Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Bring A Laptop to work?

Hey Guys,

I am wondering if any of you guys carry a laptop with you on the truck?

Let me know

Thanks in advance !

Re: Anyone Bring A Laptop to work?

not yet, but it is on the list of things i wish to add. not for daily use but as a resource. looking at a small Vaio

steve
    In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

i've been for the last 8 years. i use it for invoicing along with my cannon bjc55 portable printer. this printer has been discontinued 4-5 years ago and updated to a larger less portable unit.

don't worry, i bought 3 when they were getting hard to find

now that wireless is so much more available, i can usually log onto a wireless network from the road and when i do, joey seems to know as my phone will ring. bla... bla,bla,bla... bla

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
        i've been for the last 8 years. i use it for invoicing along with my cannon bjc55 portable printer. this printer has been discontinued 4-5 years ago and updated to a larger less portable unit.

don't worry, i bought 3 when they were getting hard to find

now that wireless is so much more available, i can usually log onto a wireless network from the road and when i do, joey seems to know as my phone will ring. bla... bla,bla,bla... bla

rick.
        Awesome

I was thinking of making some Ridgid Blog posts to show some cool gadgets that I use to make my office COMPLETELY mobile

Phone, Web cam, Video etc

It todays world you can even stream live video from any job in seconds

Thanks for posting guys and I would love more responses

Comment

I'd be afraid to.
          I have a letter sized metal case that all checks, reciepts & paperwork go straight into.
          The case is dented and scratched from months of concussive contact with tools stock and...me.
          I regularly clean the cab with degreaser and elbow grease...I don't think a laptop couild handle that type of abuse.
          Besides the fact that the only use for it on the road for me would be to type out & print invoices, estimates & reciepts, I doubt there's a mobile printer that'd fit in a truck.
          I keep blank templates for those things and hand write when needed.
          Last edited by DuckButter; 05-19-2008, 12:26 PM.

Comment

hp has a great one

HP Deskjet 460wf Mobile Printer with Wireless Connectivity (C8152A#A2L)

Professional, portable mobile InkJet printer with battery pack and built-in WiFi card
            Crisp and clear 4,800 dpi print quality
            PictBridge-enabled for printing straight from mobile phones and PDAs; SD/MMC card slot to print straight from memory cards
            Super-fast USB 2.0 and WiFi connectivity; accepts HP Bluetooth cards (sold separately)
            1-year limited manufacturer's warranty
            Price:$348.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by mrs. westcoast View Post
              hp has a great one

HP Deskjet 460wf Mobile Printer with Wireless Connectivity (C8152A#A2L)

Professional, portable mobile InkJet printer with battery pack and built-in WiFi card
              Crisp and clear 4,800 dpi print quality
              PictBridge-enabled for printing straight from mobile phones and PDAs; SD/MMC card slot to print straight from memory cards
              Super-fast USB 2.0 and WiFi connectivity; accepts HP Bluetooth cards (sold separately)
              1-year limited manufacturer's warranty
              Price:$348.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

WITH A ( My Dream )

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                I'd be afraid to.
                I have a letter sized metal case that all checks, reciepts & paperwork go straight into.
                The case is dented and scratched from months of concussive contact with tools stock and...me.
                I regularly clean the cab with degreaser and elbow grease...I don't think a laptop couild handle that type of abuse.
                Besides the fact that the only use for it on the road for me would be to type out & print invoices, estimates & reciepts, I doubt there's a mobile printer that'd fit in a truck.
                I keep blank templates for those things and hand write when needed.

All of Rick's checks go right into his shirt pockets. Paperwork goes into his computer bag with the computer and printer.

In the end it really saves. He doesn't have to come home and type in the invoice he already wrote up. He doesn't have to decipher what it is he wrote. . . and neither does the customer.

You just need a basic laptop for work. Rick got one on sale at Radio Shack the last time. They really are more durable than you would think. I know I drop mine way more than Rick ever has and no problems
                I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

I keep a laptop with me, in a bag. whatever truck I'm driving, I know I have what I need when the laptop's on board.

I have MS streets & trips on it so If I have trouble finding a supply house or customer's place, I can look it up. All Cellphones have GPS in them, so I got a cheap laptop data cable that'll power the phone when the GPS is running(very hungry)

it's also good for looking up spec sheets (you can usually snag a wifi signal in this area)
                  http://www.refined-home.com

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                    All of Rick's checks go right into his shirt pockets.
                    Stop right there, I really, really hope he's better with checks than those blue dye pills he leaves in his shirt...

I religiously put checks in my case, period.
                    I know me...I'd be wondering if every crumbled piece of paper in the dryer filter were a check I'd missed.
                    I'm that way with reciepts also, I lost ONE reciept all year last year, I use credit cards for all stock purchases so I can cross reference, every penny on those receipts is money back on taxes.
                    If I had wireless access on the job, forget me, I'd sit in my truck all day yacking at you guys and enjoying all the wholesome goodness the internet has to offer.
                    I figure the toys above would run me around $1 - $2K, for the ability to type out info I normally hand write.

Heck, I'm not a doctor, my handwriting ain't that bad!
                    As for looking up stock online, I have a good dozen numbers set on speed dial on my cell for different suppliers depending what area I'm in.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter;144233[B
                      I religiously put checks in my case, period.[/B]
                      I know me...I'd be wondering if every crumbled piece of paper in the dryer filter were a check I'd missed.
                      I'm that way with reciepts also, I lost ONE reciept all year last year, I use credit cards for all stock purchases so I can cross reference, every penny on those receipts is money back on taxes.
                      AMEN, and any "washed" check is money NOT in my pocket. i'm very anal about checks, invoices, receipts, etc. once i get lax i'm doomed

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

No, not yet.

I wish I had the internet/laptop available in my van. Usually I write stuff on a pad of paper then look them up when I get home. I would love to pull up blueprints, order materials, and read up on pump sizing info when the job called for it.

Maybe someday when I plumb in a big city.
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

I carry a laptop with me about 50% of the time. Deathly afraid that it will get broken or stolen or??? I too can usually snag a wireless signal if necessary.

Greg

Comment

I carry a TomTom GPS in the truck at all times and my phone is a Palm Treo with internet access so between the two of them I don't have much need for one.

Comment

Duck, I don't think Rick has ever washed or lost a check. First thing he does when he walks in the house is pull all the checks out. He forgets about the rest.

Looking in his pockets are like looking through a little boys pockets. . .you just might find rocks and frogs Sometimes there is cash though
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Working...
                              X