Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Up In Smoke Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Up In Smoke

    Well almost, another hour maybe.

    I got up this morning to check the WX on the NHC website and no connection!

    Darn Irene must have taken out the lines I thought. So I went down to the ham shack/computer room to see what's up. Found one of my UPSs off. I figured it might have tripped off one of those times when the lights flickered last night. Tried to reset it and wouldn't power up. I noticed when I touched the case that it seemed warm. I felt the back of the case and it was hot, so hot you could not keep your hand on it for more than a few seconds. Hotter than a fresh cup of coffee for sure and NOT normal.

    Pulled the plug and disconnected everything from the UPS. Took it to the bench and opened it up and found the battery was going supernova on me. The case was swelled up on one side and made it difficult to remove. When I got it out I found the case was split in one corner. The battery remained warm even after removing from the UPS. I set it outside just in case but not sure if the battery will cool down or if internally there is a runaway chemical reaction going on that will lead to something more than an overheated battery. Not wanting to have a fire in the house I set it outside away from the house in a 5 gal bucket in the rain coming down from Irene. I'll check on it in a while and see if its cooled down.

    Anyone else had one of those gel cell batterys go postal on you?
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

  • #2
    Re: Up In Smoke

    Damn, you don't have one of those new Japanese nuclear batteries do you? Sounds like you're in the middle of a meltdown... keep those plates submerged. Irene should be helpful in this instance.

    Seriously, I've never seen that happen. I wonder if the regulator failed and caused the battery to over charge or whether it was just the batteries time? How old was it?

    I've never used a UPS on my computer (or whatever). I just keep a deep-cycle lead-acid battery for back up of the radio equipment and use a float charger for it's maintenance. I hope the battery is the only thing damaged with your UPS system.

    Good luck,

    CWS

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Up In Smoke

      I have never had a battery swell like your describing. Sounds like the unit got hit with a Surge failed to clamp and then failed to protect itself, shorted out the electronics and now it can't regulate the battery recharge.

      I have been using UPS for some fifteen (+) years. My experiences with them. (1) they last between 3 - 5 years tops. (2) finding replacement batteries is a bitchh, because they keep changing the design of them. MicroCenter.com is a good source for batteries.

      I have never trusted these units for surge protection. Seriously you have to look at the fact that they are designed to produce 110 volts of continuous power on the backside of the 110v inlet. What happens when the electronics between the two gets fried? I always plug them into a top of the line surge outlet. When your looking at several hundred dollars for a top of the line unit, vs. $40.00 for a top of the line surge protector, its the old saying "an ounce of prevention......"

      We just had one go out on PBX Phone system the other day. When I tried to contact the company to get some idea on diagnostics. No response on several requests. I opted to not replace the batteries, which would have run around $200.00. So I am in the process of researching a new unit. Figured it would be cheaper to buy new, get the latest technology.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Up In Smoke

        Well I had checked the battery an hour later and it had cooled off OK.
        Don't have another bettery to plug in today but I have a couple I think the same size
        so will try it out when I get a replacement over here. I've UPSs on my equipment for
        many years and never ahd one do this. I've seen the regulator fried and the charge voltage
        then not be regulated and cook a battery but not had the battery swell up like this one did.

        Maybe it had been on its way out for a while, I don't remember when I changed the battery last and
        didn't find a date written on it with a Sharpie® which is what I usually do with stuff like this.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Up In Smoke

          I cheated and hooked an AGM battery up to the UPS for my fishtank. It was nice having the pump run for several hours instead of several minutes. I would let the UPS float charge it, but if I was around after a power outage, I would charge the battery separately. The UPS eventually died, but I got 3 years out of it in its last configuration, and it was 4 years old when I got it.

          The larger UPS have standard batteries that you can easily find for $25-40 each depending on its size, but still new batteries seem like they are almost half the cost of a new unit.
          We don't have preventative maintenance around here, we have CRISIS MANAGEMENT!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Up In Smoke

            Originally posted by masterbeavis View Post
            I cheated and hooked an AGM battery up to the UPS for my fishtank. It was nice having the pump run for several hours instead of several minutes. I would let the UPS float charge it, but if I was around after a power outage, I would charge the battery separately. The UPS eventually died, but I got 3 years out of it in its last configuration, and it was 4 years old when I got it.

            The larger UPS have standard batteries that you can easily find for $25-40 each depending on its size, but still new batteries seem like they are almost half the cost of a new unit.
            I did the same with one my older UPSs, put a big battery on it and it would run for hours.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Up In Smoke

              I did that with an ancient server room UPS that used four 6v lead-acid batteries. Just happened to have a couple of 12v deep-cycle marine batteries from my tournament boat handy.
              Bigtime ugly mess, but damn, would it go.
              "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

              Comment

              Working...
              X