Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP and Vista on same LAN don't talk

Hey All,

How many of you have previous versions of Windows running on your home network and also have a computer running Microsoft Vista (any flavor)?

If yes have you had problems sharing files, folders, and printers between them?

Can you even see the XP computers from the Vista machine and vice-versa?

I recently bought a notebook for my Mom to replace her old one running WinME. While I have it at home getting it setup for her to use and making a full backup I found that I had the problems I mention above. Did some searching and found that many others have the same trouble on their local LANs with older versions of Windows and Vista.

I found on Microsoft's site that installing the Link Layer Topology and Discovery Responder on the XP machines should make them visible to the Vista computer, but no dice. I tried to install the driver for her printer which is less than a year old, no driver that will work with Vista from either Microsoft or HP.

I don't think you have a choice any longer as to which OS you can get if you are looking for Windows as your OS, its some version Vista or nothing.

I know there are other choices for an OS out there, I have a MAC running OS10 and a Sun UltraSPARC running Solaris 9 and I've done the Linux thing long ago. That's not what I am getting at. This sure seems to me to be a way to keep people hooked on Windows but force them to upgrade Vista Basic to a higher level version to get back the features they had with XP and/or to make connectivity with XP machines such a PITA that they will dump XP and go to Vista. Remember how long people held on to Win2K (Windows 2000). Heck I still have a machine running WinME and I didn't take my WinNT servers off line until late in 2005.

So have you had the same problem I have seen with Vista and if so what have you done about it?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Re: XP and Vista on same LAN don't talk

I JUST BOUGHT A LAPTOP AND WAS FORCED INTO VISTA. I HAVE 5 WORDS FOR WINDOWS BILL GATES. SHOVE IT UP YOUR A**: I hate vista, it dosen't communicate with my desk top, it won't communicate with my printer, it is worthless, I purchased new windows xp software, downloaded and thought I was free of vista forever, not! my wireless wouldn't. well, thats my opinion.
    sigpic

Robert

Comment

I have no plans of switching to Vista within the next 2 years so I wont be of much help.

You have a few options. Reformat and install XP on the new laptop. upgrade to xp on your other machines. Or keep looking for the answer.

Sorry I cant be of much help.

Josh

Comment

I have a customer for my computer business that purchased two new computers without consulting me. These arrived with Vista pre-installed. I warned them it will be expensive to keep the computers. I tried to talk them into installing XP instead. No dice. So, billable hours skyrocket. Their other systems are a windows XP Home edition laptop and a Windows 2000 workstation. Also, due to the nature of the building I was forced to use power-line Ethernet adapters.

Finally got XP to "see" the other computers and share files. To a point. Windows XP home is a cruddy OS as well. The tricky part of this was, as Bob said, the Link Layer Topo and the Discovery Responder. I had to enable these and edit the registry. Only to find out that MS Office XP does NOT work well on Windows Vista. There is no fix for that other than to go to MS Office 2007. For the registry edit information, I found a page at Microsoft support on what to edit. After doing that, Vista for the most part, would work on the network and see the workgroup properly. At odd times, however, Vista will decide not to be in the workgroup. That's when they call and it's a minimum 1 hr. service call. I was, however, able to get the Vista to see and be able to copy files from the XP Home and Win2K machines. Could not edit directly on them (Office XP problem), but could copy the files locally and work on them. I also was able to get the Vista systems to see the shared printers and other resources. It's flaky, it's unreliable, and Vista needs to go back into testing. Blow it away and install XP.

As of today, I have blown away the one Vista machine and installed XP on it. The other is in the hands of the Exec. Dir....she's not terribly technical and unfortunately decided she likes the Vista eye candy. All well and good...I'll just keep billing them hourly.

The only real solution to Vista in a mixed network is ..... Windows XP!! Even Mac OS X works better with MS OS's than Vista! I can't believe how people are being sucked into Vista when it's obvious it's still in Beta. I guess M$ figured if you can get Beta testers to pay retail, then ...well...YAY! Personally, I'll change over to OS X before Vista. At least Apple tests most things.
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Just bought a new laptop and was forced into vista - but I got smart...
          Before I even booted it, I formatted the drive and installed XP...
          Finding the drivers was a bit of a headache but 6 hrs later, I have a fully functional computer - not a vista-handicapped piece of cr**...

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. Since this notebook will be stand-alone and not live on my network I'm not too concerned. The one old WinME machine I have just won't die. I could upgrade it to XP-Pro which I am running on all my other computers but it doesn't seem worth it.

I will "sneaker net" (anybody remember that term?) anything over to the Vista notebook that I need to. I was just going to dump a bunch of photos on there for my Mom to look at when she gets the computer. As long as it I can get the printer working it will be good for her and what she does which is a little surfing and reading/writing emails.

Big picture I still think this is a ploy by M$ to get people to move from the old OS (XP and earlier versions) sooner to Vista. If you remember there was a long delay in the corporate world (and rightly so) when XP launched. I think Bill wants a faster return on his investment and to be able to kill off support for XP sooner.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Holy crap Bob's a computer geek and seems like he has been one at least as long as me !! Sneaker Net LOL.
              I have not had the pleasure of Vista yet but making 95 on a 386 talk to XP is no treat either. I have found that any MS OS is crap at finding computers on the net. Have you tried doing a search using the computer name? Is the virus software disabled? The other trick that has worked well is installing NetBios as a protocol (loaded along with TCPIP), it seems to work better than TCPIP for local network communication, especially between Win2K and ME for some reason.

Comment

OK, how about rather than bashing MS we get some basic info as to what the configuration even is in the first place. Vista might have its share of problems but one thing MS operating systems do quite well is network between themselves. When they don't its a configuration issue at some point.
                First how are you networking these machines? Do you have router assigning the IP's? Are you manually assigning IP's? If so are they on the same subnet? Are you using a crossover cable? Are they hooked up via a conventional switch/hub? Are you relying on the basic dynamic DHCP built in to windows? How are drives and printers shared? Have you tried pinging the other machine to see if a connection is actually established? Also, what is running as a firewall and is it by default blocking TCP traffic on the LAN?
                Last edited by Velosapien; 07-09-2007, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Bob, if you still want a Vista driver for the printer give me the model #, I will see what I can do.

Comment

Velosapien, I've found that Vista really does have issues with other MS OS's. I haven't yet tried it on my LAN (WinXP, Mac OSX, and Linux boxen from time to time), so I don't know about how it interoperates with other OS's.

What I do know is that Windows broke the "Master Browser" protocols. Their very own protocols. This appears to be causing Vista computers to misbehave on the network, and the vista systems will eventually drop out of the workgroup, if indeed you do get them to join it to begin with.

That being said, checking the basics is always a VERY good idea. I'll never forget the 6 hours I spent beating on a server that wouldn't get on the network only to finally go behind the rack and realize the network cable never got plugged in!! So, check the workgroup, the DHCP, make sure your router isn't trying to subnet or something. If you've got a "smart" switch, check your VLAN settings. Make sure all systems can ping one another and themselves.

I am not generally an MS-basher. Whatever works, and makes the users' lives easier...hey, that's fine. I have absolutely no problem with MS in general. What I do dislike is when they purposefully break protocols, even their OWN, simply to propagate a new system to their benefit. There are other, more troubling, issues with Vista than just internetworking at this point. Microsoft is pushing everything to DX10 exclusive of ANY other alternative. What this means is ALL games are going Vista/XBox. There will be no alternative graphics development, which leaves Mac and Linux in the cold. This will push their Xbox sales even further. It's something I despise, but is a smart move, I suppose.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
                    X