X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu cooling

My cpu heat alarms are going off all the time. I have an LGA775 cpu and an intel fan and heat sink that has worked fine for about a year and a half.I cleaned off the heat sink as soon as the alarms started. I'm still getting readings of 140 degrees from the cpu temp. sensor and windows is not stable. Any suggestions?
    Mike

Re: cpu cooling

Any dust on the air inlets on the tower?

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
      My cpu heat alarms are going off all the time. I have an LGA775 cpu and an intel fan and heat sink that has worked fine for about a year and a half.I cleaned off the heat sink as soon as the alarms started. I'm still getting readings of 140 degrees from the cpu temp. sensor and windows is not stable. Any suggestions?
      Mike
      Do you have the proper heat sink compound between the CPU and the heat sink? It is a silicon based grease that to me is reminiscent of pipe dope. You lightly slather it on the heat sink and it fills any gaps between the heat sink and CPU. It is a bit messy, and also tends to "glue" the chip and heat sink together (not really permantently though).

Comment

140 doesn't sound all that hot. Heres a web you can check your processor by brand and type.

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/conten...=maxtemp.shtml

Comment

I'm guessing that's 140F you're refering to which is perfectly normal. Thats 60C which is quite cool for a CPU. If thats 140C that would be very bad.

Just in case check the cpu fan, it might be dead or close to it. If the CPU is getting extremely hot that fan should be running really fast. If it's barely moving then it's time to replace.
          Last edited by Velosapien; 09-01-2008, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
            Do you have the proper heat sink compound between the CPU and the heat sink? It is a silicon based grease that to me is reminiscent of pipe dope. You lightly slather it on the heat sink and it fills any gaps between the heat sink and CPU. It is a bit messy, and also tends to "glue" the chip and heat sink together (not really permantently though).
            I'm guessing he does have thermal paste since he appears to be using a boxed intel cpu and heatsink. They bring the paste already attached to the heatsink in a rubbery pad. What I don't remember if is if they brought a plastic film to protect it during shipping that had to be removed before attaching the heatsink.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies.
              The temp. alarm was the only problem I found when my computer would shut down and restart for no reason. I'm also getting a messege "windows has recovered from serious hangover"
              So far I've cleaned all heatsinks and fan outlets and run a cleanboot disk to look for viruses. Check disk runs up to 99% and shuts down. I'm guessing that is normal?
              Could a failing power supply cause these problems?
              Mike

Comment

I've read they often don't engineer laptops properly for processor cooling. Just plain poor craftsmanship in the design.

J.C.

Comment

I'm on the laptop now. The tower is the problem child. I have it opened up on my workbench now, next to the laptop. I pulled the fan and heatsink. I've cleaned up both surfaces and I'm getting new heat conducting slime tomorrow. Also, in reserching this problem on the internet, I've found that I should test the RAM too. I'm going to have a busy next couple of nights. And if I cant make it work Out comes the bronze ball peen hammer!
                  Mike

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                    Thanks everyone for the replies.
                    The temp. alarm was the only problem I found when my computer would shut down and restart for no reason. I'm also getting a messege "windows has recovered from serious hangover"
                    So far I've cleaned all heatsinks and fan outlets and run a cleanboot disk to look for viruses. Check disk runs up to 99% and shuts down. I'm guessing that is normal?
                    Could a failing power supply cause these problems?
                    Mike
                    You should start by figuring out why the temp alarm is buzzing. Many systems have a failsafe where they detect if the CPU is overheating and will reboot or shut down the system to avoid frying the CPU. They also monitor fan RPM to make sure it's not seized and will shut down if the fan is not detected working. The temperature of your CPU appears to be within the normal range but then again random rebooting, crashing and instability are the trademark signs of an overheating CPU. Thats should be the first thing you check given the temp alarm. I would change the fan first. It's possible it's not spinning up to adequate speeds. The days of passive coolong are long gone. All modern CPU's require a healthy flow of air over the heatsink to keep the temp in check.

It could also be the rpm metering is not working even though the fan is. That would trigger false alarms on many systems. If that were the case then your system instability could be caused by pretty much almost anything from bad ram, corrupted drive or OS install. A faulty/cheap power supply that can't supply enough or steady power, video card, motherboard, practically anything. RAM, and hard drive are usually a good place to start testing.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                    I've read they often don't engineer laptops properly for processor cooling. Just plain poor craftsmanship in the design.

J.C.
                    This is true and has been a problem with many models. Many machines are packed way too tight for efficient cooling. Regardless you should always keep laptops on places where the have good airflow and the vents are not restricted. That pretty much means keep them preferably on flat surfaces, don't leave them sitting on your bed and so on. Fires have actually been started in such ways and batteries have burst from overheating. The problem is it's not just the CPU generating heat. The harddrive, ram, video processor, motherboard chipsets and batteries all generate a very significant amount of heat in a very small area.
                    Last edited by Velosapien; 09-03-2008, 12:37 AM.

Comment

I think I used the wrong thermal grease. The only stuff I could find was a zink based thermal grease(white). The stuff I cleaned off was a metallic grey. In a quick test the CPU temp was upto 170! Not good.
                      Mike

Comment

Just as a follow-up, I messed around with the cpu fan today. When I pressed down on the fan the temp quickly dropped from 170 to 111. I disassembled the fan assembly an found one of the points that lock into the mother board was rounded off. So for the 3 cent nylon part that failed I have to buy a 25 dollar fan
                        Mike

Comment

Follow up to my follow up.
                          New fan... temps stabilized
                          Swapped out power supply...still had restarts.
                          Ran a RAM test with my memory on another computer...no problems
                          Found a website with cheap motherboard prices...Bingo!
                          My computer is running faster than ever.
                          Mike

Comment

http://www.memtest86.com/

FYI here's a very good free memory test utility. Burn the ISO to a bootable CD-ROM and boot from the CD drive. This will spot almost any memory fault. One pass will usually uncover serious problems right away. Leave the test looping overnight with the PC at room temp to really heat up and stress test ram really well.

If you want the best thermal grease around I would recommend arctic silver
                            Last edited by Velosapien; 10-04-2008, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X