X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU Usage 100%

For two months I have been getting and ignoring a ballon in the bottom right hand corner of this laptop telling me that new JAVA updates are ready to be loaded. I hate to download those things because I am certain it will cause a software conflict somewhere. Well tonight I convinced myself that it will be OK and guess what? The update couldn't complete loading. I had to do a control, alt, delete and push 'end task' to get out of the download. Now my CPU usage is at 100% where before it was 4-5% and sometimes, but rarely, up into the teens.

In the processes tab of 'windows task manager' the offender is svchost.exe SYSTEM. I tried to reboot and nothing different happened, CPU usage still at 100%. If I remove JAVA is there a chance this will go away? I bought a new printer last year and after I installed the software on my desktop the same thing happened, CPU usage 100%. I was a couple days fighting, tearing my hair out trying to get the CPU usage back down. I finally figured out how to do it but I don't remember how.

Can anyone help with suggestions?

Thank You,
    Tom

Re: CPU Usage 100%

Look at processes in task manager for which programs are running, you might have spyware of adware clogging your system...might.

If it's real bad, you might have to restore to an earlier date.

Comment

I got a lead to go to www.superantispyware.com was told to download the free home user version and then scan about once a week it finds tracking cookies and other garbage cleans it off and I have been running fine ever since (about 3 months). Good luck Pat.

Comment

Duck Butter,
        I am running AVG free. I will start a scan now to see if that helps. On my desktop I have Adaware, which I understand, is for spyware. Is that correct? Should I download Adaware to this laptop and run it also? Do AVG free and Adaware protect from different threats?

Thank You,
        Tom

Comment

I don't have much experience with it, but a Google search found this page; which seems like it might help you track it down.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...is-it-running/

Comment

Tom, just to really mess with ya...adaware covers adware, there is also spyware.
            Yeah, I know..what a headache.

Try Spybot S&D as well.

Antivirus programs don't deal with adware, spyware or tracking cookies.

Comment

I'm only running superantispyware and McAfee. I'v tried other spywares and adawares with no luck. My problem was mainly tracking cookies thanks to the daughter down loading music.

Comment

Boy OH Boy! This thing is starting to get confusing. When I was in undergraduate school we had two computers each the size of a small house. In grad school we had one. Terminals were hardwired to the mainframes. In a computer class I took we learned all these imbedding rules to instruct the mainframes how to do what we wanted. I learned the stuff well enough that I was asked to TA the class. In grad school I figured out how to integrate two of the same programs so that I could double the number of variables for research I was doing and subsequently was offered an adjunct position teaching a computer class. I refused both. Then along came Windows and now I am so confused I might commit adultery and not know it.

OK, I will download Adaware and Spybot S&D and run them after the AVG free finishes. Then I will try the suggestions made by PMR413 and CPW.

I don't have a clue about what you mean by restoring to an earlier date. Maybe this thing is over the head of the casual user - namely - me.

One of my wife's grad students is a second year, computer science, masters student. Maybe it is time to send this laptop to school with my wife and have her grad student look at it and give him $20.00.

Thank You,
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X