X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Player to external hard drive

I downloaded Real player upon Steve's suggestion last night and it works great. All the music videos and other "stuff" I want. Woo hoo!!!! I just bought an external hard drive and want to transfer the real player file along with all it's contents to the external hard drive so I don't slow down my computor. I've tried all morning and can't figure it out. Is this possible?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Real Player to external hard drive

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    I downloaded Real player upon Steve's suggestion last night and it works great. All the music videos and other "stuff" I want. Woo hoo!!!! I just bought an external hard drive and want to transfer the real player file along with all it's contents to the external hard drive so I don't slow down my computor. I've tried all morning and can't figure it out. Is this possible?
    Not sure what you mean by "transfer" RP.
    You could install it on an external drive but some stuff will still be present on your main drive. What slows the thing down is some automatic updates and such which keep running in memory whether you ise realplayer or not. I always edit it out from the registry to make sure it is not started automatically at every Windows boot. In this case the player will eat up resources only when in use (playing media files)

If you want a snappy and fluff free player look into VLC.
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
      Not sure what you mean by "transfer" RP.
      I'm computer illitereate so I may have unrealistic expectations. I mean that the program "real player" and all it's files are located in the external hard drive only.
      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Install it on your external hard drive (real player that is), then transfer what ever you have on you computer over to the external hard drive program, then uninstall the real player on your computer. If you don't have diddly squat in real player right now, just uninstall that and install it onto your external. Is that easy enough?????
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

It is but what if I already had files downloaded on my computer?
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Where is VASandy for this question?????????
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
              The program itself probably actually belongs on your C drive not your external disk. If it is installed to the external hard disk and you don't have it plugged in you'll get nasty error messages when you open an associated file/web page. It shouldn't slow things down or take up much space. If it does run all the time, there is likely an option to turn that off; I just don't know because I haven't used RP in many years. I just think that the inconvenience is probably not worth it.

The videos themselves can go on the external hard disk, that will save the most space. They should just be files (probably ending in *.rp, *.ram, *.rm) that can be copied in explorer.

Comment

The video files from Youtube are FLV, flash video and cannot be burnt to a cd and played as MP3, or burned as data on a CD and played a MP4 video with audio. They must first be converted using one of several online services and then downloaded to your computer. I worked on this problem several hours the other night. Finally realized my computer is way too slow and I'm way too tired to go through this drwan out process, as much as I would like to transfer some of those Youtube videos to MP3 or MP4 so I can hear them on my stereo or watch them on my TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  They must first be converted using one of several online services and then downloaded to your computer.
                  or you could use NoMule or TubeCaster.
                  With NoMule it's a snap. The time it takes to download and process a song takes only as long as the download it takes. On my laptop about 1 minute for a 2 1/2 minute song.
                  In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Got it figured out. Download your video with real player and find where the videos are located. For me its documents/video. Copy and paste that entire file into my external hard drive and delete the original file which was about 3 gigs. Open my external hard drive and watch the video from there. If I open real player and try to watch the movie from there, a message pops up saying it can't find the file.
                    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I have resisted installing Real Player for many years because of the ads and other background activity that I don't care for. Too invasive for my tastes.

However, just did a search and possible there is a solution to that problem which others dislike also.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/14370...t_options.html
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X