X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Post Images in your Threads

This has been asked over and over so I figured I would put together a post explaining the easiest way to resize, attach, and embed images just like the Pros do. Images really add a lot to your posts and help other members to understand what your talking about. AKA... posting images makes your posts more interesting.

Step 1: Resizing the Image

This one seems to be the toughest one to get people past. Some of you know how to use photo editing software but for the majority of you its black magic. So here's the easiest way to resize. I haven't tried installing this on Vista yet but I can confirm it works fine on XP. You will only have to set this up once then resizing images will be a piece of cake form now on.

IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS XP DO THIS....

To download Microsofts Image Resizer which is part of their windows XP power toys, follow this link then scroll down and on the right you will see a link entitled "Image Resizer" Its the 5th link from the bottom in the right column.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

IF YOU HAVE WINDOWS VISTA USE THIS... (Thanks Bob. D)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phototoysclone/

Once you download this, run it. The install will be fairly short and once its installed you will have a new option when you right click on an image called "Resize pictures"

To resize a large image to make it small enough for the forum, simply right click on the image and choose "resize pictures" you will then get a screen that looks like this....

I would suggest choosing 640x480. Once you click ok it will spit out a copy of the image in the same directory with the word "(small)" in the name.

Step 2: Attaching the Image

The next thing your going to want to do is attach your resized image to the thread. To attach and image scroll down past the submit and preview buttons until you get to the "Manage Attachments" button.

This button will pop up a new window. In this window you will want to hit the Browse button and choose the image you just resized. Click Upload and the image will then be attached to your post.

You can attach up to 5 images on any given thread.

Step 3: Embedding the images in your post

You will see some posts on the forum like my tutorial here where the attached images are actually embeded in the post text. To do this all you need to do is scroll back down to the attachment area (below the submit and preview) and you will see links to all your attachments.

You will need to click on the link of the image you want to embed. When you click on the link it will open a new window with that image in it.

Next copy the URL from the address bar and close the image window.

Now go back into your post and put your cursor where you want the image to show up.

Finally click on the little icon that looks like a mountain and a sun. Then paste the URL your just copied for the image into the text box.

Hit ok and you are all set.

I would encourage you guys to try this out. It may look like a lot of steps but it is relaly easy once you get the hang of it and it really makes threads more interesting having pictures.

Josh
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Josh; 09-02-2009, 09:30 AM.

Re: How to Post Images in your Threads

sure josh,where were you 2 years ago when i was at the mercy of joey

now do the same thread with posting videos

i've got enough to start a whole new forum

thanks,

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
      sure josh,where were you 2 years ago when i was at the mercy of joey

now do the same thread with posting videos

i've got enough to start a whole new forum

thanks,

rick.
      2 or more years ago this was covered by yours truly, cpw, and others. We pretty much beat it to death, but it was not a sticky so people could not find it. I have even posted how you can get the same functionality as the XP Image Resizer Powertoy which does not work with Vista, sometime in the past year I think.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

By all means if we can find that app and/or directions please share. I would love to merge it to this one. The question gets asked over and over again so making it sticky could help or at least having a step by step for every part of posting an image.

Thanks Bob.

josh

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
        2 or more years ago this was covered by yours truly, cpw, and others. We pretty much beat it to death, but it was not a sticky so people could not find it. I have even posted how you can get the same functionality as the XP Image Resizer Powertoy which does not work with Vista, sometime in the past year I think.

Comment

Here's the piece about the Image Resizer for Vista. Scroll down near the end of the thread and you'll find a couple posts from me.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23073
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Added Bob's Vista resizer to the original post. Thanks Bob!

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
            Here's the piece about the Image Resizer for Vista. Scroll down near the end of the thread and you'll find a couple posts from me.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23073

Comment

Sure would like to post pics but only hav iPad and I'm new to technology..the down loads don't work for me. Any suggestions Thx

Comment

One thing I didn't see or notice is what is the largest bit (kb) size of a photo will the site handle?

Comment

I find using flickr.com a lot better and easier, though of course the free account only shows your latest 200 photos. But all you have to do is upload, click share, choose the HTML/BB code, choose 500px longest side, copy the code, then paste it here. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                  X