Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build My Own Computer

Wow, thanks guys

Lots of good info there. Those Alienware gaming systems are wicked cool but big $$$$. but if I was getting paid to kill zombies.....

I just need something to even the playing field when going against my 14 year old nephew on Call of Duty. Nothing too cutting edge.

That barebone Dell has a nice pricetag

I'll probably go with ASUS motherboard. I've had good luck with them in the past. SATA 7400 rpm hard drive seems to be the standard these days. I prefer the Intel processor Core Quad? or Core Duo? I'm not sure yet.

Where I need help is on the graphics. Lots there that I don't understand and terms I don't want to learn. It's all very confusing.

SLI, PCI, PCI Express <<<----clueless

Do I need one video card or two if I want to watch TV?

Will any video card fit my motherboard?

What if the Mobo has onboard graphics? Does that exclude me from adding a vid card?

I just don't want to get stuck with outdated technology that can't be upgraded. My current HP Pavilion has something called Rambus memory. How did I get fixed up with that crap?

Is liquid cooling something I want to look at? or is that just too far over the top?

Comment

For a cpu a middle of the road Core Duo should be sufficient for a capable gaming machine. You can get a board with built in video and disable it later with an add-on card but I recommend not wasting money on a board with built in video. Built in video is extremely slow and limited in capabalities. They are usually completely incapable of running any games. Go for something in the nvidia geforce 200 or 9800 series, or ATI/AMD 4850 series. These can be found for very resonable prices and will run pretty much anything very fast. You'll need PCI Express video cards for current generation motherboards. Hard drives are so dirt cheap now anything under about 500GB 7200 SATA is not worth it.

Don't worry about liquid cooling. Usually this is for people who are into extreme overclocking. It could be fun as a project if thats what you're into but stick to air cooling if you want to keep things simple.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Wow, thanks guys

My current HP Pavilion has something called Rambus memory. How did I get fixed up with that crap?
        During the Pentium 4 era Rambus was supposed to be the future of memory. Intel made this their standard. Problem was it was ridiculously expensive and the Rambus company developed a very bad reputation which earned them universal loathing in the industry. They tried to patent what were supposed to be open standards and then sued just about everyone who made any type of ram into paying them royalties. They got dropped like a bad habit and no one wants anything to do with them now.
        Last edited by Velosapien; 12-22-2008, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          I just need something to even the playing field when going against my 14 year old nephew on Call of Duty. Nothing too cutting edge.

That barebone Dell has a nice pricetag

I'll probably go with ASUS motherboard. I've had good luck with them in the past. SATA 7400 rpm hard drive seems to be the standard these days. I prefer the Intel processor Core Quad? or Core Duo? I'm not sure yet.

Where I need help is on the graphics. Lots there that I don't understand and terms I don't want to learn. It's all very confusing.

SLI, PCI, PCI Express <<<----clueless
          The PCI vs. PCIe (PCI Express) is the type of connector on the motherboard. Basically, you just need to make sure the # of connectors on the motherboard exceeds what you plan to plug into it.

According to Wikipedia SLI lets you put two cards together; sounds way to complex, error prone and expensive to me.

Do I need one video card or two if I want to watch TV?
          Only one, but you need a video capture card; which is probably not integrated with the video card. So you need two total cards: a video card + a video capture card (or USB device).

Will any video card fit my motherboard?
          No. You need to match PCI vs. PCIe and if it is PCIe, make sure that it the number of lanes match (e.g, a PCIe x16 card would not fit into a PCIe x1 slot).

What if the Mobo has onboard graphics? Does that exclude me from adding a vid card?
          No. You can always turn it off. A lot of onboard graphics cards take RAM from the main system, but if you have enough that shouldn't matter. I don't know the requirements of your game; but the onboard cards do offer 3D acceleration now and can play games (in the past you had no chance). The integrated card might not cost you that much; so you can always put the system together, try it out and if you are unhappy go get a bad@ss graphics card later (just make sure you rmotherboard will have an appropriate slot to upgrade).

