X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texting?

Does texting really help you in your business?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Texting?

well if i know someone is in a meeting and will have their phone off sending a text with a message can be easier than a voice mail, especially if there is information they would need to write down like an order number or part number. you can put all that in a voicemail yes but how many times have you had to replay a message to copy down the phone number or other such info? Texting works great in those instances. Plus I can attach a pic from the camera to a text message, not so easy to do with a voicemail.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Helps me all the time when driving I'll have home owner/ business owner txt address so idont crash trying to write.also good for part # s then I forward to rep and hav in phone for reference lator
      Last edited by LThompson; 07-24-2011, 04:11 PM. Reason: More

Comment

I love it, quick, easy, and on my phone, its retained so I have a reference to go back on in case I or who I sent/received forgets. Another reason I love using email for business conversations. It's awesome when you can go back to the conversation in the case of a mind fart.

Comment

being 1 man i'll have customers send me a text and or photo of the valve/ problem so i can be prepared when i show up. i'll already have the parts and know the time to alot.

this only works with the younger crowd.

texting and email are a great way to leave me a message i can get 24/7 without waking me.

skype is starting to work with apple and soon with newer droid front facing cameras.

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

I was against it, but my girlfriend used it alot and that was her primary means of communication. Once she got me on board now I use it as a secondary means of communication, the phone being used for primary scheduling.
            We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

Comment

Most of the time texting for me is a pain in the as*. My phone doesn't have a keyboard.My wife finally got it when I kept bitc*ing at her for texting me. I showed her my phone and then the light bulb came on...And then there are the customers that love to text ..I just say call me..One customer texted me to see if we were still on for tomorrow ..I didn't even recognize his number ..So I said sure I'll be there at 4am ..he texted back to bring a flashlight..When I called the number to find out who the hell it was we both had a good laugh
              ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                being 1 man i'll have customers send me a text and or photo of the valve/ problem so i can be prepared when i show up. i'll already have the parts and know the time to alot.

this only works with the younger crowd.

rick.
                I can't tell you number times I have asked a customer to email or text a pic of the problem and we get this answer: "Can you wait until I pick my kid up from school...."

Comment

First of the year I turned in all our Nextel Phones and got HTC Evo's for everyone. One of the great features is the ability to push one app button on the phone and have it create a text message.

Example: Push the button and the app. window comes up. You say, "Send text to so&so mobile, "Just wanted to let you know I am running late." (you stop speaking) after a few seconds of silence it pops up the text msg. you just dictated so you can review it before sending. Takes some getting used to, as it learns your voice etc... but in the end its a great tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Watersurgeon View Post
                    First of the year I turned in all our Nextel Phones and got HTC Evo's for everyone. One of the great features is the ability to push one app button on the phone and have it create a text message.

Example: Push the button and the app. window comes up. You say, "Send text to so&so mobile, "Just wanted to let you know I am running late." (you stop speaking) after a few seconds of silence it pops up the text msg. you just dictated so you can review it before sending. Takes some getting used to, as it learns your voice etc... but in the end its a great tool.

yup it works but background noise can really make it a PITA to get a msg out. SOmetimes just driving down a bumpy road is enough to give it headaches, that could be in part to using the bluetooth handsfree though while in the truck.

I have the EVO on Sprint and my previous smartphone, the HTC Touch Pro was WAY, WAY better at acceptring voice commands for dialing, taking voice memos, transcribing to text, searching, opening an app from the program list, etc than the HTC EVO 4G is.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

No, customers know they can email us and we will email back asap. These days most of our customers have smart phones, so txt msg is as fast as an email these days
                      Plumber Raleigh -new website
                      sigpic

Comment

Im a texting freak. I use it just as rick does, to have customers email me their issues, valves, etc. saves time and I know how much time to schedule for a job.

Downside, people are less scared to text, so when your having that sunday time with your family, be prepared to answer questions! People used to text me at all hours and days asking how much certain projects costed, that gets annoying and I think, a little rude
                        Plumber Raleigh,Plumber Cary,Plumber Apex ,Plumber Apex, Plumber Morrisville,Plumber Durham, ,Plumber Holly Springs,Plumber Chapel Hill,Sump Pump Raleigh

Comment

Use it and e-mail all the time with my commercial accounts.
                          Ron Hasil Lic #058-160417
                          A-Archer Sewer & Plumbing specializing in:
                          Tankless Water Heaters | Drain and Sewer Cleaning
                          Sump and Ejector Pumps | Backflow RPZ Testing

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                            yup it works but background noise can really make it a PITA to get a msg out. Sometimes just driving down a bumpy road is enough to give it headaches, that could be in part to using the bluetooth handsfree though while in the truck.

I have the EVO on Sprint and my previous smart phone, the HTC Touch Pro was WAY, WAY better at acceptring voice commands for dialing, taking voice memos, transcribing to text, searching, opening an app from the program list, etc than the HTC EVO 4G is.
                            Bob, I had to do a follow up on your comment about the background noise.

I did the latest Gingerbread 2.3.3 update and now my phone has turned into a piece of "s" with regards to background noise. I have told everyone else in the company not to update.

Apparently this software update by Google, (android software) has created an issue with the mic on the phones sensitivity. The best way to describe it is if the ambient noise reaches a certain point the mic will no longer recognize voice commands. I spent some time over the weekend researching this on the net and found hundreds of blog posts related to this problem.

The rule of thumb for most people is if they are driving over 20 mph, there is enough ambient noise to cause the phone voice command not to work.

Take a minute and call up Sprint Customer Service and bitchh. Here are some reference blogs you can look at and use when you call them up.

2.3 Voice search or text not working - Page 2 - Android Forums

Sprint Community: HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread Broke Voice to...

Comment

Thanks for that report on Gingerbread. I unfortunately did the 'upgrade' too to my EVO and now thet you mention it that's about the time I started noticing the trouble with voice commands. It never was as good as the HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile6 but it got worse after the upgrade to Gingerbread. If I could go back to FRYO I would but I don't think its possible.

I will make a call about it though. Thanks again.
                              ---------------
                              ---------------
                              ---------
                              ---------

Comment

Working...
                              X