X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPad

The Kindle is Monochrome, the iPad displays 16 Million colors.

One point against the iPad is it's aspect ratio of 4:3 That was supposed to die away when FCC mandated that Televisions go digital. Televisions have a wide aspect ratio of 16:9 computers are typically 16:10

The ipad's resolution is 1024 X 768, in order for it to fit into my world, it needs to be 1280 X 800, 16:10

I have not gotten into Kindle or iBooks but I do subscribe to a few magazines through Zenio on my laptop, now there is an app for that.

Every day I see kids getting out of school struggling with their overloaded backpacks. all they should really need to carry is an iPad and a note pad.

I put together a home theater system. I have been looking for the ultimate remote control to operate all 5 components. The most popular one was this Logitech, but at $430 it is prohibitively expensive

Now, if Apple's iPad had an infra-red emitter and a remote control app, I would have jumped on the bandwagon. Just $70 extra and it could do so much more!

in my next home, I hope to see one of these iPads hanging -like a picture frame- on the wall, it could be used to monitor the security sensors, control some of the lights, program the HVAC and irrigation. I do all that right now with a Mini but it could be done more elegantly with an iPad.

Comment

iPad's aspect ratio os wrong for widescreen video, but correct for photograph and word processor documents. And imagine a tall skinny book reader in the 16:9 ratio. So if all you did was watch video, you'd be correct, but it is so much more, that the current ratio seems to me to be the better compromise.

Thread hijack

Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post
      The most popular one was this Logitech, but at $430 it is prohibitively expensive.
      Before you do that or something similar, think about what you do most with a remote; change volume and channels. And you do this by feel with the remote, because you know where the buttons are. But with the touch screen you have to wake it up and look for the buttons. I bought Logitech's Harmony One, and it is perfect! Controls almost everything in my home system except the Wii and PS2, because they are not infrared.
      Steve
      www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

[QUOTE=AFM;291499]
        Originally posted by cisco1138 View Post

Well I would like to thank you for the imput as I was under the impression after reading and looking at reviews that the ipad had no usb connectivity but evidently their wrong and if your right it changes everything and I will be buying one later this month when they come to Australia.

Tony
        Actually, the only use for the USB connectivity is for connecting to a computer, to charge or sync the iPad. The 30pin adapters are only used for transferring photos to the iPad from either directly from the camera or from SD cards. These have been out for years so people could upload their photos to their iPods and use it as a storage medium when they run out of card space. That was back when memory cards were still at maybe 2GB max.

Comment

I bought the new keyboard for the Ipad which allows for non-use of the touchscreen.

I plan on buying one of these Ipads when the 3G comes out because I like it better than my laptop, given the speed it can navigate without all those processes.

Recently bought the Iphone thinking the keyboard would work as well, it didn't.

At $70 it's a solid chunk of aluminum, very sturdy. That just came out last monday.

I want to use it solely for getting away from sitting at my desk.
          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

[QUOTE=cisco1138;291456]
            Originally posted by AFM View Post

The dongle on the left provides USB connectivity, the one on the right accepts memory cards used in digital photography. The iPad comes with a Dock connector to USB cable adaptor so you can connect to your computer.

In the box
            • iPad
            • Dock Connector to USB Cable
            • 10W USB Power Adapter
            • Documentation

That adaptor right there will allow me to upload pictures/video on the spot at all my outdoor events this year instead of waiting till the end of the evening to do so. Live baby, LIVE!!!
            Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by DUNBAR PLUMBING View Post

That adaptor right there will allow me to upload pictures/video on the spot at all my outdoor events this year instead of waiting till the end of the evening to do so. Live baby, LIVE!!!
              According to a friend of mine who is a programmer at Apple, his new connectivity kit not only allows him to upload photos and video from his camera to his iPad. It also allows an iPhone to be mounted to the iPad, and it will show up as a camera. So you can take photos on the iPhone and then view them on the iPad. iPhone OS 3.2, the latest OS which is what is currently available only in the iPad, has the capability to read RAW format photos, as well. Not just JPEG. This is what I shoot with my dSLR, so it will be great to be able to view the photos on a larger screen while I am at the photo location, instead of bringing them back home to look at on the desktop.

There are also various reports, unconfirmed, that a USB keyboard works with the connectivity kit, as well as other rumors. I'm sure 3rd party developers will find things that they can tap into with OS 3.2 that were not available on prior releases, and with the opened up API of OS 4.0 later this summer, even more possibilities arise.

All I know is that I use my 24" iMac less than half as much as I was a few weeks ago!
              Last edited by smorris; 04-27-2010, 08:13 AM. Reason: spelin
              Steve
              www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jerad View Post
                it is called rape. then it is sent to Steve,(secretly) to sell you apps and other stuff you really don't need.
                Delusional.

Comment

I purchased one of these last month to use for the business. So far, it works out great. I was going to wait on getting a tablet until Android 3.0 and the iPad 2 came out in a few months, but I decided to just get this thing now.

The customers that have seen me use it are impressed with it, and it has let me do a few things more efficiently so far. I've used it a few times to help people decide on what to use for a kitchen remodel. I can finally get away from carrying around a ton of different product catalogs in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
                    I purchased one of these last month to use for the business. So far, it works out great. I was going to wait on getting a tablet until Android 3.0 and the iPad 2 came out in a few months, but I decided to just get this thing now.

The customers that have seen me use it are impressed with it, and it has let me do a few things more efficiently so far. I've used it a few times to help people decide on what to use for a kitchen remodel. I can finally get away from carrying around a ton of different product catalogs in the truck.
                    Sounds like it's really simplified your life. How about protection for that thing? Using some kind of case?
                    Ideal Plumbing

Comment

i'm buying the first tablet that i can find that runs quickbooks. do you ise your's for invoicing or billing?

Comment

Working...
                      X