X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer & Vista Questions

Asked the computer geeks at my local Best Buys store if they would install windows xp on a new computer they sold with vista? The answer was no, but one of the guys slipped me a piece of paper with "newegg.com" written on it. Obviously you can install and run windows xp on these computers and from most of the feedback I've heard vista is not better than xp. Why did they have to change the operating system? Why not give you a choice?

Comment

Some companies selling "customized" computers for business users still offer Windows XP Professional as an option. If you have a full version of Windows XP Professional on CD and with service pack 2 or a CD with SP 2 on it, you can do a hard drive cleaning and install it.

As for the Microsoft Office 2007 files and trying to open them with Office 2003 or Office XP there's a special file that can be downloaded. I don't think you can edit and save it as the newer format but you can save it as an older type which should open with Office 2007.

There is a big issue with printers, scanners, digital cameras and more not having drivers. This even includes some wild monitor and graphics card issues.

Bottom line: You might inquire with DELL tech support about installing XP Professional for now if that's what's on your other PCs. I would not even think of networking computers without all having the same operating system.

I'm not the expert here. VASandy is much better at this than I am. I have asked several other techs and they are holding back on Vista. It's new and needs time. I remember cussing when I upgraded to Windows XP Professional on my current PC only to find some of my older software had to be run on a DOS platform which ended with Windows 98SE. I kept my older PC to for some time until I was able to purchase newer software.

Comment

All right I broke down and decided to set the thing up. All I can say so far is WOW is this thing fast. I'm sure it will take me a while to figure it all out but it is like one big shortcut which anticipates your wants.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          All right I broke down and decided to set the thing up. All I can say so far is WOW is this thing fast. I'm sure it will take me a while to figure it all out but it is like one big shortcut which anticipates your wants.

Mark
          Part of the learning curve I was talking about.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

All that VaSandy has to say is pretty much what I'd heard as well about Vista.
            Woussko asked why they keep changing..um...money.
            I seriously am thinking of trying a MAC, unless Mark has encouraging things to say regarding software/hardware compatibility.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              All that VaSandy has to say is pretty much what I'd heard as well about Vista.
              Woussko asked why they keep changing..um...money.
              I seriously am thinking of trying a MAC, unless Mark has encouraging things to say regarding software/hardware compatibility.
              Lets not turn this into a what I heard about Vista thread. I am running it on 3 computers 3 different versions. It is by far the best OS M$ has released. If you are not running it you have no opinion here.
              SSG, U.S. Army
              Retired
              K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Let's see here...Yep,Open dicsussion.I'm in the right place.

What was that TOD.This place smells like burnt hair.A Little thick eh?.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                  Let's see here...Yep,Open dicsussion.I'm in the right place.

What was that TOD.This place smells like burnt hair.A Little thick eh?.
                  I hate that smell....

I always thought opinions were free...

I,ve heard that the newest Mac OS isn't all it's cracked up to be either...

A big part of the problem is consumerism... it's what makes the world go round.
                  I think that to the general masses even Win98 machines from a few years ago are capable of more then the average guy knows (or cares) about.
                  People just want to read their email and share pics with granny etc. and they don't want to spend one or two grand every other year to update their hardware in order to use the latest chunk of bloatware that has to be churned out in order to keep the wheels of industry turning and everyone employed...
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------
                  All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                    Lets not turn this into a what I heard about Vista thread. I am running it on 3 computers 3 different versions. It is by far the best OS M$ has released. If you are not running it you have no opinion here.
                    Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                    I still have an opinion, I'm entitled to take inventory from others experience.
                    I'm allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                      I hate that smell....

I always thought opinions were free...

I,ve heard that the newest Mac OS isn't all it's cracked up to be either...

A big part of the problem is consumerism... it's what makes the world go round.
                      I think that to the general masses even Win98 machines from a few years ago are capable of more then the average guy knows (or cares) about.
                      People just want to read their email and share pics with granny etc. and they don't want to spend one or two grand every other year to update their hardware in order to use the latest chunk of bloatware that has to be churned out in order to keep the wheels of industry turning and everyone employed...
                      Wouldn't it be just peachy if couple more OS's popped into the scene..I don't mean linux either...a couple of user friendly competitors would certainly shake things up a bit.

