LCD or CRT Monitor?

What do you guys / gals use?

I still use CRT monitors

• PlumbingSkool
    replied
    Re: LCD or CRT Monitor?

Originally posted by peerawit View Post
    I think a refurbished LCD is better than
    CRT.. The quality is better and the price is cheaper..
    LCD'S don't have TRUE color like a CRT, you need a plasma

Leave a comment:

• peerawit
    replied

I think a refurbished LCD is better than CRT.. The quality is better and the price is cheaper..

Leave a comment:

• PlumbingSkool
    replied

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    Will someone tell Rick when placing a photo please use less pixals as scolling from left to right to read this thread is bloody annoying.

Tony

AGreed ;-)

@Josh, You should install that "re size" image plugin so large images don't break the borwser

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

tony, it was taken by a 2mp camera phone and emailed to me.

why such a large format?

i'll go back and resize it

rick.

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Will someone tell Rick when placing a photo please use less pixals as scolling from left to right to read this thread is bloody annoying.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• darius
    replied

Originally posted by AFM View Post
    the plasma is better with fast action movies
    That's just great. Now I need a plasma for fast action and an LCD for slow, romantic scenes.

Leave a comment:

• wathman
    replied

I agree with all you said on Plasma vs LCD except the power consumption. The LCD pixels act more like shutters on tiny windows, the power needed to set them to open or closed is negligible. Most of the power consumption from an LCD comes from the CCFL backlighting, which wasn't too bad to begin with. Now that the high end LCD market is moving towards LED backlighting, they are even more energy efficient. The best models even have regional LED dimming that will turn off LEDs for black segments of images, reducing power consumption more, and improving deep black levels also.

Plasma is a great technology, but it hasn't advanced as much as LCD tech has in the past few years. Since we're seeing the first entries of OLED and Laser for large screen displays, it's only a matter of time before these could displace LCDs and Plasmas in the market.

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

The reason for buying my 50" viera panasonic was, it was made in Japan and not in China where a lot of electrical crap comes from, and that LCD's uses more power as the plasma pixals are turning on and off as needed where with the LCD they are on all the time, and that the plasma is better with fast action movies where the LCD image blurs, but everyone has there own opinions

Tony

Leave a comment:

• wathman
    replied

I wouldn't say it's all that strange... now that Pioneer is out of the plasma panel business, Panasonic is now the best manufacturer for plasmas. While Pioneer still had their Kuro Elites in production, Panasonic was almost as good, and came at a much cheaper price.

As for keeping around old CRTs, yeah they had better color reproduction, and better frequency response time for on-screen motion, but they consumed tons of power. With the new LED backlit LCDs, they use a fraction of the power that CRTs did. My pair of current Dell 24" flat panels use about 50-60 watts total when in use.

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    going from our little acer 8.1'' laptops to our new 50'' panasonic plasmas

now i can enjoy charlie in full size

see you in a few weeks

rick.

Something is scary here we have the same taste in plasma TV's

Tony

Leave a comment:

• AFM
    replied

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
    when i really want to have a picture, i plug into the 50'' flat screen.

my laptops are all lcd.

rick.
    Yes the 50" plasma is great for watching a picture, but the projection unit is better for DVD movies.

Tony

Leave a comment:

• PLUMBER RICK
    replied

going from our little acer 8.1'' laptops to our new 50'' panasonic plasmas

now i can enjoy charlie in full size

see you in a few weeks

rick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PLUMBER RICK; 08-22-2009, 03:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cpw
    replied

Originally posted by PlumbingSkool View Post
    Oh BTW -

Do you have a Mac 24" monitor?
    No, I have a three year old Thinkpad connected to Samsung 2433BW. It is a pretty decent monitor for $300; and has a higher resolution (1920x1200) than the CRT it replaced (21", 1600x1200). The width has some useful applications; one that I'm particularly interested in right now is viewing Waveforms from Logic simulations.

Leave a comment:

• PlumbingSkool
    replied

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    I used a CRT up until December at home and May at work. I've got a 24" LCD now and am very happy with the space savings and extra width. Now I just need a 30".
    Oh BTW -

Do you have a Mac 24" monitor?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X