X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Internet Service

Does anyone use mobile internet service with their laptop? Which one? Costs? Good/Bad? Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Mobile Internet Service

I tether my blackberry when I am on trips. You just plug it in via usb and ya have internet. Sprint is the network its on.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
      I tether my blackberry when I am on trips. You just plug it in via usb and ya have internet. Sprint is the network its on.
      Which Blackberry do you use or recommend. I am getting real tired of my Treo 700W. I even downloaded new firmware and it still seems haunted.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

8830 world edition. Ya gotta make sure your carrier supports tethering. Its not as fast as my dsl or cable but its way faster than dial up. Works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
          8830 world edition. Ya gotta make sure your carrier supports tethering. Its not as fast as my dsl or cable but its way faster than dial up. Works well.
          What does this mean?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Tethering as I understand it is basically hooking up your mobile phone/PDA to your cpu for internet service. The phone or PDA must support it and you sometimes have to pay a fee along with your typical plan.

J.C.

Comment

On BBerry you should be able to browse the net without tethering. It does cost a little though, as they charge for the amount of data transferred both ways.

Probably the best solution is EV-DO. It should be available from just about any cell phone service provider. Not free but the cost is bearable.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

As a follow up I went with the BlackBerry 8830 World Edition (Josh's recommendation) and so far I am very pleased. I now wonder why it took me so long to trash the Treo.

Mark

Comment

Mark, a few questions.

Which service do you use?
                  You tether it as a modem to your laptop, right?
                  Does the device support full internet service wirelessly and independent of a cpu?

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

JC, have you considered an air card or connecting via a free wifi location? I’m using an AT&T air card when not at a free wifi location. Depending on my connection and signal strength the air card speed will fall somewhere between a dial up and DSL connection. As far as cost I can’t tell you, the company I work for provides both laptop and card. Hope this helps….Pat

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                      Mark, a few questions.

Which service do you use?
                      You tether it as a modem to your laptop, right?
                      Does the device support full internet service wirelessly and independent of a cpu?

Thanks.

J.C.
                      I have not worked out of the office or caught up to the learning curve just yet. I do like the way it is setup and how it works and pairing it to Bluetooth devises has never been easier.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by PMR413 View Post
                        JC, have you considered an air card or connecting via a free wifi location? I’m using an AT&T air card when not at a free wifi location. Depending on my connection and signal strength the air card speed will fall somewhere between a dial up and DSL connection. As far as cost I can’t tell you, the company I work for provides both laptop and card. Hope this helps….Pat
                        I have considered it. Good to know the speed. And it always helps! Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                          I have not worked out of the office or caught up to the learning curve just yet. I do like the way it is setup and how it works and pairing it to Bluetooth devises has never been easier.

Mark
                          I like simplicity. Getting old maybe. Just too many things on alot of phones & handheld devices getting in my way.

Now I must heat my bowl of Cream of Wheat.

J.C.

Comment

I also use my blackberry to tether with Verizon. I've been very happy with the service so far. The nice thing about doing it this way is that when you're tethering, you have the option to interrupt your connection to take a call, but you don't have to. Also, if you don't have your laptop, you can still access quite a bit from your blackberry, just not as easily. Both the blackberry and laptop are fairly quick speeds... faster than DSL
                            metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

I live in a remote area, our only available dsl service was only at 256k down, 120k Up.
                              We went with verizon air card (only good cell signal in our area).
                              I used a USB720 card, plugged into a Kyocera KR2 router and hooked 2 desktops to it. Our speed was around 580k up, 260k down, but it was $60 a month.
                              Thankfully just last month we now have 1.5 dsl in our area so we went with that for less than $30 a month.

but all that to say the aircard would work good directly with laptop, as long as you know you have cell service in the area. If you decide to use with router it is a pain as router man. don't know which air cards they support, and cell providers don't know what routers support their air card.....that part took a lot of sorting out.

Comment

Working...
                              X