X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP to 7

XP crashed so Ihad to upgrade to 7 ..New learning curve..Several issues..I cannot run my speaker system and I have to buy/install Word and other document to open all my saved files..Thank God I was using the maxtor external hard drive ..Any suggestions greatly appreciated
    Last edited by OLD1; 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM.
    ''Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Benjamin Franklin

Re: Windows XP to 7

Originally posted by OLD1 View Post
    ... I have to buy/install Word and other document to open all my saved file.
    No, not unless you just want to.
    Libre Office Suite is free and compatible...
    LibreOffice Productivity Suite Download ยป LibreOffice
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Thanks ..trying to get the speakers working still

Comment

I'm confused. What programs were you using, (other then XP) that you need to repurchase. You should be able to load all those programs into 7 with no issues.

Comment

Office , outlook, etc..I don't have the cd's they were loaners..I lost everything and the only thing I was able to save was on an external hard drive..Trust me I'm no computer guy. All I know is I am happy just to be up and running right now..Just need to fine tune things now

Comment

Office , outlook, etc..I don't have the cd's they were loaners..I lost everything and the only thing I was able to save was on an external hard drive..Trust me I'm no computer guy. All I know is I am happy just to be up and running right now..Just need to fine tune things now
            Here is a couple of places to buy software fairly cheap. I have used them all. If you buy from them make sure its not educational, unless you know how to get the license,

Amazon.com for starters.

Buy Discount Cheap Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Full Retail Version (Promotional Label) - Activates on 2 Computers

Heads up on the above link: Promo labels are not bad, they are generally give aways by Microsoft and are perfectly legal to use. In the 90's when COMDEX, (computer convention in Vegas) was still around you could walk the convention floor and gather hundreds of free software from varies manufactures.

Buy Office 2010 Professional Plus Retail Box, 79P-03734#
            Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-30-2011, 10:38 PM.

Comment

XP crashed so Ihad to upgrade to 7 ..New learning curve..Several issues..I cannot run my speaker system and I have to buy/install Word and other document to open all my saved files..Thank God I was using the maxtor external hard drive ..Any suggestions greatly appreciated
              Did you buy a new computer with Windows 7 basic or ultimate ( which has an XP mode) preinstalled or did you upgrade your existing computer from XP to windows 7 which is asking for problems did you go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/com...s/default.aspx which will tell you which programs are compatible with windows 7
              I fell for this trap of upgrading from one version to another and never again I keep a computer for around four years and when I buy a new one I install the lastest new windows operating system and make sure I always have the original windows programs as buying cheap when a computer is a vary important part of one life and business is not worth it.

Tony

Comment

Update , Installed Microsoft Office , home and business 2010 ..Everything came up roses..Outlook is retrieving emails ..Do not like it as well as the older version I had on XP though..Oh well atleast I am back in action..I still need to fine tune things a bit and get use to the new system..I need to get my HP 7210xi back up and running( I can print but still need to scan etc.) and my speaker system back up and running as well..

Comment

Update. Everything is back with a couple exceptions.HP has to send the software for my all in one.Was only $10. Older model and could not find drivers/software online.. The printer is working but cannot access the scan unless I do it from the glass manually..No biggie.Also I cannot seenm to find the setting for turning the speaker off on the laptop and getting my desktop speaker system to work..Other than that so far so good.

Comment

Here is a couple of places to buy software fairly cheap. I have used them all. If you buy from them make sure its not educational, unless you know how to get the license,

Amazon.com for starters.

Buy Discount Cheap Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Full Retail Version (Promotional Label) - Activates on 2 Computers

Heads up on the above link: Promo labels are not bad, they are generally give aways by Microsoft and are perfectly legal to use. In the 90's when san diego propane delivery COMDEX, (computer convention in Vegas) was still around you could walk the convention floor and gather hundreds of free software from varies manufactures.

Buy Office 2010 Professional Plus Retail Box, 79P-03734#
                    Last edited by Watersurgeon; 08-30-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Did you buy a new computer with Windows 7 basic or ultimate ( which has an XP mode) preinstalled or did you upgrade your existing computer from XP to windows 7 which is asking for problems did you go to which will tell you which programs are compatible with windows 7
                    I fell for this trap of upgrading from one version to another and never again I keep a computer for around four years and when I buy a new one I install the lastest new windows operating system and make sure I always have the original windows programs as buying cheap when a computer is a vary important part of one life and business is not worth it.

Tony
                    Is there still some things that you are missing? I might be able to assist with this...
                    Last edited by Socal John; 01-16-2012, 12:29 AM.

Comment

There are a number of options you could get to address your document needs, most of them free. Open Office is a good option actually though you have to remember that it will be a little different as to how Word does it.

XP and windows 7 is very much similar to each other, with the interface only the biggest different I can come to think of. Though how the items and settings are grouped changed, you can still navigate your way around it with ease.

Comment

You can always buy a mac and never have to worry about crashing, drivers, etc. ever again.

Comment

Open Office is a good for documents. Foxit Reader best for PDF. And all it's free

Comment

Windows XP is very popular windows and every body have this windows in his computer it is as a general windows in every body's computer but the Windows 7 is taking this place now and become very famous in very short time...
                            Emcee Services Singapore

Comment

you could have switched to linux and saved yourself all the hassle
                              99 % of all linux distros are free
                              the software and apps are free.
                              nearly zero problems with viruses or spyware
                              no need to defrag. far more secure.
                              but it takes a little more patience to get used to
                              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X