X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Typing the degree symbol

If you want to type the degree symbol for temperature or angles, hold down the Alt key while typing 0186 º Some keyboards have this function with Control M.

Re: Typing the degree symbol

Handy, need that one all the time...

For ton's more go Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map

Besides Windows Explorer, Notepad and Calculator it's one of the first shortcuts i add to my quick launch bar...

Very useful and many folks don't even realize it's there...

You can either copy/paste or it'll give you the correct alt+****....

¢
    °
    ¿
    Cheers! - Jim
    -------------
    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Your tip was better than mine! I knew the character map was in there somewhere and knew it was accessable through Micro$oft Word. I pinned it to the Start Menu for easy access.

Comment

A faster way

If you're in Windows, you can access the entire character set from the keyboard, wihtout opening the character map - which is s-l-o-w. Here's how you do it:

Hold down the ALT key and then, using the numerical keyapd - not the numbers above the keys - type 0176 for the degrees symbol °. release the ALT key. Some other useful symbols are as follows:

ALT 0169 = ©
        ALT 0188 = ¼
        ALT 0189 = ½
        ALT 0190 = ¾

Hope this helps, and saves you some time.
        Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
        I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
        My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

°

alt + 248 also works

Comment

° º ╚ ± ╖ q ô ☻ T { ╚ § █ Ä A ↓ ▀ ╝ + Ü ▐ ┘ ≤ ■ ○ ⌂ î ¿ ○ ♫ ♀ ♪ ☼ ► ◄ ☺
            ☻ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ◘ ♦

Ok, that's just too cool. Alt + any number or combination is fun to play with.
            The card suits are alt + 3, alt + 4, alt + 5, alt + 6.
            I'm not sure what the 1st symbol in the second row is supposed to be or the last one in the first row.
            "Man will do many things to get himself loved, he will do all things to get himself envied." Mark Twain

Comment

Re: A faster way

Originally posted by LuciKnows View Post
              If you're in Windows, you can access the entire character set from the keyboard, wihtout opening the character map - which is s-l-o-w. Here's how you do it:

Hold down the ALT key and then, using the numerical keyapd - not the numbers above the keys - type 0176 for the degrees symbol °. release the ALT key. Some other useful symbols are as follows:

ALT 0169 = ©
              ALT 0188 = ¼
              ALT 0189 = ½
              ALT 0190 = ¾

Hope this helps, and saves you some time.
              Handy that you've got those fractions memorized Luci

My tip wasn't meant to be fast or slow... perhaps you misread it?

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
              ....For ton's more go Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Character Map

....Very useful and many folks don't even realize it's there...

....You can either copy/paste or it'll give you the correct alt+****....
              There are literally thousands of symbols listed in the Character Map... If you change fonts in the drop down you'll see that each set of fonts has it's own unique set of symbols...

There are far too many to try and memorize but if you find some you like or need then the Character Map gives you the alt+**** and you can memorize those particular alt+numbers...

As I mentioned there are lots of people that don't even realize it exists or aren't sure what it's for or how to use it

\@¿@/
              Last edited by jbergstrom; 03-27-2009, 06:01 AM.
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Of course you're right - hardly anybody knows about the char map, and it's quite handy. In some fonts, you simply cannot work without it. I have the old Aldus char set chart in my system and always use it. I just thought if someone wanted to simply use the degree symbol, knowing the Alt combo would be helpful. Some folks might not even notice the combo in char map - what with it hiding down in the corner. In any event, I most assuredly did not intend to cast aspersions on your methodology - merely trying to share and be helpful.

I see everyone's having fun with their keyboards now...
                Measure TWICE - Cut ONCE! 'Cause the Lumber Stretcher is broken!
                I'd throw more things away, but I'm afraid someone might want them...
                My DIY and HOW To Articles and Videos

Comment

Originally posted by LuciKnows View Post
                  Of course you're right - hardly anybody knows about the char map, and it's quite handy. In some fonts, you simply cannot work without it. I have the old Aldus char set chart in my system and always use it. I just thought if someone wanted to simply use the degree symbol, knowing the Alt combo would be helpful. Some folks might not even notice the combo in char map - what with it hiding down in the corner. In any event, I most assuredly did not intend to cast aspersions on your methodology - merely trying to share and be helpful.

I see everyone's having fun with their keyboards now...
                  Hey, no sweat... no harm, no foul

So, do you think folks know about the alt+#### method or the existence of the Character Map now?

Kudos to Killavolt for starting this discussion
                  Cheers! - Jim
                  -------------

Comment

A key thing to remember is that the Alt numbers given in the previous posts will work with most all of the common type faces. However, there are some typefaces (fonts) that offer different characters or may not adhere to the common Alt character placements. In such cases, the character map is the way to go!

Also, there are a couple of character fonts available through Windows that offer nothing but characters. Again, the Character Map will provide the full range and the correct Alt numbers.

Always remember that the Alt numbers are to be used with the keypad, and NOT the row of number keys across the top.

Another thing that is not commonly known is that you can type other languages on your keyboard. I don't have that setup on my present computer, but a few years ago, I had a challenge to make Cyrilic (sp?) safety labels for a process gas compressor that the company was selling to Russia. Somehow, the engineers missed that in the specs and on the final customer review of the unit, it was pointed out that all the safety lables had to be in Cyrillic. Guess who they came to... and I don't speak a word of Russian.

But, a quick phone call to an engineering friend in Moscow, he had his secretary type up all the labels and send me the file. I then downloaded the Cyrillic fonts from a site he recommended and loaded them into my computer and then "Russified" my keyboard. From there it was just a matter of formatting in my Corel Designer program and sending it to the printer with the imported type fonts.

Sometimes it's a HAPPY surprise that the computer gives us!

CWS
                    Last edited by CWSmith; 03-28-2009, 12:40 PM.

Comment

This works for me and I'm sure everyone gets the meaning for it. 9*, plain and simple.
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
                        This works for me and I'm sure everyone gets the meaning for it. 9*, plain and simple.
                        Where's the footnote???

I can't find the footnote....
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------

Comment

Working...
                        X