X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet speed

I am looking at changing internet service providers and I am trying to figure out how fast the service I got right now is. How do I know if the new service I want is just as fast? Is there some place on my computer that tells me?
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Internet speed

Your service provider should be able to tell you the speed their service is supposed to be. There's nowhere you can really check that on your computer but you can use www.speedtest.net to get an idea of how fast your connection is.

Comment

There are 2 things you need to look at. Upload speed and Download Speed.

Upload speed is usually significantly slower than download.

All depends on what you are looking to do with your internet connection. I just look at the forum and do email from home so I have one of the super cheap accounts. I used to have a sweet dsl setup that flew in both directions.

The super high end accounts are overkill for what 99.9% of people need. Usually the 2nd step up from the bottom is the sweetspot with most providers. If your going to be uploading video or doing a lot of downloads I would shoot higher up the list.

Josh

Comment

My internet icon thing says 10.0 Mbps but when I went to speed test and did a couple of tests my best was 435 kbps download and 115 up. It seems kinda slow.
        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Tyman, I run this because it will tell me where my problems lie inside my computer. Overdrive scan is what you want to test run. Download whatever they tell you to get the test running, but when the testing is done, they will tell you on how to fix your problems or more so to purchase what they are selling. You do not have to buy anything, they will show you what to do, so remember that.

Also PC Pitstop is a site I have been with since 2005, they are a safe site, but you don't want to get caught up in purchases. Before you start your test, besure your on the net with IE for this. The test takes me about 1 minute to complete and its a thorough testing.

Stay away from the Registry correcting problems, unless you really feel safe going into it. You can crash your system playing in registry, I should know, I have a bad habit doing this.

This test should be flashing your screen and showing 3D images, then you do know your testing is being done correctly. This will do the speed test at the end also, good luck....

http://www.pcpitstop.com/
          Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I just had this service installed today at the new home in Las Vegas. Here were the numbers:

Download 26,931 KBS
            Upload 3,673

It's only been on for a few minutes So I will have to wait to see if it has problems.

Mark
            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
              My internet icon thing says 10.0 Mbps but when I went to speed test and did a couple of tests my best was 435 kbps download and 115 up. It seems kinda slow.
              The reason you see 10.0Mbps is because your computers connection to your LAN is 10Mbps. Mine is 1000Mbps (1Gbps), but it won't affect your connection to anything but other computers in your house.

Optimum Online through my companie's VPN gave me 4.8Mbps down and 2.045Mbps up.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                That 10Mbps is probably your LAN speed, ie the connection between your NIC (network card in the computer) and your gateway (router or cable modem).Most NICs now a days are 100Mb, but the speed will fall back to the slowest component in the circuit. 10Mb is plenty fast if your internet connection ~450Kbps, that's the choke point.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Here's the link to the new Google/M-lab internet testing tools.

http://measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools

I'm sure something on there can give you precisely what you need. It's free.
                  Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                  I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                  My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Working...
                  X