X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipod Conquered!

My daughters have owned ipods for years and my wife has had an ipod touch a couple of years. I never learned much about them and the girls made the whole process of uploading music seem a tricky sort of thing. I repeatedly asked them if video could be uploaded to their mom's ipod touch but they never showed us how. A month or so ago my younger daughter got the iphone and passed her 32gb ipod touch along to me. Wow! I never knew how much I was missing! I have sinced learned how to download videos from Youtube and have over 150 or 5 plus hours of music videos on it.

The little screen of the ipod touch is big enough for when I walk on a treadmill and it sure makes the time go by. Previous to having the ipod, I was burning the youtube videos onto DVDs for use in my 9" Sony DVD player. The ipod process allows me many times more memory or room for videos.Frank

Re: Ipod Conquered!

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    My daughters have owned ipods for years and my wife has had an ipod touch a couple of years. I never learned much about them and the girls made the whole process of uploading music seem a tricky sort of thing. I repeatedly asked them if video could be uploaded to their mom's ipod touch but they never showed us how. A month or so ago my younger daughter got the iphone and passed her 32gb ipod touch along to me. Wow! I never knew how much I was missing! I have sinced learned how to download videos from Youtube and have over 150 or 5 plus hours of music videos on it.

The little screen of the ipod touch is big enough for when I walk on a treadmill and it sure makes the time go by. Previous to having the ipod, I was burning the youtube videos onto DVDs for use in my 9" Sony DVD player. The ipod process allows me many times more memory or room for videos.Frank
    Is this the same guy who said" Ban the Apple" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

Next time I see steve Jobs, I'll tell Him thanks from FRANK !
      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

I cannot criticize the technology of these electronic devices or the entertainment and practical uses they provide, however, I firmly stand by my "Ban the Apple" thread! Families, mine included have spent far too much money on these and similar products. The fact that they require repurchasing is great for Apple and it's shareholders, but create a bottomless financial pit for owners.

I believe there is a big difference between the affordablilty of the entertainment or distraction of these things and the practical advantages they provide. The masses demand access to everything but cannot foot the bill. I see a similarity between all this costly electronics for kids who use it in place of learning, sports, work, real social interaction and the evolution of credit cards. There was a time when credit cards were primarily used by business people as a convenience in place of carry large sums of cash. Today we have people who can ill afford to have such buying power, abusing this system. We have credit cards extended to college age kids who are not properly prepared for the responsibile use or future financial burden they require.

Please be clear, my problem with Apple products, digital cameras, flat screen tv's and the rest of it is not that I hate technology or what it provides. I object to the mindset that just because these things are availble to the masses, that the masses must have them regardless of their cost or impact on our economy. Put the toys down and use your brains to do the math, in the last forty or so years we have gone from hard wired telephones, film cameras, and transistor radios, to costly laptop computers, cell phones, digital cameras, flat screen tvs and more. We all agree that these advancements are welcomed and appreciated, but I maintain that they are not affordable to the masses.

Tomorrow, I could go out and buy a forty thousand dollar care which would require a massive shift in my finances. I consciously choose to drive a fourteen year old car because I understand the ramifications of irresponsible spending. We all make individual choices regarding what we want, and what we can afford, or are willing to spend. Considering where consumer debt is at and where it is headed, more people need to make better ,or harder choices. Frank

Comment

Frank, not vey good logic. You could say ban the auto (horses are good enough or better still--walk), ban the gun, ban the telephone, ban the microwave,etc. " the masses can't afford them". Where do you draw the line? Besides that, if you start banning all of that , look at the unemployment you would create.

Comment

Originally posted by Pipestone Kid View Post
            Frank, not vey good logic. You could say ban the auto (horses are good enough or better still--walk), ban the gun, ban the telephone, ban the microwave,etc. " the masses can't afford them". Where do you draw the line? Besides that, if you start banning all of that , look at the unemployment you would create.
            Kid, do you think it's more logical to have so many people deep in credit card debt, spending money they don't have and can't pay back for items they could do without? Cell phones are a great thing if people don't talk or text while driving, but economically smart phones cost me another $40 a month. Where's the logic behind shifting close to $500 more a year per cell phone just to have all the bells and whistles?
            Is your argument really based on logic or desire? Did you read my post when I talked of buying a new car which I really could not afford?
            Our economy including personal finances deserve more scrutiny. We don't have to revert back to the stoneage in order to be more responsible.

Unemployment is a serious thing but we can't say that all jobs are justified by the means in which they are created. Should we encourage more people to be unhealthy so there are more jobs in the healthcare industry? Of course not. Should forward thinking people consider growing industries that enrich or society rather than deplete it's wealth? In my opinion that would be a good idea.

I'll tell you where I would draw some lines. Caps on individual credit card debt, industry standards on electronics requiring affordable and servicable products. I would draw a line where necessary to protect consumer from the disadvantage they are under from a very powerful advertising industry. Logic tells me far too many consumer products are poorly made, possibly on purpose. That reality is weakening our economy. Do you understand the shift in a families finances due to all these products? Like I posted, we went from hard wired telephones, tv's and transistor radios to an explosion of costly consumer goods. Logically, we cannot stay on this course of spending.

Comment

[
              Is your argument really based on logic or desire?

90% of Everything in American life is based on desire, i love my ipod! I have about 3 thousand songs on mine. Ive listened to songs i havnt heard in 20 years! Just discovered it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
                [
                Is your argument really based on logic or desire?

90% of Everything in American life is based on desire, i love my ipod! I have about 3 thousand songs on mine. Ive listened to songs i havnt heard in 20 years! Just discovered it as well.
                I completely understand the desire to own these electronics. The music and videos I'm able to enjoy and download bring hours of entertainment. I believe my argument involves logic because many individuals and families cannot afford the number of these items they purchase and repurchase often with a credit card that is not always paid off. Year ago before all these things existed, folks would treat themselves to a movie, maybe a new radio or home stereo. We did not have the frequent opportunity to get into unrecoverable debt. You got your kid a new baseball glove, rollerskates, a bicycle or something of similar value on a birthday or holiday. Now families are looking at electronics in the $500 plus range with monthy access charges. The shift in our personal finances to pay for all these things is considerable and in my opinion not affordable. I'm not suggesting they are without practical or entertainment value.

I think we need to be more responsible as adults and parents by considering the item to be purchased and the method of payment. Maybe hold off until a good part of the cost has been saved in cash, or in the case of a child earned through chores. Temper our desire and our children's desire for instant gratification with the understanding that a bill comes due for our spending behavior. Just because these things are availble does not mean they are affordable and everyone is entitled to own them. Frank

Comment

Working...
                X