X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wi Fi finder software

What's the best way to get wireless? I read about a free program called netstumbler that finds free wifi for you. Are these worth it? How dangerous is this as far as someone else being able to hack your computer.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Wi Fi finder software

Netstumbler is a tool for finding wifi hotspots. If you have a laptop, load it on that and head out. You'll find lots of open wifi's. Netstumbler is not dangerous to you. Actually, it's a tool used by some of the "hackers" to find and break into wifi networks. It's not the easiest thing in the world to use, and since most public wifi hotspots advertise the fact, I've seen no real need to use it beyond testing security. If you just want to find wifi, check out your local coffee shop.

If you just want wireless for your home, you have to purchase a device that provides the wifi signal. Typically these are small routers, and they've been getting cheaper. Best Buy, Circuit City, Office Depot, and other places will carry them. You can also order them online from lots of places like thenerds.net, newegg.com and tigerdirect.com (to name but a very few). Tigerdirect has tons, as you can see at this link http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ess-Networking Other places will have just as many to choose from. Find one in your budget and install it. Note that you'll need a computer/laptop that has a wifi adapter in it to use it. Most laptops have the wifi antenna and software built in.
    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I thinking more for when I'm on the road and need to look something up on the net. I think my laptop has built in wireless. For the router, is there a monthly fee or is it plug and play?
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Mine is plug and play, the monthly fee is for the cable internet/tv.

Greg

Comment

Mine is plug and play. The wireless provider (coffee shop etc.) must be running an open network. I just move a switch on the side and connect in my "connection settings" and am on.

J.C.

Comment

When on the road, I've found most coffee shops and hotels now offer free wireless access. If you're already going to turn on the laptop, might as well just hit the wireless on/off button (just about all new laptops have this feature, check your manual) and see if you get a signal. Check with the proprietor to see if it's an open network, or if you need a key. I setup a local bistro here with free wireless for his customers, but he wanted a password on it so people would have to go in and ask. Reasonable enough, I thought. You just enter the password/key in the box when prompted and you're on your way. Most hotels allow free use of the wireless, as long as you agree to their terms and conditions. Just go to any web page when you get connected, and you'll be directed to their terms agreement page first. Click the OK/Agree button and you're good.

You can buy little keychain-type wireless access sensors that'll flash when they sense a wifi signal. That might be easier than booting up Netstumbler. When I setup a network with wireless, I have it log any Netstumbler-type activity. If I'm around when someone's using it I'll try and find out who and ask them to stop. Netstumbler can be seen as a hack attempt.

For a home wireless network setup, you connect the wireless router to the modem, just like your computer is. It's something you purchase yourself, so there's no extra monthly fees for it. Most of them are fairly simple to setup, but I recommend having a few extra hours to fuss with it. It can be a little frustrating! I'm thinking of doing a little class on setting up home wireless for the local people here. Most of my customers are having fits with wireless, so it might be helpful. Look in your local paper to see if anyone's holding classes. The Parks and Rec here does some computer classes, too.
            Last edited by VASandy; 08-20-2008, 10:18 PM.
            I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Working...
            X