How Do I Use The Search Feature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Do I Use The Search Feature

What is the proper way to enter in a search formula in order not to see every single post that has at least one word of the search criteria? I tried to do a Search for threads dealing with pressure washer hose. I tried entering all of these ways and every time the results were far to general to do me any good.

1. Pressure Washer Hose
    2. "Pressure Washer Hose"
    3. +Pressure +Washer +Hose
    4. (Pressure Washer Hose)
    5. (+Pressure +Washer +Hose)

I tried both the Quick Search and the Advanced Search and got the same results in both. Is there a way to do a more specific type of search?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Re: How Do I Use The Search Feature

Anybody? Josh, you out there?

Comment

you could go to the advanced search and narrow down a date range or a user name. you could also throw in a specific word. or seach just for threads and not post.

dave, you've been here a long, long, time does joey need to help you too

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

rick, I tried all of the example searches I listed above in the Advanced Search and still came up with unsatisfactory results. I'm just looking for a way, if there is one, to narrow down a search when the search criteria is a bit more general than say a model number. I may have been here a long long time but I'm still a newbie's newbie when it comes to figuring out how to talk to my computer. Oh yeah, pass on to Joey that I'm all ears if she has any ideas.

Comment

Perhaps an example of what you are looking for would help.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post

Mark
            Well I don't know,
            This morning I was looking for our discussion on chinese drywall before I started a thread.

Lots of posts containing drywall.
            Lots of posts containing chinese

I tried going back using drywall and got burned out.

Comment

That's funny
              I just did Drywall+Chinese and found it.
              Duh

Comment

Mark
                You mean like the example I posted in my original post?

Comment

Dave

I too share your frustration with searching for things on here. I either get flooded out or the wrong things come back. I'm going to be reading all the posts of this thread and maybe I can learn better how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                    You mean like the example I posted in my original post?
                    No as in, is there a specific hose you are looking for or a specific use type hose. When you search in broad terms you will sometimes get way too many search results.

Mark

Comment

vBulletin search function does not seem to work the way other search engines do such as Google, Lycos, etc. , and maybe that is part of the problem for users. We (including me) tend to enter our search parameters in the style that we commonly use on Google or other search engines because that is what we are most familiar with.

For instance, on most search engines when you enter a phrase in double quotes, the search returns ONLY those hits which contain that exact character string, and nothing else.

vBulletin acts as if it treats each continuous string of characters (that is, a run of characters with no space) as a search keyword. Enclosing a phrase in double quotes has no meaning to vBulletin, nor does using the +, OR, NOT, or - logical in your search.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Once again Bob D. comes through with a very helpful answer.

So it would appear that unless you want to search for something very specific, like a model number or a single word, your search may list many threads that have nothing to do with what you may be looking for. If that's they way it is then that's fine but I doubt if I will be so quick to tell someone to use the Search feature in the future.

Comment

No as in, is there a specific hose you are looking for or a specific use type hose. When you search in broad terms you will sometimes get way too many search results.

Mark
                          Mark, when my search didn't work the way I thought it would I started this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
                            Mark, when my search didn't work the way I thought it would I started this thread.
                            By using the terms - pressure washer hose - I got 138 results (too much to read)

By using the terms - pressure washer hose replacement - I got 6 results including one you started in July 07.

By using the terms - pressure washer hose kink - I got 5 results but only one had to do with the washer hose.

The more information you put in your search the fewer results you will get. If you don't find what you want you can always take information out of your search but you will have more reading.

Mark

Comment

By using the terms - pressure washer hose - I got 138 results (too much to read)

By using the terms - pressure washer hose replacement - I got 6 results including one you started in July 07.

By using the terms - pressure washer hose kink - I got 5 results but only one had to do with the washer hose.

The more information you put in your search the fewer results you will get. If you don't find what you want you can always take information out of your search but you will have more reading.

Mark
                              Well now I'm really confused, which BTW is not that hard to do. So it seems that by adding that extra word or two the system will then only look for threads that have, in this case anyways, all 4 of the listed words. I guess that kinda makes sense but, to be honest, I always thought a search was supposed to look for all the subject words when they appear one after another. Obviously I was mistaken about that.

I thought that I had started a thread about this subject awhile ago but didn't remember that it was here. OK, so this year I will go out and buy a better hose and live happily ever after, I promise.

Thanks for your insight on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X