I'm Listening (NOT Dr. Phil)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Listening (NOT Dr. Phil)

This is interesting and disturbing. I have been aware of the capabilities for some time. I see that a local TV station has done a feature story on it now and it's on YouTube. I thought you all might want to watch it and protect your phones. You would think that it would have been well known the the phone manufacturers that this was possible and precautions taken to protect your privacy, but just like computers there are loads of backdoors and malware available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyKcoDaofg

They don't say it in this video but be careful of what you download to your phone. Just because it says it's a free ring tone does not mean it is, or that it's not something more than just a ring tone.

And when it's time to trade your old cell in or donate it, go here first or read your manual on how to erase all your information from the phone before you give it away.

http://www.recellular.com/recycling/...er/default.asp
    Last edited by Bob D.; 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Re: I'm Listening (NOT Dr. Phil)

That is real creepy man.

If I understand it correctly, someone would have to take your phone, put software on it, then give it back to you.

Then they would have full access to your whereabouts, conversations-even if you're not using the phone, and texts.

Who'd a thunk it?

J.C.

Comment

Re: I'm Listening (NOT Dr. Phil)

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
      That is real creepy man.

If I understand it correctly, someone would have to take your phone, put software on it, then give it back to you.

Then they would have full access to your whereabouts, conversations-even if you're not using the phone, and texts.

Who'd a thunk it?

J.C.

No, unfortunately they don't have to be in possession of your phone if they can trick you into installing it for them, say by offering a FREE ringtone or an app to calculate tips or some other nonsense. The app may have real worth and full functionality, but what got installed alongside is the problem. Even an email sent to your phone can be trouble. You've just got to be careful and know your sources, and enable the lock on your phone if you don't have sight of it all the time.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
      X