How does Mr. Rooter, Roto Rooter & Bosco get jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Mr. Rooter, Roto Rooter & Bosco get jobs

From my experience there plumbers are **** & there pricing is insane.

In my region they don't have to be plumbers in residential service and renovation. They could be a pizza delivery guy one day and do plumbing the next and totally be legal! They go out without a phone price or estimate. They give out a huge price on the spot and its up to the customer to accept or not. They do not charge if they get turned away. Most will accept because they are already there and don't want to wait for another plumber. I get some calls from customers who turned them away and want a second opinion but I don't go for free. People don't know any better about regulations and shady practices.

What I suspect what they do illegally is since its flat rate they need by law to provide a written estimate on time it takes and material list and costs. I don't think they do that so the customer would win in court on the incomplete estimate so they can make an informed decision. An estimate in my province is a contract and the total cost cannot be changed after the work has started.

Comment

People put their trust these well known companies since they have the familiar trucks are licensed,bonded and insured. This does not garuntee a good outcome but it does increase the odds that they want a qualified technician to represent the company in order to continue to bring revenue in. Those trucks need to go out and bring in cash and so I'm sure the people that hire do the best they can with the available labor pool. If a guy was flipping burgers a couple of days ago and you've got calls coming in, you do what you gotta do I guess.

Many technicians in all crafts learn only one a few things to get by. Some electricians, plumbers, HVAC and sprinkler fitters might only do certain task like only run bulk mains or only install gear or pumps or only do finish work. But the best and more competant mechanics tend to be well versed in all aspects of their crafts even delve or are familiar enough with other crafts to have a good understanding of how it all comes together which means that they rarely get in over their ability to solve a problem.

I imagine the same is true for a drain technician, They may or may not know what it takes to do a job competently but I think you'll find that the best ones tend to be low key well rounded and do not necessarily work for the more well known companies but rather are a one truck shop, are licensed, bonded, insured and pick up jobs word of mouth and often out perform the others because they set the schedule not some dispatcher who doesn't understand what it takes to get a job done.

Comment

I get new customers tell me often they used , Roto Rooter, Mr rooter, Rooter hero or whatever big company just one time and never called them again due to the crazy high prices. Most customers don't stick around. Roto rooter, Mr rooter have dozens of other plumbing company's under different names to, with the same high prices.

Comment

Every franchise is different. I work at roto and take alot of pride in my work and our prices are somewhere in the middle. We pride ourselves on honesty and our no BS warranties for the work we do as well, but I know we may be an exception. I will say I have gone behind many small shops and cleaned sewers that they were not even able to poke open and telling customers "oh theres roots in the line so it must need to be replaced" yeah no usually a couple passes with a 4" pear and camera inspection shows people that their sewers are fine. the door swings both ways.
          -Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Cable or root View Post
            Every franchise is different. I work at roto and take alot of pride in my work and our prices are somewhere in the middle. We pride ourselves on honesty and our no BS warranties for the work we do as well, but I know we may be an exception. I will say I have gone behind many small shops and cleaned sewers that they were not even able to poke open and telling customers "oh theres roots in the line so it must need to be replaced" yeah no usually a couple passes with a 4" pear and camera inspection shows people that their sewers are fine. the door swings both ways.

Yes, I refer my local Rooter Rooter out as they do a great job for an average price. They even refer me out when they get too busy.

Comment

I have a neighbor 4 houses down from me and ARS rescue rooter has been there 10days just milking a dig up. Worst thing about it is they have 1 labor guy there digging, poor guy. What grinds my gears is that these big company's have their plumbers working their asses off long hours and the ones making the money are the Managers.

Comment

Here the franchises receive poor marks from past clients in general. (Yelp was a good read for Minneapolis)

When asked for referrals on plumbing work I will tell customers who not to use.
                The Roto's, Franklin's, Bonfe's and other chains in the area.

I still get customers who go against my advice, use a franchise and then endlessly complain
                about their work and prices.

Although I do get referrals from Roto Rooter.

Comment

Working...
                X