Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Computer Help/Rant

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
    Most Microsoft certified shops will have little to no knowledge of Mozilla applications. They are tested on Microsoft products, and have to show a good deal of proficiency in those products. They are definitely NOT encouraged to become familiar with anything other than IE and Office. The notion of Mozilla Thunderbird is foreign to many IT folks. The same thing with OpenOffice. While I tend to be more generalized due to my clientel, I understand where a certified shop has to be careful about their offerings. MS gets mighty peeved when they find techs using non-MS products in a certified shop. I seem to think that's related to the fact that MS is scared of Mozilla and OpenOffice.
    I've worked at places with people who had MS (and other) certifications. Some of them are pretty intense (Cisco and some of the harder MS ones). Others aren't. I don't think that them not knowing about non-MS stuff is due to malicious intent on Microsoft's part, it probably has more to do with the particular shop's culture.

It is easy to take classes on the MS stuff, things like OpenOffice and Mozilla not so much. If you are class/certification oriented, having a heavy MS concentration is then natural.

Also, it is relatively easy to go with the flow as far as IE, Office, and an entirely MS solution. If that is what most of your customers are doing, you can get good at that and invest your time and energy there instead of learning things that won't apply for most of your clients.

Comment

What ever happened to the A+ cert? Back when I studied for the MCSE exam there was also the A+ cert out there but that was 12 years ago.

Hey JC, I will sell you my 8 foot shelf of books from those classes and all the A+ courseware (videos, study guides, etc) if you want to get started. You'll just need about 3 months of steady reading and hands-on and you'll be good to go.

I remember in class we had two computers on our desk and while the instructor was taking us through doing something on one we were supposed to be loading NT4SVR on the other and configuring it per the sheet they gave us. You have to create folders for different groups in the fictitious company, create email accounts, set up group permissions to the folders, restrict access to certain printers, etc.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I think all 3 of you (cpw, VASandy, wathman) together kind of hit the nail on the Mozilla subject.

This company is NOT CompUsa/Geeksquadish. (no offense anyone)

So they are geared toward corporate clientele where MS is just known or offers what the various companies need. So this computer service company doesn't need to look outside there normal realm very often if ever.

Some guys did trickle in that were out in the field and a couple did know about Thunderbird.

They were very excited to find that Adobe's automatic updater was constantly pinging a companies line and just bogging every thing down.

Kind of like figuring out a plumbing mystery I guess.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          What ever happened to the A+ cert? Back when I studied for the MCSE exam there was also the A+ cert out there but that was 12 years ago.

Hey JC, I will sell you my 8 foot shelf of books from those classes and all the A+ courseware (videos, study guides, etc) if you want to get started. You'll just need about 3 months of steady reading and hands-on and you'll be good to go.

I remember in class we had two computers on our desk and while the instructor was taking us through doing something on one we were supposed to be loading NT4SVR on the other and configuring it per the sheet they gave us. You have to create folders for different groups in the fictitious company, create email accounts, set up group permissions to the folders, restrict access to certain printers, etc.
          Don't tempt me. The crawlspaces seem to get smaller all the time.

Or assume I couldn't cut it either.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
            I, personally, don't like Dell or HP all that much. I prefer my customers get custom-built machines. I'll support whatever they get, however, and will ask them to pay me the 3-yr support money they would've spent on a Dell or HP extended warranty. In our part of the world, it's better for them as Dell surely won't send a tech out here. I'm happy to build a system for someone, but it's difficult to compete on price. I tell them it's a quality thing along with purchasing power. I can't order 4 million hard drives. Dell orders bottom-of-the-barrel in a lot of things (like hard drives) and often times will have major problems with failures down the road.
            I pretty much agree with that, though the only snag is when you are dealing with laptop computers. If there was a true custom option for buying a quality laptop, I'd be recommending it. There are a few "barebones" laptop kits out there from manufacturers like MSI and OCZ, they tend to be heavy and more expensive than equivalent machines from Dell or HP.

From a hardware standpoint, Dell never plans on making a profit on the computer itself. The warranty is where they make money since it only comes into play if there are problems. If I didn't know how to repair computers myself, I would much rather pay someone local for service and expertise than take a craps shoot at what Dell is willing to give for their "premium" price.

Comment

Working...
            X