X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer & Vista Questions

I ordered a new Dell computer the other day and I am looking for some advice from any tech savvy guys/gals out there. It of course came with Vista so I am wondering about any issues with it and compatibility with other programs. Most of the programs I use that matter are all Microsoft Office stuff.

This computer is what I call my Media computer as I use it for watching TV in my office when I am not using it for sewer videos and photos. The computer is a Dell XPS 420 with a Intel 2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB), a Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music sound card, a 512MB Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT video card, ATI Theater 650 PRO Combo TV Tuner and Logitech Z-5500 speakers. The computer also comes with a setup Dell calls Xcelerator which is suppose to make it easier for working with MPEG 4 files. The computer will be mated to an existing dell 24”WS monitor.

So besides the Vista questions and the fact this may overwhelm my little office do you see any compatibility problems or things I should prepare for?

Thanks-Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Re: Computer & Vista Questions

Originally posted by ToUtahNow;11346

Thanks-Mark
    Ummm. . .did you just call Brenda stupid? (just teasing ya)

You can order the dell with XP still
    I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
      Ummm. . .did you just call Brenda stupid? (just teasing ya)

You can order the dell with XP still
      LOL-I would not dare as she is my rock. Today is our 37th Wedding Anniversary and she thinks we are still in High School. I'm sure our next 37-years will be just as exciting.

As for XP it is only available on certain Dell computers and it was not available on this model. Besides this is my least critical computer and I figured I will have to transition to Vista some day so why not today. They also say most of what I want to do (video & photo editing) is really enhanced under Vista so I guess it's time to set my fears aside and go for it.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
        LOL-I would not dare as she is my rock. Today is our 37th Wedding Anniversary and she thinks we are still in High School. I'm sure our next 37-years will be just as exciting.

As for XP it is only available on certain Dell computers and it was not available on this model. Besides this is my least critical computer and I figured I will have to transition to Vista some day so why not today. They also say most of what I want to do (video & photo editing) is really enhanced under Vista so I guess it's time to set my fears aside and go for it.

Mark
        I know-that is why I was teasing you. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Besides with dell you can get a pink computer!

Leap into new technology
        I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Thank you Joey

Mark

Comment

pink one???

Doubt they have it..maybe on backorder..Robert got the last one

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
              pink one???

Doubt they have it..maybe on backorder..Robert got the last one

that's the one he uses to watch oprah

rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

Runnig Vista on 3 computers here and no problems other than the learning curve of a new OS. What version of Vista will it have and how much ram? It needs to have at least 2 gig and Ultimate is the way to go. Also as long as it is the 32 bit version of Vista you should have no problems with your software.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I recently got a Dell system with Windows Vista for my parents. Office XP that they already had is not compatible as I found out the hard way, as well as a few other programs they were using. Windows XP worked much better and faster!

Comment

I am sticking with XP for the time being. The biggest deterrent for me upgrading is that vista is a power hog. If this is your media computer then vista is probably the right choice. I don't have any experience with Vista yet I just know you don't buy a Microsoft product for 1.5 years after its been out so they can take care of the bugs.

The computer you listed the specs for is pretty kick butt. Very powerful machine so it should handle vista easily as long as there is enough ram. Not sure on the compatibility issues. I would have thought office xp would still run. Shame on Microsoft if it doesn't.

Josh

Comment

I am running Office 2000 on my Vista computer with no problems. I also find it hard to believe that Office XP won't run.
                      SSG, U.S. Army
                      Retired
                      K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

I've worked with and uninstalled Vista on a number of systems. Vista Business will eventually crash when using Office XP. I haven't used Office 2000 on Vista, so it's possible there aren't problems. The more Office XP is used on Vista Business, it seems to kind of build up some problems that lead to complete system failures. I've had one system with Vista Home/Media that had multiple issues with Office XP. Keep in mind that the new version of Office (Office 2007) defaults to an INCOMPATIBLE file format. Files written in Office 2007 CANNOT be read with Office XP. Please, if you're using Office 2007, pay attention when you save a file and choose a file format that is compatible with the older versions!!

The most vexing issues with Vista are hardware. Printers may or may not work. There's issues with some external hard drives, cameras, etc. Be very careful on the peripherals you choose for your system.

Currently, I am telling my customers to avoid Vista as the cost of ownership skyrockets quickly. For a small business with a couple computers, the cost of even ONE Vista system can be prohibitive when faced with having to replace printers and upgrade software.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Okay here is a little more background. The computer has 3 GB of ram and will have Vista home ultimate with digital cable support. It will be preloaded with a vista compatible office so I am more concerned as to whether I will have any problems editing or reading files created on XP on the new Vista Office.

The computer this is replacing is tied into a couple of printers via my network but I cannot ever remember sending anything to the printers from that computer. To better explain my desk has three monitors and three separate CPUs. When I am doing photo or sewer logs I will review photos on the "media" computer and then input the information into an Excel spreadsheet on my "forensic" computer and my inspection log onto the "black" computer. I know I could do this with one computer and multiple windows but when I am doing thousands of photos this makes it much faster.

VASandy brings up a concern I had not even thought of. I'm not sure if my current cameras are Vista compatible which could be a bad thing. Would it make a difference that I use card readers rather than the devise to download the data? As storage media I am currently using SD, SDHC and CF cards.

As a fail-safe I recently found out the 14-month old Dell this is replacing (fried motherboard after a power outage) is out of warranty with Dell but has a one year extended warranty with Costco. So if I end up with too many compatibility issues Brenda will get a new computer and I will reinstall the one which Costco is suppose to come repair.

Thanks again for all of the help.

Mark

I just checked and the Office is Office 2007 so if I edit I guess I will have to save to an Office 2003 format. This will be interesting when receiving and or sending attachments to different Law Firms.
                          Last edited by ToUtahNow; 01-02-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Office 2007 should be backwards compatable with Office XP. You need to see if you can get Vista drivers for the printers. File and print sharing will be a learning curve with Vista.
                            SSG, U.S. Army
                            Retired
                            K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Wow I ordered this thing the night of 12/28 and was given an estimated ship date of 1/8. Today is 1/2, I just walked out front and the thing was sitting at my door. That seems pretty fast to build and ship a computer considering this is a holiday week. Now the question is do I swap it out now or wait until Costco comes and fixes the other Dell. Maybe I had better wait.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X