Another Dummies Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dummies Question

Can you copy data onto a DVD as a back up and if so How.???

Tony

Re: Another Dummies Question

i have not been able to do so. CPW may know. i just use a reg cd for that.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Yes, I used to do just that many years ago. Now I prefer to back up onto a second Hard Drive since their price has come down so much.

I used to use DVDs to back up my Music, Photos and Documents. Now I use a second Hard Drive to back up the entire contents of the first Hard Drive.

The procedure for backing up onto a DVD depends on the software you are using. I own a mac and that functionality is built into the operating system, they make it as simple as Drag, Drop and Burn.

A friend running Windows suggests using NERO software. Cost about $50.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        Can you copy data onto a DVD as a back up and if so How.???

Tony
        I think most new CD-burning software will also burn DVD's. I've had success with Nero, which came with my DVD drive.

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
          Yes, I used to do just that many years ago. Now I prefer to back up onto a second Hard Drive since their price has come down so much.

I used to use DVDs to back up my Music, Photos and Documents. Now I use a second Hard Drive to back up the entire contents of the first Hard Drive.

The procedure for backing up onto a DVD depends on the software you are using. I own a mac and that functionality is built into the operating system, they make it as simple as Drag, Drop and Burn.

A friend running Windows suggests using NERO software. Cost about $50.
          Yes I've have second external 500G HD but I like to have two separate back ups and rotate them and always have one away from my computer in the unlikely envent my house burns down and DVD's hold more data than a CD, I have nero but every time I try to use it, it won't let me back up to a DVD.

Tony

Comment

Working...
          X