X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getac-Toughbook knockoff?

Are they any good? We've been buying them rather than the toughbook but many times the government just goes with the lowest bidder.
    http://www.getac.com/getac/English/products/b300.aspx
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Getac-Toughbook knockoff?

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Are they any good? We've been buying them rather than the toughbook but many times the government just goes with the lowest bidder.
    http://www.getac.com/getac/English/products/b300.aspx
    Federal Acquisition Rules require them to go with the lowest qualified bidder.

How many USB ports? Didn't see anything about USB listed.
    Win XP Pro = Good (better choice than Vista anyway)
    80GB HD - Too small
    512MB RAM - Not enough, need min 2GB for XP Pro
    Built-in BlueTooth - Good
    Touch screen is handy. I use many laptops with touchscreens in the field and love them, no mouse to drag along as I hate glide pads (PITA).
    Last edited by Bob D.; 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I don't know if I'd call the Getac a Toughbook knockoff, they made rugged notebooks before Panasonic but were in the military space. They started through a joint venture of GE Aerospace and MiTAC. MiTAC is one of the largest laptop manufacturers, but usually the laptops carry someone else's brand. A major feature of the Getac is their display technology. Panasonic offers a screen with 1000 NITs output but only anti-reflective coatings on the outer most glass. GD Itronix offers one with only 500 NITs output but with a circular polarization method. Both product about the same effective contrast rate in bright outdoor sunlight. Getac offers an LED display with 1200 NITs output, circular polarization and anti-reflective coatings all in the same computer. The results is over 6x the effective contrast ratio (readability) in bright sunlight. From what I've seen, the B300 seems to have a very high satisfaction rate.

Comment

Originally posted by rbuser View Post
        I don't know if I'd call the Getac a Toughbook knockoff, they made rugged notebooks before Panasonic but were in the military space. They started through a joint venture of GE Aerospace and MiTAC. MiTAC is one of the largest laptop manufacturers, but usually the laptops carry someone else's brand. A major feature of the Getac is their display technology. Panasonic offers a screen with 1000 NITs output but only anti-reflective coatings on the outer most glass. GD Itronix offers one with only 500 NITs output but with a circular polarization method. Both product about the same effective contrast rate in bright outdoor sunlight. Getac offers an LED display with 1200 NITs output, circular polarization and anti-reflective coatings all in the same computer. The results is over 6x the effective contrast ratio (readability) in bright sunlight. From what I've seen, the B300 seems to have a very high satisfaction rate.
        So in non-computer terms; what does this mean and how is the end user benefitted?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
          So in non-computer terms; what does this mean and how is the end user benefitted?
          Simply put, more bang for your buck.

Upgrade NOW before its too late.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
          X