cad software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cad software

I am interested in purchasing some Cad software, does anyone have any suggestions?

Here's two of my favorites....
    Check the Specs on the standard addition.

http://www.cadopia.com/default.asp

http://www.sketchup.com/

Greg

Comment

which one do you think would be easier to design furniture? sketch up? also, are there programs that are more geared toward woodworking? that might be able to show you different kinds of woods, grains, etc?

Comment

I'd consider Autodsys IntelliCAD Pro if you want something that is as close to AutoCAD 2004 as you can get for 1/10 the price. For even less you can get the basic version that does 2D.

I was taking a course on using AutoCAD last year and couldn't afford the high price of AutoCAD so I looked around and found IntelliCAD. Looks and works like AutoCAD, 98% of commands are the same, reads/writes in AutoCAD file format, handles blocks and does 3D modeling.

http://www.autodsys.com/

Comment

IMO the deciding factor will be the type of drawings you intend to do. If you are simply trying to replace pencil and paper, and will be doing "flat" 2-Dimensional top side front views, you don't need to spend alot of money. 3-D on the other hand, will require more extensive testing of the product. Drawing in 3-D is not difficult, however some products are alittle cumbersome in how you switch from drawing planes in XYZ to achieve the desired results.

Greg

Comment

I use Turbo Cad for my 2d layout and Sketch Up form when I'm figuring stuff out and presenting it to a customer. But they are totally different, and used for different things. I guess it all depends on how much you want to spend and how much experience you have with CAD software and computers. Turbo Cad was easy for me to learn because I use Alpha Cam at my real jod all the time, I got version 9 at Best Buy for 100.00$. Sketch Up is much more of an investment, for my side business I purchased it for 495.00$ online. But its really a great tool to work through how a project will look in 3d space, and it gives the customer a great view of what I'm making for them, but its not really cad.

Hope this helps,

Mike
            I\'ve been watching the Matrix a little too much

Comment

I'm a retired Technical Illustrator. I use Corel Draw. It is NOT a CAD program. It is a fairly decent program with which to layout 2-D, scale, dimension, and even pivot an object or assembly to check the interaction with other parts of your design. (This is NOT 3-D, but in making toys and jigs, the ability to pivot from a point works well for me.)

I primarily choose this product because it worked the way I used to work on the drawing board. The early CAD-type programs that I had tried required data to be entered as distance from a center-point. As an illustrator, that was much too cumbersome.

Corel Draw and it's cousin, Corel Designer (used to be Micrografx) seem to work well for my use. Layout is natural (from my point of view) and you can render color, shadow, perspective, and even patterns, like woodtones, etc.

Not being 3-D may be a disadvantage, but I've yet to find a 3-D package that is easy and I learned long ago how to draw in perspective and isometric. Definitly can't rotate anything, as in 3D, but I can't justify the cost or really have the need. Still, if one of you have some suggestions that are not too expensive, it might be worth a try.

CWS

Comment

I trained in AutoCAD but couldn’t justify the purchase price even for AutoCAD LT.

One of the key concepts I learned is the need to create precision, air-tight drawings. You can’t just eyeball the intersection of two lines; you need to utilize object snap and trim to ensure the precision of the drawing.

I now use AutoSketch v9, the only disappointment I have with it is the ability to control the leaders on the Dimension lines. With AutoCAD you have very precise control over the offset of the Dimension line from the drawing, the offset of the leader line from the drawing, and the length of the leader lines beyond the Dimension line.

I’ve been using AutoSketch for 6 months and have yet to figure out how to get the Dimension lines to draw where I want them the first time. I spend more time positioning the Dimension lines and dimension leader lines then in doing the actual drawing. With AutoCAD this is a simple, click-click-click done task. With AutoSketch v9 it’s a whole lot of trial and error, mostly a lot of errors. The Dimension line control seems to have a mind of its own.

I’d be interested in hearing how other drawing software handles the ability to position dimension lines.

Comment

Way out of the range of CAD packages that you are looking for, but here's what we get to design your RIDGID professional pipe working tools with. This is a screen copy from Solid Edge.

Steve
                  www.MorrisGarage.com

Comment

I've started to get into eCabinet systems:
                    http://www.ecabinetsystems.com/index.html

Mostly because it's free and if you're into general estimating, it seems to fit the bill nicely. I don't have the time on it to give you any sort of review, but for $0 you can check it out yourself.
                    My shop:
                    Ridgid TS2424 w/Forrest WWII
                    Incra TSIII w/Wonderfence & rt. side table
                    Old Shopmaster 14" bandsaw
                    Sunhill 6" Jointer
                    DW708 SCMS w/Forrest Chopmaster
                    Delta Shopmaster drillpress
                    Incra Router Lift
                    Pro Ftr guides
                    2 Grrrippers & 2 GripTites
                    CMJ splitter
                    10 fingers