Google Earth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth

I have had google earth for some time now and pay a yearly subscription of around $20.00 but notice when veiwing a particular area its three or for years old and am wondering does google ever update it maps to real time or is that an extra expence.

Tony

Re: Google Earth

I don't know about Google Earth, but plain Google Maps is far behind Mapquest in how new their maps are. I quit on google and go to mapquest lately.
    God Bless You Super Good!!!

Comment

As far as I know, Google earth updates itself for free, it pulls from the same databases as Google maps essentially. Not sure what all the barriers are to updating, but it's possible there are restrictions on how recent the satellite images that get used can be. While recent satellite images are handy for day to day use for average law abiding citizens, it really isn't vital. When it's available freely on the internet though, criminals and terrorists can put that kind of intel to use in their favor.

I'm not sure where Google gets all its satellite imagery, but if it comes from the US govt. it probably takes quite some time just to be deemed declassified, regardless of where they are images of.

Comment

I believe they did away with the subscriptions about a year ago. I used to have the $20 subscription too, but the last time it came due I got a message saying they were no longer going to offer it, maybe that changed.
        "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
        John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I've never subscribed, just used the free issue. How often do you think it should be upgraded? Also, I'm not sure if this is satillite imaging or just high-altitude aeronautical.

In my area, the photo's were updated sometime within the last two I believe. That's pretty fast for my use. There are also a lot of areas where high-resolution imaging hasn't taken place yet. I'd rather see a lot of that done, then have high population areas constantly updated.

I'm sure there's an awful lot about the process that I don't know... but it sure beats waiting the ten or twenty years that it used to take the Geological Survey team to update it's maps.

CWS

Comment

I have only had the free version,

but at first our area, was a real fuzzy image, (I am guessing Landsat), and now lately they have up the quality of the photos, but now are using the high-altitude aeronautical photos taken by the or for the (same as used by) the department of agriculture for there land measuring, with FSA, new photos were just taken of our area, but not up dated as of yet on Google, but there is a button on my latest down load that will show Historical and when the photo or satellite image was taken, (my guess is they use many different images depending on what and where).
            the clarity of the photos (in my area) is I can see the cattle in the pasture, but I have to know where to look and I can see them as dots, the photos are about 5 years old that they have up for my area,
            at one time there was a menu tab, that would give the info of when the photo was taken it would cover the area looked at with squares, and dates,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

[QUOTE=CWSmith;277703]How often do you think it should be upgraded?

At least every two years

Tony

Comment

It is very difficult to update all photo but I think google can because it is GOOGLEEE!!!
                rockwell sonicraft |rockwell sonicrafter|fein fmm blade |power tool|Fein top|tools

Comment

Yes I believe Google actively updates the service, although I am not speaking from personal experience.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkR View Post
                    Yes I believe Google actively updates the service, although I am not speaking from personal experience.
                    Welcome to this mad house we are all crazy here but how can you say Google actively updates when you don`t use it.

Tony

Comment

i think every 3-5 years depending on the location

mine, 17 45.176N 64 37.345W was updated about 3 years ago. i can tell because the original pic was just after we baught the house. the current image was after the spa was removed and some other things are different

BTW we bought the house about 8 years ago and i opened my doors 4 years ago. the van did not exist, for me, before May 2006.

steve
                      In the never ending struggle to keep the water flowing.... The Poo Poo Cowboy rides again!!!

Comment

Originally posted by stxrus View Post
                        i think every 3-5 years depending on the location

mine, 17 45.176N 64 37.345W was updated about 3 years ago. i can tell because the original pic was just after we baught the house. the current image was after the spa was removed and some other things are different

BTW we bought the house about 8 years ago and i opened my doors 4 years ago. the van did not exist, for me, before May 2006.

steve
                        Yes mine has not been updated since May 2006 I see when looking at other places in the world have been updated which makes goggle earth rubbish.

Tony

Comment

I'd bet a big part of NOT having the most up-to-date imagery
                          available to everyone online has to do with national security.

For what the average Joe wants to see an image that is a couple
                          years old should suffice. When a major disaster like Katrina or the
                          recent BP oil mess in the Gulf occurs they probably get current
                          imagery that has been analyzed by HSA before posting online.
                          "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I don't know much about google earth but I always use the google map which always update
                            Versa Tool blade fmm hd multi tool clock dremel multi max blade

Comment

Originally posted by giftzy View Post
                              I don't know much about google earth but I always use the google map which always update
                              Is it free or do you pay for it.

Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X