X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7

I have been running Windows XP Pro service pkt 3 on my computer and been vary happy with it and have been avoiding upgrading to a new computer because of Windows Vista as of all the bad press with it but now I read that Microsoft is releasing Windows 7 and I am wondering is this a stand alone Windows operating system and if I do renew my computer can I install Windows 7 without first installing Windows Vista.

Tony

Re: Windows 7

Window 7 will come with and upgrade for Vista and a stand alone you can buy.

Stick with what you have for a couple of months just to make sure w-7 isn't as loopy as vista.

PS I run window xp on my mac with less problems than most pc users have with microsoft products.

As for pc & macs for others out there if you use critical software, get to know your computer and it's quirks. They all need burping at times.

Back your files on dvd even if you back up on another external hard drive. Anything electro mechanical will crash in time or at anytime.

Comment

Originally posted by bob@brick View Post
      Window 7 will come with and upgrade for Vista and a stand alone you can buy.

Stick with what you have for a couple of months just to make sure w-7 isn't as loopy as vista.

PS I run window xp on my mac with less problems than most pc users have with microsoft products.

As for pc & macs for others out there if you use critical software, get to know your computer and it's quirks. They all need burping at times.

Back your files on dvd even if you back up on another external hard drive. Anything electro mechanical will crash in time or at anytime.

I started with a mac in 1987 with a mac plus then got an LC but when windows came out in 1995 I bought a PC and haven`t looked back as the programs for my business were limited but now I read the new mac`s can run two operating systems by petitioning them but how efficent is it and are there any down sides.

Tony

Comment

With microsoft operating systems you can usually buy the upgrade version going as far back as at least two versions. For example XP could be upgraded wether it was from NT 4.0 or 2000. Win 7 will still not be out for a while though. Eventually XP support is going to end anyway so you'll need to switch to Vista or 7 anyway. Windows 7 should be better but not necessarily because there is any significant problem with Vista. Vista will have forced other developers to iron out the changes in the way things work the same as Windows 2000 did for XP.

You can technically run either OS on any computer ever since Apple moved to Intel hardware. The components inside a PC or a MAC are now [i]exactly[/b] the same and don't let anyone tell you different. Only difference is you pay double for what the hardware is worth on the mac. Windows is non platform exclusive so it can run on a mac. Mac OS looks for specific firmware programing and will refuse to install on anything else but people haved hacked it to run on any PC. Finding drivers for the hardware could be a problem though. Apple makes most of their money from selling hardware so it's bad businness to open it up to run on generic systems. Recently there was a company that tried to sell mac clones and of course they were sued into oblivion.

Comment

If you dislike Vista you'll hate Windoze 7.
          In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

NO way.. Windows 7 is much better than Vista.. I hated Vista.. Windows 7 doesnt use as much memory and the use is much easier.. Its no comparison to Vista, but thats just my opinion

Brandon

Comment

Memory requirements (not final yet) are identical to those of Vista Premium.
              As for speed, yes it will take less time to get the message that your legacy application won't run on the new and shiny operating system.

Windows 7 is mostly Vista SP2 and both use the same kernel.
              In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Here's a few informative reviews on the ins and outs of Windows 7 ->

Windows 7 in-depth review and video: This time Microsoft gets it right

First look at Windows 7 interface

Deep inside the Windows 7 Public Beta: an in-depth tour

Microsoft Windows 7 Beta 1

HTH
                Last edited by jbergstrom; 01-24-2009, 11:08 AM.
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------
                All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

As I understand it, Windows 7 is Vista with some bug fixes and a new user interface. It already has some security issues, and you'll need to do a full install if you want it post XP - that means backing up all of your data and reinstalling it after you load W7. W7 will also come in six varieties - like again, very Vista-esque. I intend to use my XP until it explodes. When that happens, I'll likely switch to Mac - for the first time ever.
                  Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                  I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                  My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

W7 will have six versions although only three of them will be available to consumers. It will be very similar to XP. With a Home premium, Professional, and ultimate. The rest of the versions are only available for custom corporate installations like the Enterprise versions and the basic editions will only be available for developing countries and extremely low end machines. A clean install will in fact be required from XP only because there are several core elements that need to be completely wiped out from XP to make it work. Anyway, upgrading without a clean install on ANY version of windows is asking for trouble. You should always do a clean install.

Comment

Originally posted by LuciKnows View Post
                      It already has some security issues,
                      It will always have security issues. Nothing that complex is fool proof. If you think macs are any better in this respect think again. The amount of security flaws found every month on macs and apple software usually exceeds those found on windows. Not only that, many of the flaws are pretty major ones. Their patching cycle is also much slower than Microsoft. Exploiting those flaws is a whole different matter. Most people looking to do harm on the internet like stealing financial info do it for monetary gain. They don't care if you have a mac or a pc. PC's are over 90% of the market so it's the quickest easiest target to reach and spread malicious software through. With apples much smaller market share it's a lot more difficult for exploits to spread and contaminate other systems. This is quickly becoming a thing of the past as everytime they grow they become a bigger target. People who think they are safe on a mac without running any sort of security is like leaving your door open at night because you live in a safe neighborhood. Eventually somebody is going to realize you are easy pickings and break in.

Comment

I have the Beta W7 in both 32 and 64-bit versions. There is no upgrade path from XP to W7. You will be able to purchase an upgrade-cost license for W7, but to install it from an XP machine, you will have to completely blow away the XP and install the W7 from scratch. This means you'll have to back up all your data and re-install all your apps.

You'll be able to do an "in-place upgrade" from Vista. This means you put the W7 DVD in the drive and install it. All your data and apps stay in place.

All in all, the replacement of Vista with Windows 7 is required from a business perspective. Corporates have stayed away from Vista due to it's problems. Microsoft is hopeful that Windows 7 will be adopted by the corporate environment. Only time will tell. Obviously, several major Vista glitches have to be fixed, one of which is support for legacy software. Software that Corporates have become dependent on but which cannot run in Vista. It'll be a hurdle as most of the legacy incompatibilities are related to how the software handles core functions in the hardware/software interface. Vista doesn't talk to the hardware like XP or any other OS does. I haven't had enough time with W7 yet to find out how well the legacy compatibility issue is addressed.
                        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

The release date of W7 will determine if it gets adopted by the corporate world. Originally XP was rejected for corporate use because it lacked any significant improvement over 2K at launch. The eventual drop in support for windows 2000 and delays of Vista pretty much made it necessary to adopt XP. A lot of places had actually intended to skip XP and jump straight from 2K to vista. If W7 is seriously delayed again Vista will find it's way as the main corporate OS. XP support is due to end fairly soon so we'll see what happens.

The legacy compatibility problems are not something that'slikely to be fixed in windows 7. Its not as much a matter of "fixing" as it is a matter applications will have to be updated to work with the newer code. Many times that is not practical or even possible so some machines running XP will have to remain. It's not unusual to find ancient systems and operating systems in corporate enviroments because they are mission critical and updates are no longer available for some software.

Comment

Working...
                          X