X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big?

How big can you go with a computer screen?

I can find all of the Apple Displays and PC base large format desktop screens.

But can you go with an HDTV now? Get the PC display up to 4' or better? Right refresh rates, Hz, latency, etc. etc.?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: How Big?

The question you have to ask yourself is how big do you want to go?

Almost all modern video cards have HDMI outputs on them, and quite a few modern TVs and receivers also have DVI inputs on them. That means that the sky is the limit as far as size. Want to hook the computer up to your 60" plasma TV in the living room? No problem. Maybe you want to play some computer games on that 110" projector screen you have in the basement. Also no problem.

Now the catch is what resolution do you want to run your stuff at? Consumer electronics are stuck at 1080P right now, and probably will be for at least a few more years. So hooking up to the TV or projector like I was talking about will get you a bigger picture, but it won't get you more resolution.

To get more resolution (or it might be easier to think of it as desktop space), you will have to get a bigger monitor, or multiple monitors. Computer monitors pretty much top out at 30" displays, usually running a resolution of 2560 x 1600. That gives you a lot more screen real estate then a monitor running at 1080P (1920 x 1080) resolution. But those monitors usually start at $1000. I've seen you talk about spending money, so I don't think you will be rushing out to buy some 30" monitors.

Comment

Anyone got a link for a real big magnifying glass?

J.C.

Comment

What size monitor do you want to work with? I find for most people, a 24" computer monitor is usually big enough. You can get some ok ones for under $200.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevada plumber View Post
          What size monitor do you want to work with? I find for most people, a 24" computer monitor is usually big enough. You can get some ok ones for under $200.
          Honestly, I've looked at most of them. Gateway & Dell have some of the best size to cost ratio ones. I was entertaining the idea of a much larger one (HDTV) if possible. But I would want similar performance. So, might have to wait.

J.C.
          Last edited by BobsPlumbing; 06-10-2011, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Jumbo tron
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I like the jumbo tron idea. About 4 years ago when i was still using windows and a PC i had it hooked up to a 54" Plasma in my office. I put a desk that had adjustable height in front of me and sat on a couch. The screen was about 8' away. I did this cause i was spending tons of time in the office and wanted to be comfy while looking at a computer all day. It worked out very nicely. When going that large from that distance i did notice that the quality of the image was a little more grainy. I think your viewing distance is key on screen size. I only use my macbook now and dont even touch a desktop anymore. In this case, it may be true what some guys believe .... size doesn't matter, it's how you use it.

Comment

95% of my post are from my acer 8.1'' netbook

some from my 12'' netbook.

and some from my 3'' smartphone

we have tons of digital billboards and town and from afar they look great. but from up close they are all dots/ pixels.

i've tried the big screen in the room, but joey was not happy.

rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

My i-mac is 24" so I can see all the silly things people have to say on here...lol

Comment

Working...
                  X