Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 upgrade coupons will be available with new computers starting 6/26/09

If you're in the market for a new computer, it probably would be a good move to wait until June 26 to make a purchase. That's when the major computer manufacturers will be offering free Windows 7 Upgrade coupons with the purchase of new systems. The operating system won't be available until this fall, though it should offer enough improvements that many people will eventually want to upgrade.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Win...pons,8074.html

Re: Windows 7 upgrade coupons will be available with new computers starting 6/26/09

More information on Windows 7 upgrade and availability is now available.
    http://gizmodo.com/5302371/windows-7...od-news-mostly

Here's a summary of what's mentioned in the blog:
    Free upgrade coupons for people who purchase a new computer starting tomorrow 6/26.
    Pricing: Home Premium $120, Professional $200, Ultimate $220. Most computer users will get enough functionality from the Home Premium upgrade. If you want more advanced networking functions, the Pro has those. If you decide to adopt early, you can save a lot of money by pre-ordering: Home Premium will be $50, Professional will be $100 for a limited time only.

I've been playing with the Windows 7 Beta a little bit and I'm pretty happy with the performance of it. I signed up to be a tester for our work computers so I'll get a chance to see how well it holds up in a professional environment as well. Anyone else have any thoughts or insights on Windows 7?

Comment

Re: Windows 7 upgrade coupons will be available with new computers starting 6/26/09

Why would you upgrade to window 7 I will waite for the full version in October get a new computer and have it installed without having any part of that crappy vista.

Tony

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        Why would you upgrade to window 7 I will waite for the full version in October get a new computer and have it installed without having any part of that crappy vista.

Tony
        If you can wait till October, that's certainly a good option, though for some people who need a new computer sooner than that, the upgrade coupon is an okay choice. Also, as long as you have a valid copy for upgrading to windows 7, you can still reformat the hard drive and do a clean install. That way you get windows 7 without the taint of Vista

Comment

I don't want anything to do with Vista's "taint"

Comment

This got me thinking about Microsoft and their R&D. No matter how many times they try and fail, they keep trying to improve in areas nobody has ever been before.

Their R&D has a budget of app. 6 billion dollars or so and that's a lot of moola in anybody's ledger.

Here's a quote from some site I found in looking at this deal. How many times have I poked at these big successful plumbing contractors in the same way Jobs does to MS?
            Steve Jobs is a funny guy. Its easy for him to have a dig at a more successful company (Microsoft) and claim that his OS is better when you can count the number of Mac software titles on one hand and the number of people writing viruses and malware for it on one knuckle. A Mac is like a Corvette with no engine. Sure it looks nice but what can you use it for?

Jobs' criticsm can't be taken seriously.
            (The Low Spark of Steel-Toed Boys)

Comment

Tony
              You do realize that Windows 7 IS Windows Vista. The anti vista mac ads were amusing for a while but if your still avoiding Vista for XP that's pretty sad. XP is a horribly outdated held together by patches and too old and insecure at this point. Vista right now is completely superior and highly polished enough that there's no good reason to avoid it. Win 7 largely based on Vista.
              Last edited by Velosapien; 07-14-2009, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                You do realize that Windows 7 IS Windows Vista. The anti vista mac ads were amusing for a while but if your still avoiding Vista for XP that's pretty sad. XP is a horribly outdated held together by patches and too old and insecure at this point. Vista right now is completely superior and highly polished enough that there's no good reason to avoid it. Win 7 largely based on Vista.
                You do realize that windows 7 is a clean version without all the patches vista has had over the last three years and those annoying pop ups checking whether you really want to do this and that and not being compatible with hardware or software your using.
                No I'll wait for windows 7 and do a clean install and you are right XP is a patched up mess but it sh*ts all over Vista which has lost Microsoft a lot of money and prestige and this is why they will be saying good riddens as well.

