X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beware!

8 of them last week pulldowns and Elements where needed .

yea the restore stuff is now a-days actually on the driver cd or the OS cd that comes with you box (law was passed a few years ago that OEM's must give the OS CD to customers and NOT just on some partition)

Anyway if not then the software is there someplace and you have to make your own.

As far as this being a new worm variant...well one link i gave shows this variant. Also by definition a "varient" is the same worm with maybe a tad bit diff like the payload or where it sends the info it steals from you....etc but nothing so major as to classify it as a "NEW" worm. so if an anti mall ware could detect one it can detect them all (99% of the time).

Anyway...Norton? once upon a time iw was good now its a virus in itself. Stick with AVG or Avast, there free versions or paid versions and maybe toss in a bit of spywareblaster and you'll be smooth sailing

I'm not just a hammer jock <<<MS-MVP MCSE+I AVDP Beta Tester and several other acronyms that i don't recall at the moment LOL.

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    When's the last time you cleaned/tuned your water heater?

I had an old version of Norton on mine that was NOT updated. Whether it's true or not the computer tech told me that this is the newest version he has seen and did not know if ANY virus/malware would have helped. Guess I may have been a guinea pig of sorts.

Had to blow the dust off my old 98 machine. Halfway working though.

One thing that's frustrating is no restoration disks are sent with alot of computers now. Maybe partitioned but I and I think most others would prefer the disks and would pay the small amount it would add to the price of a new system.

J.C.

Comment

Based on UNIX..............bit a Variant LOL

Originally posted by Service Guy View Post
      Just throw that PC in the junkpile and buy a Macintosh!
      I switched to Mac a few years ago and it has been awesome. I only got one virus EVER, and it was easily removed using free software. There just aren't many viruses designed to work on a Mac's Operating System (Linux I think), so they are virtually immune!
      I don't even own any anti-virus software and so far haven't needed. Also my genius web-designer swears that Macs are superior and I trust him as he is a total computer nerd who makes his living with his computer.

Go Mac and don't look back!

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
        8 of them last week pulldowns and Elements where needed .

yea the restore stuff is now a-days actually on the driver cd or the OS cd that comes with you box (law was passed a few years ago that OEM's must give the OS CD to customers and NOT just on some partition)

Anyway if not then the software is there someplace and you have to make your own.

As far as this being a new worm variant...well one link i gave shows this variant. Also by definition a "varient" is the same worm with maybe a tad bit diff like the payload or where it sends the info it steals from you....etc but nothing so major as to classify it as a "NEW" worm. so if an anti mall ware could detect one it can detect them all (99% of the time).

Anyway...Norton? once upon a time iw was good now its a virus in itself. Stick with AVG or Avast, there free versions or paid versions and maybe toss in a bit of spywareblaster and you'll be smooth sailing

I'm not just a hammer jock <<<MS-MVP MCSE+I AVDP Beta Tester and several other acronyms that i don't recall at the moment LOL.
        Thanks. Good information.

Just to make sure-All new systems will come with the OS restoration discs by law?

That would compel me to consider a new system. My laptop fell into the apparent gray area when that wasn't required.

J.C.

Comment

how old is it? and yea back in the day they would put your OS on a hidden partition on your hard drive that can only be unlocked by the floppy or CD restore media.(if you were lucky) floppys go bad and cd's get lost and or scratched bla bla. the oems would usualy place a program amongs all the other crapware they install to recreate these if needed but like how the hell would gandpa and grandma know where to fine these let along someone with a bit more savy. what if you had to get a new hard drive? then what? your SOL and you PAID for that OS.

The law suits insued and thus we have said law that all oems must provide the OS and said restore(usualy on the OS cd as a CUSTOME os cd) on seperate media and not just hidden on the hard drive.

Comment

Time gets away. The laptop is maybe 4 years old. No restoration discs. The machine I'm typing on now is maybe 10 years old and has restoration discs.

J.C.

Comment

get it 2nd hand of something? ALSO many times you can go to the makers website and download a restore cd (many sell them to you too unfotunatly) but 4yo and no cd if you got it new i would ***** them out. of was it a floor model and it is what it is so to speak. if you do get it fixed i would consider ordering them.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
                get it 2nd hand of something? ALSO many times you can go to the makers website and download a restore cd (many sell them to you too unfotunatly) but 4yo and no cd if you got it new i would ***** them out. of was it a floor model and it is what it is so to speak. if you do get it fixed i would consider ordering them.
                Thanks for all the input. The laptop was bought new. Not a floor model either. Sealed box from a retailer. Not online ordered. At the time it was my understanding that alot of companies were cutting everything to the bone. Even shopping cords etc. pretty hard. So no CD's. And I could have swore I read recently that Apple was the last to follow suit in 2008.

But if you're in the business I take your word over what I "thought" I read.
                (Too much primer. )

J.C.

Comment

who knows big business gets away with murder i guess they figure its worth it if people dont squak and for thies who do whats a few cd's cost as aposed to a few in every box they sell. Still you pay for the OS with the cost of the PC an you should have that OS cd Period.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheesball81 Techguy.org forums
                    Download and run VundoFix: http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4
                    Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
                    Put a check next to Run VundoFix as a task.
                    You will receive a message saying vundofix will close and re-open in a minute or less. Click OK.
                    When VundoFix re-opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
                    Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
                    You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES.
                    Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
                    When completed, it will prompt that it will shutdown your computer, click OK.
                    Turn your computer back on.
                    Please post the contents of C:\vundofix.txt and a new HijackThis log.
                    While you can't get online to get the fix from the laptop, you could use your current box to download the fix onto a little flash drive (the little USB thingers) and run the vundofix.exe from that. It should work. Don't let the tech guys trash your laptop because of this. It can be fixed! I've removed Vundo.h from systems before.

DO NOT LET YOUR ANTI-VIRUS GET OUT OF DATE!!! There's too many FREE A-V programs out there to let that happen. You don't have to have Norton to have good, reliable anti-virus support. AVG Free is one of the good ones, and there's lots of others. I hear very good things about Kapersky anti-virus. Personally, I don't like Norton any more because of their failures in removal, their failures in updating to a new (paid) version, and their general lack of customer support. McAfee is a good alternative if you want to pay money, or even AVG Pro. Just look around and you'll find something that works good.
                    I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

I run mac and linux
                      no virus !

Comment

Working...
                      X