X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 7 XP mode

Well its time to have my new computer built and am wondering if the XP mode is any good as I want to run some of my existing business programs I have on it, also would you buy window 7 Professional or Ultimate whats the differance.

Tony

Re: Windows 7 XP mode

i just bought a mini hp laptop yesterday for the van. for that reason. it has xp. i was told that most programs and games etc will not work on win 7. even in xp mode there will be conflics. it is just a supued up vista. and you know how beloved that is!
    it took me 3 years or so to switch from 98 to xp. it will probubly take longer for me to swtich to win 7. the mini's here have been flying off the shelves with xp on them. i got one of the last ones in a 90 mile area.
    the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
      i just bought a mini hp laptop yesterday for the van. for that reason. it has xp. i was told that most programs and games etc will not work on win 7. even in xp mode there will be conflics. it is just a supued up vista. and you know how beloved that is!
      it took me 3 years or so to switch from 98 to xp. it will probubly take longer for me to swtich to win 7. the mini's here have been flying off the shelves with xp on them. i got one of the last ones in a 90 mile area.
      I really wanted to hear good news not bad news and from your experience I`ll have to buy new business progarms dam it, that bloody Visa I hope Gate's ears turn into ******holes and Sh=t all over his shoulders.

Tony

Comment

Its too early to tell how well windows 7 works in xp mode. I started downloading my copy this morning. I completely skipped vista and bought windows 7. I hope to install it some time before the weekend

Comment

Been running windows 7 release candidate 1 for several months. Have not had many problems with older programs running. Works well so I expect the released version to be fine. If you have had issues with Vista it may behoove you to back up your data, format, and do a clean install in case an upgrade install brings over some Vista trash. Win 7 is much more than a souped up Vista. It is much leaner and less bloated than Vista. I have been running it on a 6 year old computer that would not have handled Vista. I think it is going to be a good one. That being said, if you are running XP and happy, I don't see a compelling need to upgrade, but if you want the latest and greatest, I wouldn't be afraid of it either.

Comment

Honestly one of my biggest reasons to upgrade is so I can run media server on my upstairs pc and watch movies listen to music and look at pictures on my xbox360 in the basement.

Other than that I guess i am getting bored with XP

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              Its too early to tell how well windows 7 works in xp mode. I started downloading my copy this morning. I completely skipped vista and bought windows 7. I hope to install it some time before the weekend
              The reason for buying a new computer is that I am sick of the blue screen of death popping up when I am doing something important and a clean installation is the way to go.
              Reading the spec's XP mode and internet explorer has to be down loaded form Microsoft after the installation of windows 7, as it is a separate part of the Windows 7.
              I am waiting with baited breeth waiting for your comments Josh on the XP mode so stop buggerising around and get on with it and give me a full report take a sicky if you have to.

Tony

Comment

Tony, you could also come into the twenty first century and look at buying an Apple.
                I switched because it was slow on start up and Vista was coming out and I could only see bad news.
                The Mac is great, I can open the lid on the lap top and it is good to go in ten seconds, I can take it to anyones printer and it will print straight away and it very rarely crashes.
                The Mac has a few short cuts to get use to and it is always good for the windows diehards to point out that that you can't get all windows based programs to run but then there are a number of Mac programs that don't run on a windows machine, all the MYOB and Quicken are also available in Mac.

I have had my machine for two years and if it were stolen tomorrow I would go and buy another, a feature of the Mac is that it has a installed program that backs up the computer when it is hooked up to an external hard drive, so that if this one was stolen, I pick up a new one hook it up to the external hard drive and the new machine is where I was last time it was backed up.

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by Some Day Plumbing View Post
                  Tony, you could also come into the twenty first century and look at buying an Apple.
                  I switched because it was slow on start up and Vista was coming out and I could only see bad news.
                  The Mac is great, I can open the lid on the lap top and it is good to go in ten seconds, I can take it to anyones printer and it will print straight away and it very rarely crashes.
                  The Mac has a few short cuts to get use to and it is always good for the windows diehards to point out that that you can't get all windows based programs to run but then there are a number of Mac programs that don't run on a windows machine, all the MYOB and Quicken are also available in Mac.

I have had my machine for two years and if it were stolen tomorrow I would go and buy another, a feature of the Mac is that it has a installed program that backs up the computer when it is hooked up to an external hard drive, so that if this one was stolen, I pick up a new one hook it up to the external hard drive and the new machine is where I was last time it was backed up.

Simon
                  My first computer was an Apple Mac SE in 1987 it cost $7,000.00 it had a 20 MB hard drive and a I MB of ram and that little black and grey screen and I thought I would never run out of memory, and the reason for buying it was the mouse which made it easy to use as the only other was the PC and MSDos which was impossible to use.
                  I keep buying Mac`s untill 1997 with windows 95 which was a mini copy of the Mac operating system with the dust bin in the upper right hand corner of the screen instead of the left, but the problem was the majority of business programs were on PC`s and in 1997 I bought one and haven`t looked back, I looked into the Mac and boot camp and patitioning it to run windows but discided it wasn`t worth it, I feel from all the comments I've read on windows 7 it is going to be as great and even better than XP which has been a great operating system.

Tony

Comment

According to the recent market share report Windows market share is 93.04%, which clearly states that Windows is the worldwide dominant OS. Of the 93% Windows market share, roughly 70% users have an edition of Windows XP.
                    Windows 7 is latest version of operating system from Microsoft that has the capabilities of both Windows Vista and Windows XP. Windows 7 contains XP compatibility mode that allows users to use their old XP based applications on Windows 7 easily. I posted what I all know...Hope this would help you.
                    need polo printing

Comment

Read this article about XP mode. It requires the correct CPU chip and is a download from Microsoft. It will run on Windows 7 professional and higher versions.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101503137.html

Comment

I just have to say one thing

BUT Windows 7 looks interesting ;-)

------------------------------------------------ ;-)
                        Last edited by PlumbingSkool; 11-09-2009, 06:56 PM.
                        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
                        New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

Well I have just got my new computer with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit with XP mode and have found that most of my old XP software and hardware work on it and was worried over nothing, but I am having problem backing up Quickbooks and quicken to CD`s as the CD burning folder which worked on XP dosen't sime to exist on windows 7 ?????

Tony

Comment

quickbooks is coming out with a 64 bit program in the spring.
                            the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                              quickbooks is coming out with a 64 bit program in the spring.
                              Thats right in April here in Aus

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X