X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 Bit verses 64 Bit

I`m having a new computer built with window 7, 64 bit ultimate, I know 64 bit can handle more info and support more ram but I am getting confused with hardware and software can one use the existing keyboard and mouse and LCD screen with the new computer which is running on my existing 32bit computer in other words will hardware and software run on 32 & 64 bit computers and visa vera.???????????

Tony

Re: 32 Bit verses 64 Bit

64 Bit is great if you need raw power.

BUT - Many programs do still not yet support a 64 bit OS

Read all about 64 bit here
    64-bit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to vs 64 bit‎: A change from a 32-bit to a 64-bit architecture is a fundamental alteration, as most operating systems must be extensively modified ...

That will help you.
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Comment

I have Vista Ultimate in 64 bit and it is a pain because so many programs, including my print drivers do not have a 64 bit version.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
        I`m having a new computer built with window 7, 64 bit ultimate, I know 64 bit can handle more info and support more ram but I am getting confused with hardware and software can one use the existing keyboard and mouse and LCD screen with the new computer which is running on my existing 32bit computer in other words will hardware and software run on 32 & 64 bit computers and visa vera.???????????

Tony
        Hi Tony.

I, too, opted for a 64-bit system, when I bought my new computer, earlier this year. PlumbingSchool just provided a few links, with some very informative stuff; the same that I wish I had read before making my purchase. I had no problems in using the monitor, keyboard & mouse (that I already had) with the new system, but I did run into problems with some of my software.

You would think that software manufacturers would offer such updates for their programs (and there are a few that do). But some manufacturers are forcing you to buy new, updated versions of their programs. It just so happens (with me) that the most important programs to my workflow, are the ones that a whole new version will have to be purchased for.

That...is a bummer .
        ~Blessings~

Nathan

Comment

There should be no difference for keyboards, mice, hard disks, etc.

The real advantage is that you can address more than 4GB of RAM (32-bits can store 4*2^32 or about 4 billion).

Comment

After reading your advice on the 64 Bit computer I am still going ahead with it as I feel they will start taking off over the next year or two and have been told that Quickbooks here will be bringing out a 64 Bit Quickbooks in april 2010 which is my main business program and will just use my old computer in the mean time and I feel other software makers wont want to be left behind, 32 bit has had its day where you can only run 3.5 to 4 GB of ram my new computer will have 8GB as I like running a whole lot of programs at ther one time.

Tony

Comment

Tony
              I had been used vista with 32 bit, while using this I have faced little bit problems like system hanging etc, then I migrated to vista with 64 bit. Now its working amazing. I didn't face any problem like before.
              Internet filtering software

Internet filtering programs

Comment

Originally posted by InternetFilter View Post
                I had been used vista with 32 bit, while using this I have faced little bit problems like system hanging etc, then I migrated to vista with 64 bit. Now its working amazing. I didn't face any problem like before.
                Yes my new computer is working well but I haven't got any 64 bit aplications on it yet as all my software and hardware are 32 bit and I will have to wait till April 2010 when Quickbooks 64 bit software come out.

Tony

Comment

We have Vista 64bit on our laptop thats in our storm chasing car. It is not supported and hard to find programs to that will run off it. I have to install programs to make other programs work. Our weather radar and a mapping program have to be tricked to think they are on a 32bit system. I hate it and would not wish it on anyone.
                  http://www.all-clear-sewer.com/

Comment

Benefits of using 64bit outweigh the 32bit addressing space but it needs to be noted that 32bit programs sunning under 64 OS will use more memory than under their native 32 bit OS. In some cases the increased physical memory won't help the application's performance a whole lot.

The increased memory requirement for 64bit apps under 64 bit OS is also a fact but not the increase is not as significant as in the case above.
                    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Originally posted by darius View Post
                      Benefits of using 64bit outweigh the 32bit addressing space but it needs to be noted that 32bit programs sunning under 64 OS will use more memory than under their native 32 bit OS. In some cases the increased physical memory won't help the application's performance a whole lot.

The increased memory requirement for 64bit apps under 64 bit OS is also a fact but not the increase is not as significant as in the case above.
                      Well you seem to be the computer wiss how do I solve another problem with my new computer.
                      I have a pricing program which worked fine on my old XP computer, my supplier emailsl me a price list every month and I insert it into my documents then copy it into my pricing program.
                      But on my new computer my documents are different in each mode and I cannot get a path through them and when I try to insert the emailed price list onto my C drive or through a USB stick a message pops up "This folder is marked as Read only" so what can I do to access the price list into the XP mode and the my documents in it.?

Tony

Comment

But on my new computer my documents are different in each mode and I cannot get a path through them and when I try to insert the emailed price list onto my C drive or through a USB stick a message pops up "This folder is marked as Read only" so what can I do to access the price list into the XP mode and the my documents in it.?

Tony
                        could be a lot of thins, so some loose thoughts...

IF I understand the problem correctly then this may have to do with file system security that became somewhat convoluted under Vista. Not sure how that played out in Win7 as I only installed it a couple of weeks ago on one of my laptops but I haven't used it for any length of time to speak of.

I had similar issues a few times in the past, whereby a program installed by me had no write access to its own sub-folders.

IF yours is indeed a similar issue then one solution you may want to try is changing the entire approach to installing programs. They will usually want to install to c:\program files. Under Vista I threw the idea away and instead I created a folder "programs" in the root of C drive. All programs that I install go there. Since the "Programs" folder had been installed by me (and not by the system) I fully own it, without any surprises from Microsoft.

Another, actually simpler, thing to try is to check if the destination folder/file is indeed Read only. If it is change the attributes as an admin of the machine.
                        In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.

Comment

Working...
                        X