• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable or Dish TV?

Which do you have or which do you like better,

I have had both cable and dish,

I currently have Dish TV and I like it,

What about you guys?
    Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV
    New: Pump Repair MagazineNew: Pool & Spa Pump Repair Forums

Re: Cable or Dish TV?

I have Dish--not much choice. No cable available in the "boonies".

Comment

I have had both for about as long as I can remember. I have not had one problem with Dish in 18-years, my Cablevision/Time Warner always has problems. Originally I needed cable for Internet and local channels but I think I am ready to go Dish only.

Mark
      "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Ya - I love Dish, No problems either, Cable always had some kind of issues, Dish is simple, easy and always on.

Good Prices as well, cheaper then cable
        Help With Your Pool Or Spa Pump?►WeT HeaD Pump Repair ► Watch Me On YouTube: Pool & Spa Pump Repair TV

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
          I have had both for about as long as I can remember. I have not had one problem with Dish in 18-years, my Cablevision/Time Warner always has problems. Originally I needed cable for Internet and local channels but I think I am ready to go Dish only.

Mark
          What do you use for Internet?

Comment

My cable is through Time Warner Cable. I looked at Dish Network and whatever the other sat cable provider is. Problem was that I have 6 TVs, and couldn't hook them up without a bunch of converters, so it was going to cost a fortune.

With cable, four of the TVs are just hooked to cable and get the basic 40-50 channels, and the other two have DVR boxes and HD. Plus I now have my Internet through TWC/Roadrunner at less cost, higher speeds, and more reliability than I ever had with Centurytel DSL. I just added digital phone to my TWC service, too, so I never have to deal with Century again.

I couldn't do most of that with sat TV. I'm very pleased with my setup.

Price for basic digital cable (no premium channels like HBO), broadcast cable, HD, two DVRs, digital telephone with free nationwide long distance, and Roadrunner Turbo w/PowerBoost (18-23 kB/second d/l speeds) is $138/month. My telephone and slow DSL through Centurytel was about $90/month.
            Last edited by smorris; 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM.
            Steve
            www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

We have a dish and for the most part it is OK, really just 200 channels of crap to pick and choose from of which half will never be watched (latino, infomercial, music, etc. channels). The only time we loose service is when it rains really really hard.

I live on top of a big hill and have line of sight with the tv towers in town which are 25 miles away and with rabbit ears can pick up all of the local stations just as good as the dish, that would be about ten channels, will even pick up some of the cable channels but are fuzzy.

High speed internet and tele through the local phone company.

G3

Comment

We use Dish at home and have a spare dish to use while in the motor home.
                When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Originally posted by smorris View Post
                  My cable is through Time Warner Cable. I looked at Dish Network and whatever the other sat cable provider is. Problem was that I have 6 TVs, and couldn't hook them up without a bunch of converters, so it was going to cost a fortune.

With cable, four of the TVs are just hooked to cable and get the basic 40-50 channels, and the other two have DVR boxes and HD. Plus I now have my Internet through TWC/Roadrunner at less cost, higher speeds, and more reliability than I ever had with Centurytel DSL. I just added digital phone to my TWC service, too, so I never have to deal with Century again.

I couldn't do most of that with sat TV. I'm very pleased with my setup.

Price for basic digital cable (no premium channels like HBO), broadcast cable, HD, two DVRs, digital telephone with free nationwide long distance, and Roadrunner Turbo w/PowerBoost (18-23 kB/second d/l speeds) is $138/month. My telephone and slow DSL through Centurytel was about $90/month.
                  I've considered the switch to Satellite but it becomes costly and burdensome if you need to hookup multiple boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by the2js97 View Post
                    I've considered the switch to Satellite but it becomes costly and burdensome if you need to hookup multiple boxes.

Actually - They have these new boxes that work two Tvs and they lease them for a few bucks a month, 4 TVs is only like $12 extra, I think

But its not like the old days where you needed 4 boxes, you can do multiple rooms now with a single box,

Check it out
                    http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/dvr/default.aspx

Just thought I would share that

I used to love cable before I switched to Dish!

Comment

I'm pretty much stuck with time warner cable since it's the fastest internet option in my area. The prices are better with Dish, but I would then have to settle for slower upload/download and a separate DSL bill. Honestly though, all TV service providers are going crazy with all the bundles, packages and trying to offer us a better value by providing hundreds of channels all for "1 low monthly fee!" I will probably never tune into 90% of those hundreds of channels, so why should I pay for them? Even with basic cable selections I watch maybe 10 of the cable channels out of the provided 70. If there was a way I could only subscribe to History, Discovery, Food Network, TNT, TBS, and a handful of others, I'd gladly pay for what I actually use.

It seems the current grumblings on the blogs indicate that all service providers have rate increases in the works. If TWC tries it this year I will seriously consider dropping down to DSL connection speeds.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                        What do you use for Internet?
                        Cable modem with Road Runner (Time Warner)

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

in July we got rid of direct tv and went with ruko unlimited movies and netfix 3 movies out at a time. it's like $18 a month. we still get over the air local channels abc, nbc, cbs, pbs.

we could never find anything really on. we still watch just as much tv but now we get to watch what we want.
                          the only dumb question is the one that is not asked!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                            Cable modem with Road Runner (Time Warner)

Mark
                            Still gotta pony up to the "man" then.

Comment

I use clearwire for my internet works great !

Comment

Working...
                              X