Tony

Comment

Windows 7 is not a clean version or new os. It's an incremental upgrade based right off the Vista kernel with all the patches and improvements Vista has up to date. You could say it's a really big service pack with a highly polished version of Vista. Compatibilitywise Win 7 is virtually identical since they are both the same core. The advantage to Win 7 is it will allow XP mode emulation via virtual pc but will require a valid XP license (you will still need to pay for an XP license if you dont have an unused one available) and it's a seperate install. Only the high end versions like ultimate will not require the extra license. They are actually relying on this to take care of legacycompatibility problems and get rid of a lot of outdated XP and earlier era stuff tying down vista. That means at its core 7 will probably end up being less compatible. For the most part this is getting less important over time as you'd be hard pressed to find any non-vista compatible software at this point unless you still need to run old software that is no longer updated.
                  Last edited by Velosapien; 07-15-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

and those annoying pop ups checking whether you really want to do this and that
                    Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Turn User Account Control Off.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                      Windows 7 is not a clean version or new os. It's an incremental upgrade based right off the Vista kernel with all the patches and improvements Vista has up to date. You could say it's a really big service pack with a highly polished version of Vista. Compatibilitywise Win 7 is virtually identical since they are both the same core. The advantage to Win 7 is it will allow XP mode emulation via virtual pc but will require a valid XP license (you will still need to pay for an XP license if you dont have an unused one available) and it's a seperate install. Only the high end versions like ultimate will not require the extra license. They are actually relying on this to take care of legacycompatibility problems and get rid of a lot of outdated XP and earlier era stuff tying down vista. That means at its core 7 will probably end up being less compatible. For the most part this is getting less important over time as you'd be hard pressed to find any non-vista compatible software at this point unless you still need to run old software that is no longer updated.
                      Great to talk to you but I have my opinion and you have yours and never the twains will meet.
                      But another matter my default browser is Internet explorer but I also have firefox which I use so how do I make firefox my default browser and make it simple.

Tony

Comment

This should do it:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...efault+Browser

If after that IE still tries to reset itself as the default whenever it's opened set it straight through Control Panel/Default Programs

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...+does+not+work

Comment

From all that I've read, it is true that Windows 7 is largely based on existing code from Windows Vista, but there's still a number of additions and changes that set Windows 7 apart. We can spend all day nit picking the details on how much is new and how much is old, though it really wouldn't change anything besides perception of the product. Probably the most significant reason to upgrade to Windows 7 is that it is not such a resource hog like Vista tends to be. Vista does indeed run pretty well if you have a computer with plenty of power. If your setup is less than ideal, the Vista experience can get pretty miserable. Windows 7 requires less space and resources, it should have no trouble running on any low powered netbook. It would be nearly impossible to get Vista installed on anything smaller than an ultra-light notebook.

The graphics engine has been reworked in Windows 7, allowing weaker CPUs and graphics chipsets to perform better with the Vista-like Aero graphics. In the earlier days of Vista, if you didn't have enough graphics processing power, the entire system's performance would suffer if you didn't disable Aero.

I also know that networking has been reworked with Windows 7 in the form of "homegroups." I played around with it a little bit with the beta version of Windows 7, and I wasn't all that happy with it. Once bugs are worked out and hardware is supported better in the final release, I guess it will be an improvement. But from what I saw, it's just as quirky as Vista's networking, but at least I know what Vista's quirks are and how to compensate.

There's a bunch of other tweaks or cosmetic changes, but not much else to it. Some other performance related modifications, but they aren't anything average users would be concerned about. Largely, it will feel like Windows product Vista was supposed to be, but as it was already mentioned, Vista has already developed that far. Windows 7 just takes it a bit further, and does so more efficiently.

Comment

I am running win7 Release candidate on a 5-1/2 y/o computer that would never run Vista in a million years. It may be on the Vista Kernel, but it is so much more efficient than Vista. Out of the box install of Ultimate, with AVG free antivirus, Office 2k7, etc. and I am only in the mid 40's on processes. My work computer is in the high 70's running Vista Business. It found drivers for all the hardware in my elderly computer automatically, configured itself perfectly, and while it is not as snappy as the same computer on XP, it works well, runs very stably, and overall has been a good experience for a pre-release software.

Comment

Working...
                            X