Is liquid cooling something I want to look at? or is that just too far over the top?
          No. It is way over the top, expensive, and more error prone.

Comment

Wouldn't you know it, Josh was right

It it cheaper and easier to buy a barebone system than to assemble one myself

I should have jumped on that Dell system deal before it expired I came close to those Dell 530 specs but went just over 5 bills

This is what I ended up with:
            Vista Business 64 bit
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 processor on a MSI Motherboard mATX
            2 gig DDR2-800 RAM
            500 Gig SATA hard drive
            8x DVD+RW Super drive
            8 in 1 Media Card reader
            Nvidia GeForce 8100 Vid card
            400 Watt Power supply

I'll probably junk this case and get a better one before too long

This thing is wicked fast and I think it makes me look more handsome

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
              You may be able to scavenge your software from the old machine; same with the mouse, keyboard, etc.

I'll disagree with Josh about quad core; most software doesn't take advantage of multi-core well. Also, I'll assume you don't want to overclock. But either way, you need to make sure to get a good fan/heatsink. My CPU fan costs as much as my CPU (it is 2lbs of copper).

wow - is that online?...I mean can you show me
              Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
              New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Here is the CPU fan I am using. It runs at 1100 RPM so is very quiet:
                http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118030

Comment

Now, thats sweeet

TY !!

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                  Here is the CPU fan I am using. It runs at 1100 RPM so is very quiet:
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118030
                  Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                  New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have built over 50 computers.My computer is 5 years old,to lazy to build another.It still works great,3 power supplies later. I go to a computer form like this for computers. They know what combo's work the best.What cpu on what board.They will answer all questions and all the tricks to tweak the bios. They were writing their own bio's programs. So, search the mobo and read up on what it has and can do.Even store bought machines are set up very safe.Some basic setting in the bios can be changed and speed up the whole system.
                    I compare ram to a tansmission in a car,cpu is the engine,rearend is the hard drive.the more ram the better.With a lil bit of ram you can go anywhere you want.But the ac/radio/power windows slows you down.With a lot of ram everything works with out any slowdown.Even the new GPS lol.
                    Kind of hard to explane with a keyboard.Hope this helps
                    If you choose not to decide,you still have made a choice.

Comment

CPW knows his stuff but forgot to tell you that If you build your own computer you may have less problems than buying a dell or a brand name.

Some of the "brand names" are software specific. CPW could prob explain it better than me, as a computer crasher from the early 1980's some of the best running computers today are from do it yourself purchase from the net Newegg etc.

You can upgrade, replace and modify.

My buddies HP laptop was sent in for repair and had the same loose wire give him a problem. he spent $90. on the repair, had to buy a new computer and accidently found the problem himself.

Yup even a plumber can do it unless your name is Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by bob@brick View Post
                        If you build your own computer you may have less problems than buying a dell or a brand name.

Some of the "brand names" are software specific.
                        Software specific? Never heard that.

I used to build my own PCs when it made the cost go down. Right now it just doesn't give me the bang for the buck. I buy Dell for work and for myself. No issues, no problems with hardware upgrades. For basic office stuff I can get a PC for $300. If I want a little faster machine I'll probably double to triple that amount depending on the config.

Where I see there is a point in building your own is for pro gamers who want to squeeze every last bit and every last millisecond out of their machines.
                        Last edited by darius; 01-16-2009, 12:34 AM.
                        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

yes, tigerdirect or if you have a local FRYES close by!!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                            If you're building your own system www.newegg.com should be you're first buying resource. Great place with awesome service and prices. If you're building a gaming system you should stick to Intel for now. Usually AMD and Intel trade the performance crown back and forth but AMD has been lagging for the last round for some time now.

For a good motherboard brand I recommend Asus. They are a bit more expensive but top notch. There's also a lot of other good makers though. Don't skimp out on power supplies. Buy a top brand like Antec or BFG. Cheapo power supplies will eventually burn out and they usually take other components with them. It is the one part that has the capability of damaging other components in the system if it fails.