Comment

I have installed, used, uninstalled, and fixed every type of PC out there. Vista has it's good points, but there are compatibility issues that must be considered before jumping into it. I have customers with Vista, and for the most part their experience is not what I'd call satisfactory. In a year or 2, it'll be better.

I have and use a Mac. Mostly, the Mac does all the business end of things (pictures, spreadsheets, documents, etc) and email. I like the Mac for doing documentation, as the software is much easier than Office for incorporating pictures and editing them. The Mac's iWork applications are great. The Spreadsheet is one of the most user-friendly I've ever used. For the most part, I use the PC mostly for gaming and such. I play CoD4 and a few other online games, and the PC is the platform I prefer. I hate consoles, personally.

I keep a few PC's around to play with customer configurations and software. It's important to be able to duplicate customer issues.

For your information, by the way, the new HP computers with Vista can't be "uninstalled". By this I mean, you can't remove Vista and install XP without going through a LOT of trouble. HP has made the computers proprietary to Vista. If you buy an HP from Costco assuming you can just install XP on it, don't bother. It's just not worth the hassle and problems. Dell Vostro line of PC's and laptops can be ordered with XP Pro instead of Vista.

There was, some time ago, an OS called BeOS. It was a really friendly graphical-based OS that was compatible, easy, and intuitive. BeOS went out of business shortly after the US DOJ wrapped up the suit against M$. BeOS could no longer afford to do business with Microsoft's marketing relationships. In that M$ will give the OS to manufacturer's (especially considering the likes of HP's newest marketing paradigm and proprietary OS) with the agreement that ONLY MICROSOFT be offered and other non-competitive arrangements, other OS manufacturers face a very difficult path to market. If Linux wasn't a free OS, it would have died out when BeOS did.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Vista is overall the best OS from MS so far. If you are buying a new PC you might as well bite the bullet now rather than having to respend money on new OS later, unless you have some known compatibility issues or hardware requirements it's not worth hopping back to XP. It will always take time while every bug is squashed, all hardware and software providers catch up and get into the swing of things and people start getting the feel for it, but all things considered Vista has been the smoothest transition to a new MS operating system ever. Over 5 years ago when XP was introduced it was considered an overall disaster which offered nothing substantial over Win2k, but now is considered a fine OS. Win2000 was by far the most painfull since it was the first to make the jump for a mainstream OS from the Windows 9X core to the NT core. It took years for driver and software support to fully catch up but in the end it was probably MS' finest system.

Comment

Originally posted by TOD View Post
                            I am running Office 2000 on my Vista computer with no problems. I also find it hard to believe that Office XP won't run.
                            Office XP and 2000 do work with Vista but they are past their mainstream support period. Right now they are in extended support which basically means mostly only updates relating to security will be adressed. Any other problems that may arise will no longer be resolved.

Comment

Okay, I won't change this into a "what I heard about vista" discussion. I would like to talk about change and what we consider progress. As a retired Telephone man I've seen what progress can do and if it were up to me we would go back to operators placing our calls, no cell phones, pagers, no computers or internet. No power accessories on cars, no microwaves! All our plumbing would be sweated and all our electrical panels would use fuses. You blow a fuse, either replace it or stick a penny in there and hope for the best. All this technology has not helped us, just made us lazy and more dependant. We need to toughen up, you check'in for gas? Carry a canary in a cage. You check'in for electricity? Lick your first two fingers and hold on! Now let's be real men and stop all this foolishness about computers and operating systems. What are we girlie men?

Comment

I give Vista (Vista Business) a thumbs up and I have been running it on my laptop since last July. The only issue I have had is with MS Office. I was running Office 2003 and had to upgrade to Office 2007 because of incompatibility. Other than that, it's been great.
                                Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Working...
                                X