X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email advice

I had a computer virus that techs removed. Now Mozilla Thunderbird and my Invoicing program don't work together.

Before: Create an invoice, click the email icon at the top of the invoicing program, a .pdf is created in Thunderbird, you add a message, then send-no problems.

Now: You do the same but at 99%, consistently, the email fails to finish sending.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have checked internet options in the Control Panel. The default email and newsgroups is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Mozilla has set SMTP default settings. I can send and receive mail as normal other than not being able to use the invoicing program as before.

The invoicing programs (Invoices and Estimates Pro 2.0) email settings are at MAPI. If I change it to SMTP settings Mozilla will not open at all when clicking the email icon in the invoicing program. A small window of what looks like Outlook Express opens to send mail.

Once again, thanks for any input.

J.C.

Re: Email advice

well, that's better than i ca do. i have to save it as a pdf and then email the invoice.

my program can email it directly. problem is my computer go to guy/ joeys brother is stumped

so i just save it as a pdf and email as an attachment.

i keep an email file just for work invoices and can check invoices from any computer via my email account.

over the weekend, i had a customer that was upset his pressure assist toilet at his office was leaking from the flush cartridge. he expected me to fix it for free on monday when i got home from the trade show. i told him i would look at my invoice when i got home.

instead i looked via my email and discovered that i changed the cartridge 12/04 and even left the old one for him for emergency.

so not only did i have access to my records, i also called him to inform him that the spare cartridge is with him and the unit doesn't have a 4.5 year warranty

mark was surprised i didn't know this in my head with no computer

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      well, that's better than i ca do. i have to save it as a pdf and then email the invoice.

my program can email it directly. problem is my computer go to guy/ joeys brother is stumped

so i just save it as a pdf and email as an attachment.

i keep an email file just for work invoices and can check invoices from any computer via my email account.

over the weekend, i had a customer that was upset his pressure assist toilet at his office was leaking from the flush cartridge. he expected me to fix it for free on monday when i got home from the trade show. i told him i would look at my invoice when i got home.

instead i looked via my email and discovered that i changed the cartridge 12/04 and even left the old one for him for emergency.

so not only did i have access to my records, i also called him to inform him that the spare cartridge is with him and the unit doesn't have a 4.5 year warranty

mark was surprised i didn't know this in my head with no computer

rick.
      Thanks. My email program was integrated. You just click mail in the invoice program, the email program opens (you can use Outlook, Eudora, Mozilla etc.) and send.

Now she no work.

I have all previous invoices sent saved in Mozilla & the Invoicing Program. But I don't have an independent account "out there" on a server like you. That might be a really good idea I should use because once an email program (Mozilla, Outlook etc.) "grabs or sends" email through your proxy server, it's gone from the server and is now held on your personal cpu. Mine does, I checked through the site and with tech support of the company.

Like you say, then I could check records from any cpu or even a handheld device.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

The registry entry that connects your invoicing software to your email program may have been removed when they "fixed" your computer.

Try re-installing the invoicing software, repairing the current installation. I would email tech support for your invoicing software and ask how to best handle this first though.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
          The registry entry that connects your invoicing software to your email program may have been removed when they "fixed" your computer.

Try re-installing the invoicing software, repairing the current installation. I would email tech support for your invoicing software and ask how to best handle this first though.
          Already went through the invoicing software companies tech inquiry site. Waiting for a reply.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
            Now: You do the same but at 99%, consistently, the email fails to finish sending.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

I have checked internet options in the Control Panel. The default email and newsgroups is Mozilla Thunderbird.

Mozilla has set SMTP default settings. I can send and receive mail as normal other than not being able to use the invoicing program as before.

J.C.
            A few more things to look into if the tech support doesn't come through for you:

You mentioned regular email works fine, have you tried sending an email through Thunderbird with an attachment you add yourself? Does it still fail at 99% this way as well?

If you are able to, see if you can find an event log within Thunderbird. Not sure where exactly to look in the menus to find it, but it should exist somewhere. That should at least tell you something about why it is failing and help you focus the troubleshooting.

Also, since you're using emails for running your business and keeping an electronic copy on a server is a good idea, you might be able to change your Thunderbird settings to only copy mails from your server and not purge them. Only do this if you have plenty of storage on your mail server, if they limit you at just a few megabytes, your box will fill on the server and prevent new messages from coming in.

Another solution for "off site computer storage of emails" would be to set up an account on Gmail or your preferred web based email, and set your Thunderbird client to carbon copy your emails to that address. That way you don't have to worry about limited storage capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
              Already went through the invoicing software companies tech inquiry site. Waiting for a reply.

Thanks.

J.C.
              Calling is very expensive if it is the same program Rick uses. I think they charge by the minute.
              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                Calling is very expensive if it is the same program Rick uses. I think they charge by the minute.
                They have responded in the past through their email/tech site for no charge. Never called though.

Thanks for the information.

J.C.

Comment

J.C., try posting your query on Tech Support Guy Forums here: http://forums.techguy.org/

Post your question in either business applications or e-mail. They have many savvy computer gurus there and the advice is free. I have used it in the past with great success. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X