Cool Running Laptops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool Running Laptops

Any advice or links for laptops that operate at a cooler temperature?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Cool Running Laptops

Any of them with a solid state hard drive.

Mark
    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

wasn't that a movie?
      the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

What do you want to do with the computer? Something with a large screen, like 17" for instance, is generally considered a desktop replacement. Those will always run hotter then something with a mobile processor in it. In my work truck I run an 11" netbook for invoicing and stuff. I wouldn't want to encode movies with it, but it runs cool and the battery lasts all day on one charge.

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          Any of them with a solid state hard drive.

Mark
          Actually 80% of heat in any pc or laptop are produced by CPU, video card, Wifi radio module and chipset.

Then 20% is the charge controller, hard drive, power supply, RAM. SSD will only lower your ambient temp by 2-4 deg C, and they consume just as much power as HDD based on real life tests (Intel X-25M for example).

What you need is a ULV (ultra low voltage) processor with low TDP (thermal design power). For example Intel Atom or AMD Neo based laptops produce significantly less heat and are a lot more power efficient. Wikipedia has an article with a table of TDP for each CPU. For example my desktop has Intel i7 CPU with TDP of 95 watts, and my laptop is Atom Z520 based has TDP of 4 watts.

Typical laptop HDD TDP is around 7 watts (12v @ 550 mA seek current). Compare that to Intel Pentium 4 mobile CPU (typical in all pre-2007 laptops) TDP of 35 watts.

If you need more performance and less heat, go with Intel Core-solo based laptop and low-performance integrated video card or Atom-based laptops if you are going to use it for browsing/typing.

Comment

Working...
          X