Check out www.anandtech.com and www.hardocp.com . They will have all the latest benchmarks and performance tests on just about everything out on the market as well as just about all the technical info you may need.
                            A few years ago I built an AMD based system with an ASUS motherboard. It's the first system I've built wher I bought a new case to match. Usually I upgrade and use the same case over again along with HD's, burners etc. Ive built a ton of servers and my clients used to tell me to take the old stuff away. So i had a lot of cases and other periferels to use.
                            I like to use FSX with PMDG's software and fly thier 747-400. My setup uses two AMD FX-57 dual core Procs running at 3.0 GHZ, 4 Gig's of corsair memory a 1000 watt PSU and 4 WD Raptors. It is FAST! It is also a little bit loud. But you don't notice it with FSX. No stutters, no problems. My buddy bought a machine and wanted to try FSX with PMDG's software. Could not instal PMDG's stuff. It would not run FSX without stuttering, the plane took off but wouls stop momentarily when doing so, very jerky. Planes don't stop in mid air. He took it back and I built him a good machine.

Buck

Comment

For gaming, a Quad core is a good investment. The Intel i7 Extreme is currently the top-dog processor that will get you the best experience. It's expensive, so a Core 2 Quad would be a better choice. That's where budget comes in to play.

Get the best graphics card you can afford. Get two if you can. Most games now will take advantage of SLI/Crossover dual cards.

Make your decisions first on CPU and then on graphics cards. Once you've made those decisions, find a motherboard that's designed for those two items. Asus makes a very good quality motherboard. Read through the articles on tomshardware.com and other places to find out about chipsets. Some chipsets work better than others based on the CPU you choose.

Go with Vista, as you'll get DirectX10, which is the current gaming graphics standard. Games will run better on DX10. I don't want to get into the whole M$ trying to take over the gaming world discussion, but that's how it is.

Get as much power supply as you can. 1200Watt PS is becoming more and more available. The graphics cards are power-hungry, and you want to be able to spin a DVD player, a hard drive, and max the graphics all at the same time. More power is required for all these things, and maxing out the power supply trying to do all this stresses the system more than it needs.

Go with as much RAM as you can get once you figure everything else out. 4GB is what I'd consider good for a gaming rig. More would be better. Less will leave you with an unsatisfying system.

That Zalman heatsync is a good one. The one that comes with the CPU is .... well, they're OK but they're usually noisy and not as efficient. Zalman has always made quality coolers. Also, buy extra fans with whatever case you get. Bigger fans are always better, as you can spin them slower and get lots of air movement. Put the fans in so they suck air in at the front and exhaust from the rear. I like having a fan that pushes air in towards the graphics cards from the case, and they also make some cases that allow you to put a fan in that'll blow air towards the CPU cooler. Sometimes, though, these cause turbulent air around the CPU cooler fan and reduce the efficiency. I'll usually skip that unless I'm doing a heat pipe cooler. Use the Zalman CPU cooler, and forget the heat pipes. Get a case that lets you mount a fan near the graphics cards, as well as 2-4 extras in the front and rear. Remember, one 120mm fan in the front and one in the back can replace a couple of the smaller ones.

I could probably swing by and help you put things together if you'd like. I've built tons of gaming rigs and enjoy showing people how to build them.
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I would select the type of hard drive controller you want/need, but buy the hard drive(s) last thing. Anymore it seems every month I get blown away at how for the same $$$ I can get far more hard drive than last month.

Check the manufactures web sites, but when ready you may want to go to this site with brand and model numbers handy. Check them for other parts and accessories. I find their prices to be good and they get stuff to me quickly via FedEx..
                                WWW.PROVANTAGE.COM

Hint: Think about if you really need what's called a "Retail Kit" version of a hard drive or if just the bare drive would work for you. In many cases you can get by with a bare drive and download installation software (makes it go nicer) off their web site and make up a boot CD.

VASandy can really help you there for sure.

By the way for keyboards, rodents (little rat with a tail), monitors, software and the like, you can take your time, save $$$ and think about what you really want and need.
                                Last edited by Woussko; 02-06-2009, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X