X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP service Pack 3 (Update)

OK, I downloaded it today, now my Microsoft Security is telling me I have no virus protection. Everything is on and appears to be protecting, but I cannot be 100% positive about this.

Anybody else downloaded it and ended up with some troubles?????
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Re: Windows XP service Pack 3 (Update)

Did you do a full restart after download? That way your virus protection should restart as well. Sometimes you may have to restart a second time.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

almost every geek site i've been to said DO NOT do SP3 unless you are a server or major business user. the averge joe will not see any positive applications and possibly more trouble than it's worth.

Chris Pirillo at lockergnome had harsh words (as i remember) about SP3 for XP

steve
      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
        Did you do a full restart after download? That way your virus protection should restart as well. Sometimes you may have to restart a second time.
        Of course I did....

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
        almost every geek site i've been to said DO NOT do SP3 unless you are a server or major business user. the averge joe will not see any positive applications and possibly more trouble than it's worth.

Chris Pirillo at lockergnome had harsh words (as i remember) about SP3 for XP

steve
        Well its too late for that, now I'll have to figure out on how to remove SP3...
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

START, CONTROL PANEL, ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS , then scroll down to near the bottom and you should see Windows XP Service Pack 3. Click it and then click the Remove tab. That should help. Be sure to reboot and see if it worked.

If that doesn't do it, then you need to try a System Restore.

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. I'm sure you can figure it out from there. Just pick a date and time just before you downloaded and installed Service Pack 3.

I have SP3 installed here and so far there have been no problems at all with it.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Comment

I downloaded it the other day and also had trouble with it. It even screwed up IE to the point I removed IE and the service pack and did a restore. How I just love my Firefox.

I'm waiting for awhile to see what is up with it and give them good old boys at MSN a chance to get it right.

shup

Comment

OK, I took it out at the we hours in the morning, no big deal. But I still had protection problems. After a few hours of screwing around with all my protection, I found a bug in my Microsoft Security, it was trying to take over, I got it out of my system now, where I got it from is beyond me.

I don't travel to god forsaken country. Anyhow, my puter works great again. I did download SP3 in my other desktop, went in without a hitch and is running fine. But I'll still leave SP3 out of my main computer for a while.

Thanks everyone for your inputs, I do appreciate your replies....

Comment

I almost hate to own up to this, but my new lap-top came with Vista and though it has a couple of quirks, I kinda like it.
                sigpic

Comment

What anti-virus are you using? I've seen that problem. For some reason the A-V service doesn't start automatically sometimes after installing SP3. Manually starting the service once through Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services, fixes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    What anti-virus are you using? I've seen that problem. For some reason the A-V service doesn't start automatically sometimes after installing SP3. Manually starting the service once through Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services, fixes it.
                    I had Avast, then I took it out after SP3, then I went to AVG and I had problems with both. Your right, AVG, took about 8 hrs later for it to be recognized by Microsoft Security and now it says "on". Now everything is just fine. None of my other protections acted up, just the virus ones. Spybot detected a bug in Microsoft Security, which I removed. Whether it was a real threat, who knows, because I was to lazy to do my research on it. I just deleted it out.

Comment

Sure glad I use Linux

Go
                      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                        I almost hate to own up to this, but my new lap-top came with Vista and though it has a couple of quirks, I kinda like it.
                        I second that , I heard all these nasty things about vista until I got my new HP laptop and vista rocks,

I love the LARGE thumbnails feature ( I have a 17' screen )
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

downloaded it and works fine with me..

Comment

Working...
                          X