X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Laptop Internet

Wondering what companies people use for mobile internet on a laptop?

Price Ranges?

Service?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Mobile Laptop Internet

You need to find out which company has the best coverage in your area, and then check what they charge for a USB stick to go in the laptop.

Personally, I think they are all overpriced, and it will only get worse as time goes on.

Comment

I wonder If a guy could just plugin his smartphone(with internet) and work the internet on his laptop through it.

Comment

That's how I do it. It works, but it's not as convenient as using a dedicated USB stick. It is cheaper though.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
          I wonder If a guy could just plugin his smartphone(with internet) and work the internet on his laptop through it.
          That how I do it with the Verizon data plan. 5GB for about $60/month. I use a tethering program called PDAnet. It's pretty good speed for just surfing but uploading/downloading can be slow sometimes. I save that for the ride home.

Comment

I also use tethering with my iPhone 4, and it works ok. It seems a little slower than the dedicated Verizon USB stick that I used to have.

Comment

Get yourself a smart phone if you don't already have one. Go to the Market and get the following program PDaNet. Load it on your Smart Phone. Then go online with your laptop and download the companion driver for PDaNet. Install the software.

When you have it all dialed in you need only turn on the software on your laptop, then plug in your Smart Phone vie usb and voilĂ*, internet access anywhere you have cell service.

If you have a limited data plan make sure you watch your usage. If you have unlimited like Sprints service, enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                Supposedly you need to "buy" a tethering package in order to do that.

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                Get yourself a smart phone if you don't already have one. Go to the Market and get the following program PDaNet. Load it on your Smart Phone. Then go online with your laptop and download the companion driver for PDaNet. Install the software.

When you have it all dialed in you need only turn on the software on your laptop, then plug in your Smart Phone vie usb and voilĂ*, internet access anywhere you have cell service.

If you have a limited data plan make sure you watch your usage. If you have unlimited like Sprints service, enjoy!

For webpages, most bandwidth limitations are easy to stay under, but with video and music streaming, thats where the dollars signs come in.

Me, I am lazy and cheap. I sit in either in or outside of a Mcdonalds, Safeway, Starbucks or any other establishment with an (free) unlocked signal to get my WIFI for free. I don't steal internet from unsecured routers in residences, that is bad ju-ju.
                We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

SPRINT, think its $60 a month for broadband card, emailing customer as soon as the job is done when i get in the van..i also have emails on the smartphone which are faster to get when doing an actual job and i am not on my comp in the van
                  Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Use to carry my laptop in the truck.Had the sprint wireless stick .Service cost me as much as my cell service.And the thought of a smash and grab worried me sick..Computer stays home in the bat cave now.It's much safer and cooler
                    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                    X