• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .50 BMG API vs. 18 hard drives...

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/news.h...VzaWFzdCwsLDE=

Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Re: .50 BMG API vs. 18 hard drives...

Nice !

Comment

Why didn't I think of that!

I don't have a .50 cal rifle, but I do have a pile of old HDs that I need to dispose of and I want to be sure no one can read them. I am sure my rifle can handle the job but not 18 at a clip.

I don't have that many I don't think that need "reformatting" anyway, maybe a dozen give or take a couple.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        Why didn't I think of that!

I don't have a .50 cal rifle, but I do have a pile of old HDs that I need to dispose of and I want to be sure no one can read them. I am sure my rifle can handle the job but not 18 at a clip.
        Yep, I think the bullet solution pretty much makes that data permanently "private"

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        I don't have that many I don't think that need "reformatting" anyway, maybe a dozen give or take a couple.
        I wonder if a standard hunting rifle could "erase/wipe" 12 hd's?
        Cheers! - Jim
        -------------
        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Great find!!!
          I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Not as dramatic or quick but this is another way to destroy them. After this there is just no way to recover any data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYPCPB1g3o
            Last edited by Woussko; 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
              Great find!!!
              Hi Sandy
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                Not as dramatic or quick but this is another way to destroy them. After this there is just no way to recover any data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQYPCPB1g3o
                Yup, that works

Just goes to show you there's more ways to skin a cat than you can shake a stick at...
                Cheers! - Jim
                -------------

Comment

I want to see that shredder eat up 20 hard drives all at once. I bet it could.

Comment

A buddy at my work used to be in the Air Force and worked at the DOD, when he was ordered to dispose of hard drives, they used wiping software, extremely strong magnets, then drilled through them multiple times to break all the platters.

The .50 cal solution is more fun, but I guess the govt. is saving on the cost of ammo

Comment

Working...
                    X