Tell me about Mac computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about Mac computers

My computer is eight years old and is starting to give me some problems. I have replaced the power supply and had a guy work on it last year. It locks up on me frequently. I think it is just time to get a new one.

My computer is a 1.2 GHz, 512 mb ram & it says I have 28.59 Gb of free space. I only use it for the internet, pictures, & ipod with some Microsoft word stuff.

Anyway, I am thinking of getting a Mac because of the positive reviews I have heard. I really don't know much about them but people that have them seem to think they are the BOMB. (Hello NSA).

The one I am thinking of getting is http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/...fg=MB323LL%2FA

No real reason set on the Imac just what I came up with. If you have any experience with Macs let me know and what model you would recommend.
    Use your old computer until it dies
    7.69%
    Buy the Imac
    46.15%
    Buy another personal computer Dell, Compaq, Hp ect
    15.38%
    Get a laptop
    30.77%
    Other- please post explaination
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Tell me about Mac computers

Know a lady that has one. At the time it was THE monster in the MAC lineup. G8 Clear Tower or something like that. She is also very Windows literate. Despite what alot of MAC owners read and say, they also lock and crash. Seen it myself. Safari screws up and is slow. But my experience with this person and other friends that owned them is they loved them because of the "cool" factor.

In short, it made them feel good when they used it based on look and feel. That's cool, just doesn't do much for me. I need mostly function.

Depends what you want to do with any new cpu also. The majority of business people I know can't buy a cpu that won't meet there needs. They don't play games, mess with music much, or work with graphics which is most taxing on the system.

I think that Apple makes a good product. But I also think there are many Windows based machines that are equally is good.

I use a Toshiba laptop, Pentium 4, Hyperthreading, 100GB, 802.11 wireless, DVD burner & blah, blah, blah.

I use Windows XP so I know nothing of Vista. I looked at ALL Apple products before my purchase but couldn't justify the $500.00 difference (at the time) across the board to complete the same tasks.

I like there products....but I favor the bottom line.

Just my opinion.

J.C.

Comment

I not really concerned about a computer making me feel cool. I just want one that will give me the least amount of problems and is easy to use.

Kinda like a power tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
        I not really concerned about a computer making me feel cool. I just want one that will give me the least amount of problems and is easy to use.

Kinda like a power tool.
        ABSOLUTELY! I don't want a warranty. I don't want it to break!

Consumer Reports has always rated Apple highly in the past. I've just known people with them that if pressed confess to problems also.

I'd ask some of the computer guys. This is a plumbers opinion.

J.C.

Comment

My brother is a computer guy, and for me, when I was getting ready to get a laptop, he said hands down, with my kids, and my occupation to get a panasonic toughbook, however I didnt like the price tag on those, so I asked him for a second best choice, and he said IBM (now Lenovo) T series. So far not one problem.

Greg

Comment

The big reason I switched to a MAC is the flood of viruses and spyware that constantly bombard windows. Lots of startup problems, etc. I have had my Mac-mini for two years and we don;t even have any virus protection....and it runs great. I have had very littel problems with my Mac. Windows blows imo.
            Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

I switched from windows to Mac about 2 years ago. And I dont regret it. I have ZERO spyware and virus problems. The thing starts up in about 5 seconds and I have had no problems with it.
              Get the warranty, it is not that expensive and it includes tech support. Apples are pricey to repair and IMO the warranty is worth it. Apple tech support is good, wait times have never been more than a minute and they are Canadians and Americans who speak english.
              www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I have had an imac since the first ones came out. I now have the G5 imac and it really rocks. There has never been a virus that has affected OS X and Since Os X, I have never had a crash. As far as speed, every PC owner that looks at mine cannot believe the speed. I wouldn't have anything else.

Comment

I don't have a Mac. But maybe I should get one next time.

I've had my Winmachine for 2 yrs. now with no viruses. Viruses come from corrupted downloads or that email you shouldn't have opened.

I guess if you don't download much you could use a Commodore 64.

J.C.

Comment

Do you see what I mean JC?

People that have them really love them. That is what has peaked my curiosity.

I have talked to a couple customers about them when I seen them at their house. They just raved about them. I still cant figure out what makes them so great, maybe because I haven't used one, yet.

Comment

Yeah Ty, I do see. But I'm also not sold. I want to complete the same task for less. And I do.

The genius of Steve Jobs and the Apple design crew is that they make a product that the end user feels good about. Creative makes products equal to or superior to the Ipod for the same price or less....but people want the Ipod. It's one of the marketing situations where form beats out function.

I need function to beat form while keeping the bottom line higher.

I've used Macs and Windows. Both have been fine with what I do. And customer service means nothing to me personally when it comes to a cpu unless I were to get a dead screen or motherboard. Anything else I'm going to friends or locally. Friends can solve anything that customer service phone people do faster. Anything more I'd take it to a local-reputable cpu center. They've got to make a living. And their plumbings motherboard is going to go out one day.

I'm ok with form over function if it's the same price or a small % higher. But I'm accomplishing what I want for $500.00 less.

Without problems or crashes. So far.

J.C.
                      Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-15-2008, 09:08 AM. Reason: Too drunk too type.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                        Do you see what I mean JC?

People that have them really love them. That is what has peaked my curiosity.

I have talked to a couple customers about them when I seen them at their house. They just raved about them. I still cant figure out what makes them so great, maybe because I haven't used one, yet.
                        What makes them great is that compared to windows machines is that they are relatively trouble free. I've had many windows pcs and each was a big pain in the *** at some point. They also have built in wireless internet which was 100 times easier to set up than the wireless I had with my windows pc.
                        Macs cost more than windows pcs but I have never had any downtime with my mac, and time=$$$.
                        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                          I use Windows XP so I know nothing of Vista.

J.C.
                          I'm no computer expert, but, in my experience, the less you know about vista (i.e. from using it) the better off you are! It appears to me that microsoft is using it as a stopgap between XP (which wasn't too awful) and the next generation. If Vista is their next generation, it's a sad commentary on them.
                          ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Once again check with CPU guys. But businesswise I don't think Microsoft knows what to do.

They constantly try to come out with a new OS that the majority don't need.

I haven't needed any "improvements" since Windows 95.

J.C.

Comment

A few months ago I started checking into a new computer and called up Dell. I knew Vista was causing some problems and so far XP was Ok for me so I asked this question.

Can I get a new Dell computer with XP installed? This led to a bunch of questions and I was told they ship all their computers with Vista installed but he could look into it.

So, I went to my local computer shop and asked if I could have a computer built with XP installed. Again, a bunch of questions as to why I don't want Vista.

Why can't I have what I want?

That is what led me to research computers and how I stumbled upon a Mac.

To be honest, the thing holding me back is the learning curve with a new system.

Comment

Working...
                              X