X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linksys Router & IPhone

Who`s got a Linksys router and an Iphone and how did you connect both of them together by Wi-Fi as my Iphone keeps asking for a password which I don`t have.

Tony

Re: Linksys Router & IPhone

you need the password from the router. Read the router manual and it will tell you how to setup security and allow WiFi access for various devices.

I suggest you restrict access by MAC address as well as enabling security.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

If you don't know what the security key is, You need to log into the router with your browser. I can access mine at

http://192.168.1.1

default User Name: admin
      default Password: admin

For more detailed instructions...

This might be a good place to start

Comment

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
        If you don't know what the security key is, You need to log into the router with your browser. I can access mine at

http://192.168.1.1

default User Name: admin
        default Password: admin

For more detailed instructions...

This might be a good place to start
        Letter carrier my ***

O K I down loaded the info you directed me to and they say to press the reset button on my linksys router to set the password but I don`t want to muck up more than I have already, if I do press the reset buttom will that stop my connection to the net and all the settings because that is what stuffed up my iphone instead of fixing a doubling up of songs problem when senc to my computer I disconnected it and reset it and had to start scratch which I don`t want to again.

Tony

Comment

hitting the reset button on the router will restore it to factory defaults, so if you never messed with the settings, it shouldn't really change much. When you do hit reset though, it will take a minute or two for your connected devices to get back online.

As for setting the security features, it's possible that your iphone won't allow a connection to an unsecured network. It may also be requesting an iTunes password that is unrelated to your networking. Unless you live out in the middle of nowhere and don't need to worry about people sneaking on to your network, you should at minimum turn on WPA 2 security. Don't bother with the older encryptions, anyone smart enough to use Google can easily learn how to crack WEP encryption.

Measures such as filtering MAC addresses, or turning off SSID broadcast is somewhat of a double-edged sword. Both these measures aren't too difficult to defeat, MAC addresses can be captured by monitoring packet traffic between the router and a connected client, and with that known, it's possible to clone the MAC address allowing a hacker's machine to pretend it's the authorized client. As for the SSID broadcast disabling, this only keeps out unmotivated freeloaders since the SSID can be discovered by packet monitoring as well.

If you do enable these security settings, it could be regarded by some hackers that you have something worth protecting, and may want to break in just to see.

Since I don't know what kind of area you live in, it's hard to recommend how many additional security measures to enable. One measure that makes sense regardless of your neighborhood is to adjust your signal strength to provide coverage to as small an area as you need, not all routers have this capability though. It's a lot harder for a hacker to break into your network if he has to do it from your front doorstep.

Comment

Working...
          X