X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to choose a password

What's the best way? Is it best to have one 8-14 character password for everything or shorter ones for different sites? The reason why I said shorter ones is because I only have enough room for 1 long password. Anymore than that and I start writing stuff down.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: How to choose a password

Ben,

Usually longer passwords are better. For example ridgid85085protool would be a pretty hard password to hack

Also, that is just what I've read. Usually I have a few passwords. The important ones are a bit longer than the other ones that I don't really care if they are hacked.
    YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

The important thing is to come up with something you can remember easily. I hate when Rick wakes me up in the middle of the night to ask me for the password to his online bank accounts.

The safest passwords have a combination of letters numbers and symbols.
      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
        The important thing is to come up with something you can remember easily. I hate when Rick wakes me up in the middle of the night to ask me for the password to his online bank accounts.

The safest passwords have a combination of letters numbers and symbols.
        I know what Rick's password is for his online banking account: K60impressonator
        YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
          I know what Rick's password is for his online banking account: K60impressonator
          Yeah and now everyone else knows too now
          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
            What's the best way? Is it best to have one 8-14 character password for everything or shorter ones for different sites? The reason why I said shorter ones is because I only have enough room for 1 long password. Anymore than that and I start writing stuff down.
            There are several theories. One is that you should use something that is pretty much random. Another is you should use a sequence of words strung together with random punctuation or numbers in the middle. This gives you a longer password that is easy to remember. For example, "ikea4termite-vomit". The words shouldn't actually be related like that.

I am not of that camp. I just use a few random ones with duplication, because I am lazy. If the password isn't terribly important, then just write them down or get a password vault program. If someone breaks into my house, I am not going to be most upset if they get my RIDGID forum password. I would probably care about my bank account password, but just knowing the password doesn't give you everything else (like username, what site it belongs too etc.).

Comment

Ben, isn't all of this information G17 classified anyway?

Rick & Joey
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

I use 2 passwords... one that is short and easy and contains only letters that I use for most things and the 2nd is much longer, contains numbers and letters and was difficult for me to remember... I use the 2nd one for the sites that I am more concerned about
                metal canopies | carports | metal carports

Comment

The bad news is it is probably even more important to change your passwords often than how easy it is to guess. I'm with the banking and pay-pal being important, the rest have a theme.

I have so many passwords that I make use of my phone's vault--one password for that where you would have to be as crazy as me to guess it and it unlocks the rest of them for me to see when needed. I am also too lazy to change them every 6 months, but that is what they say you should do in case your pc has a program to capture keystrokes put on trojan style.

Eli
                  A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I keep my passwords written to a spreadsheet on a thumbdrive that is password protected, and I keep the corresponding user ids on another thumbdrive that is also password protected. these two drives are kept in separate lock boxes in different rooms of the house, actually one is in the safe in the basement and the other is in a safe behind a picture hanging on the BR wall. If I forget a password or ID its a major PITA but I fell pretty safe this way, at least I think I am .

Now that I have let my whole strategy out I will have to devise a new one.

Oh....wait, I'm not that paranoid, that was Mel Gibson in the movie Conspiracy Theory. I just remembered that I just try to remember them. But many times I can't or don't so I use a $49 biometric security device (fingerprint reader) from APC.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

This is what I use
                      http://www.dexadine.com/free.html

It is Acerose Password vault. It is a password generator and vault. It not only generates a password of any length and security, it also stores usernames, passwords, url address for sign in, and notes.

IT'S FREE
                      !

The only password to remember is the one to open the program (vault) on your computer screen.

It is an incredibly efficient and small program and very useful.
                      I highly recommend it.

And IT'S FREE!
                      "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

I use a program, which you can download free at the link below. It’s called Roboform. It’s very cool. It creates passwords in different levels of difficulty, stores your passwords safely, and fills out forms with protected info. I think you get 8 passwords in the free version, unlimited if you buy it – which I did a long time ago.

To go into this forum, for example, I open my browser and then click on the Roboform Passcard for the forum. It goes to the sign in page, logs me in and I’m ready to go - one click only! You can also print a backup list of the passwords.

http://www.roboform.com/download.html
                        Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                        I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                        My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working...
                        X