Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free PC Cleaner

Hello
    Does anyone know of a totally free PC cleaner? The ones I have seen offer a free scan and then after identifying problems, they say register and so the problems can be corrected. Frustrating after it appears they offer something free but isn't. I have Windows Vista. Thanks, Ron

Re: Free PC Cleaner

Try nortons for 15 days

here is the link

http://shop.symantecstore.com/servle...uctID=63489500

It will clean your pc
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I encountered the same problems as Ronald with one of my lap tops last week. In desparation I took my laptop to Staples where they are cleaning all the programs off and reinstalling all the programs that came with the computer when originally purchased.

A question occured to me. I use IE as a browser. If I had been using Foxfire or another browser instead of IE would the virus still have infected my computer? Are these viruses written for a specific program?

I told the guy at Staples I didn't care about reinstalling all the original programs only IE and whatever it is that allows my computer to be wireless. He told me to not worry that all the original drivers would be reinstalled. What is the difference between a driver and a program?

On another note I have heard that viruses are written by malcontents intentionally to cause problems. I suspect some of that is true but are some viruses just malfunctions of programs?

This stuff is confusing for an old guy.

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post

A question occured to me. I use IE as a browser. If I had been using Foxfire or another browser instead of IE would the virus still have infected my computer? Are these viruses written for a specific program?

-Tom
        The reason you will get less viruses on Firefox or googles new browser chrome and off course mac, is because IE ( Internet explorer ) is the most popular and most hackers figure they will code towards that because it will affect more people.

You still can get viruses through firefox off course... , also look for google alerts when searching google, they have that feature that lets you see bad sites if you are logged in to the g account, also get something like nortons to protect yourself.

Hope this helps "_"
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Tom W View Post
          I told the guy at Staples I didn't care about reinstalling all the original programs only IE and whatever it is that allows my computer to be wireless. He told me to not worry that all the original drivers would be reinstalled. What is the difference between a driver and a program?
          A driver manages and runs a particular piece of hardware (e.g., your wireless card). A program is an application like a web browser, word processor, or some other tool that lets you do something (the definition of program isn't the best, but it is the best I can come up with).

On another note I have heard that viruses are written by malcontents intentionally to cause problems. I suspect some of that is true but are some viruses just malfunctions of programs?
          Viruses are often written for profit now, they are used to take over your computer and send spam [see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet], or to gather credit card info, or other nefarious purposes.

Programs misbehaving are by definition not a virus, but can make your computer terribly slow nonetheless. I have a couple of programs that will infinitely loop and take up all the CPU if I sign off from my VPN. One way to check that is to do Ctrl-Alt-Delete, open Task Manager, and check the "Performance Tab" to see what your CPU utilization is. The "Processes" tab will let you kill things, but if you kill the wrong thing it can cause a system crash or some other unwanted behavior.

Comment

How many times have we tried to install a program and it failed, then you try it again. Failed installs can clutter up computers, old programs too. I didn't see anything about a virus that Ronald was talking about, he could be just cluttered up bad.

Defrag, Disc Cleanup, needs to be done. Registry cleanup done manually is the best, as far as I'm concerned. But don't do it, if you don't know what your doing, this could cause a crash as CPW mentions. I do a total reinstall of my Window XP Pro on a yearly basis. This insures me of a clean fast running computer (brand spanking new). I will also copy all programs to a disc, if I got it over the internet and of course I save all discs with every program that I bought.

CCleaner is a good program to get rid of old temp internet files, cookies, history, so forth. But I will not use it to clean my registry, that I will do on my own as mentioned earlier. This is the only program I use for cleaning, other then security programs.

I hear that a good optimizer program, gets rid of programs that you don't want anymore. I have yet to use one. However I recently bought a new LapTop that came with this program. I still haven't opened it up yet (package), I've just been to dang busy, which maybe its time to start a thread about this. I'll probably use this program one time, to get those installed programs from the manufacturer out, then I'll delete out the optimizer myself.

Lets not forget about the startup programs, do you really need 20-30 programs running at startup? Cleaning that area up, will get you going faster also. But buying more softwares and installing them to do something, will bog down your system. Its probably time to learn how to correct problems manually and not from another program.

When I do a total reinstall, it takes me about 6 hrs to do, this includes all my programs that I want, also reinstalled. 2 hrs just to do the Window, most of the time its just waiting around, then hit the next key to continue. Very easy to do after a few times of doing this. Everytime I do this, my computer is back to 94% free space, 92%-91% after all my programs are back in, talk about a fast computer then.... Ok I'll shut up now....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hello garager
              Your post identifies exactly my problem/situation. I do defrag and clean up the hard drive with the windows tools that are provided in vista. Granted my real problem is the dial up service (snail slow!) but just needed to know if I should try and clean my pc to speed up things.
              Have you heard of Advance Windows Care V2? It is free and cleans registry spyware etc. I just don't want to use things that will make my pc worse. Again garager, thanks. Ron

Comment

I subscribe to the Garager School of Computer Maintenance

About once a year, save the few programs I have to disc and reformat hard drive and then reinstall windows. It's like having a new computer.

It's amazing how much better I do with online gaming after that

Comment

I can't say anything about maintenance/housecleaning on a PC, but I will say that if any of you are using a Mac, DO NOT use anything Norton. Norton is death on Macs.

Comment

try CA antivirus/spyware and ccleaner.. these work well..

kaci

Comment

The last time I reinstalled Windows was last Summer, after 3 years. I caught some virus. It took me all of 1.5 seconds to decide that any attempts to clean the system of the virus may take hours, if not days. Virus writers are very ingenious these days.

Re-installation of Windows on my computers is not really a re-installation at all. I bought Acronis Ture Image* a few years ago. The software allows to produce disk images to be stored on tape, external drive, network etc. Simply install Windows, all the programs of your dreams and create a mirror image of the drive.

Long story short, my Windows re-installs take about 20 minutes, plus an hour or two to restore data files from backup, which is done overnight while I'm snoring the night away. Saves a truckload of time. Before that, it took me a week to two weeks to reinstall all I need on my laptop.

* I am not a stakeholder in Acronis Inc.
                      In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                      X