X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloading Youtube Stuff

I enjoy downloading mp3 music from Youtube for my personal use. I use a free program, but it must be updated occassionally as Youtube changes their video format from time to time. If anyone is interested in the process just private message me. Frank

Re: Downloading Youtube Stuff

Frank, I'm really not trying to sound judgmental - you're an adult and can make your own decisions - but the Bible I read makes no distinction between petty theft and grand larceny. Music I want is usually purchased via iTunes or Amazon, with an occasional Google Play deal here and there. And there's plenty of royaly-free tracks available for legitimate free download as well.
    "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

I do make my own decisions and distinctions based on changing times and technology. Years ago I did not have to pay a monthly bill to watch tv, then cable started. I used to pay for cable and pay movie channels and be able to record them on my vcr to be watched at my convenience, but they put a stop to that! The government stopped analog broadcast of tv and gummed up the works. I can still borrow music cd's from the library and copy songs for my own use. . In general I feel like I'm being squezed by regulations, squeezed at the pump and in stores. If the music is on Youtube to be listened to, then I don't consider myself a criminal for recording to be listened to at a later time. I can only hope God won't send me to hell for leading a decent life, while saving music made available for free to be listened to when I'm good and ready. I don't steal from stores, businesses, or the government. Recording artists can choose to have their music removed from Youtube. There are also many other instructional, educational and entertaining videos that can be enjoyed for personal use and not for profit by certain technology. You may not be trying to sound judgemental, but as humans that is exactly what we do to assess people and situations. I apologize if you think of me as a criminal because of your Bible teachings, I use a different barometer.

I would also like to add that many of us here share Youtube files in the "Now Playing" thread and when sharing video clips to entertain eachother or support a viewpoint. Do you consider the viewing of a artists work for which we did not pay a crime? Does it become a crime when we save it for our own use or share it with others and make them complicent in our theft? IF we watch a movie at a friends's home for which we did not pay, are we guilty of theft? IF we are going to be without sin, petty or grand then we must hold ourselves to a very strict code. Refuse to watch any Youtube videos, movies or other media for which you have not paid because whether you watch or listen to them in the moment or "save them" for later use you have still benefitted without paying. You have still stolen, have you not?
      Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-14-2012, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Now Frank your trying to justify stealing from that poor musician who only has ten rolls royces six houses all over the world and women at his beck and call shame on you

Tony

Comment

Sorry Frank, in retrospect it does sound judgmental. My sincere apologies for that.
          You're not going to convince me that your style of music download is ok, but it was wrong of me to pounce on you like that.
          "HONK if you've never seen a gun fired from a moving Harley"

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I do make my own decisions and distinctions based on changing times and technology. Years ago I did not have to pay a monthly bill to watch tv, then cable started. I used to pay for cable and pay movie channels and be able to record them on my vcr to be watched at my convenience, but they put a stop to that! The government stopped analog broadcast of tv and gummed up the works. I can still borrow music cd's from the library and copy songs for my own use. . In general I feel like I'm being squezed by regulations, squeezed at the pump and in stores. If the music is on Youtube to be listened to, then I don't consider myself a criminal for recording to be listened to at a later time. I can only hope God won't send me to hell for leading a decent life, while saving music made available for free to be listened to when I'm good and ready. I don't steal from stores, businesses, or the government. Recording artists can choose to have their music removed from Youtube. There are also many other instructional, educational and entertaining videos that can be enjoyed for personal use and not for profit by certain technology. You may not be trying to sound judgemental, but as humans that is exactly what we do to assess people and situations. I apologize if you think of me as a criminal because of your Bible teachings, I use a different barometer.

I would also like to add that many of us here share Youtube files in the "Now Playing" thread and when sharing video clips to entertain eachother or support a viewpoint. Do you consider the viewing of a artists work for which we did not pay a crime? Does it become a crime when we save it for our own use or share it with others and make them complicent in our theft? IF we watch a movie at a friends's home for which we did not pay, are we guilty of theft? IF we are going to be without sin, petty or grand then we must hold ourselves to a very strict code. Refuse to watch any Youtube videos, movies or other media for which you have not paid because whether you watch or listen to them in the moment or "save them" for later use you have still benefitted without paying. You have still stolen, have you not?
            Artists, or anyone for that matter, are paid by YouTube and other online avenues. Provided they do the background work involved. (copywriting, etc.) And what they are paid in most cases is dependent upon views or plays. So they put it out there for "free" with the symbiotic relationship that it will be viewed or heard online, counted, and the percentage paid. I'm pretty sure copy & pasting, sharing in email, Facebook, etc. counts toward views, and therefore....revenue.

Removing it, for free, from online removes the counting ability and revenue for the creator.

The New Economics of the Music Industry | Music News | Rolling Stone

Comment

Originally posted by Doctordeere View Post
              Sorry Frank, in retrospect it does sound judgmental. My sincere apologies for that.
              You're not going to convince me that your style of music download is ok, but it was wrong of me to pounce on you like that.
              Please don't apologize for being human, being judgemental, and sincere in your opinion. We have a honest difference of opinion, and as government (court) rulings evolve so will the overview of our actions. I remember when cassette recorders were common place on radio units, most folks taped songs for personal use back then. I remember when you could smack your kid on the butt without fear of arrest! I draw a distinction between saving music for my personal use, and grand theft, but I understand my thoughts are not the last word. I can only hope if there is a heaven and hell, God will look upon my trespasses as minor.

Comment

Originally posted by BobsPlumbing View Post
                Artists, or anyone for that matter, are paid by YouTube and other online avenues. Provided they do the background work involved. (copywriting, etc.) And what they are paid in most cases is dependent upon views or plays. So they put it out there for "free" with the symbiotic relationship that it will be viewed or heard online, counted, and the percentage paid. I'm pretty sure copy & pasting, sharing in email, Facebook, etc. counts toward views, and therefore....revenue.

Removing it, for free, from online removes the counting ability and revenue for the creator.

The New Economics of the Music Industry | Music News | Rolling Stone
                Bob, I know that there are many "file sharing" sites, as well as other venues where folks copy music and videos for their personal use. There is no way for artists to either keep track or be paid from all these venues.The scope of this issue is huge and growing. There is a tv commercial where two guys touch smart phones and transfer data, possibly music or videos. Even "The New Economics of the Music Industry" has it's ommissions and limitations given evolving techology. I welcome this conversation, but seriously think we have much more important things to resolve. I am not encouraging people to steal and distribute something of value, but I think if you are against saving the song for later listening then you should not listen for free in the first place. That is my take on it. Frank
                Last edited by Frankiarmz; 10-14-2012, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Bob, I know that there are many "file sharing" sites, as well as other venues where folks copy music and videos for their personal use. There is no way for artists to either keep track or be paid from all these venues.The scope of this issue is huge and growing. There is a tv commercial where two guys touch smart phones and transfer data, possibly music or videos. Even "The New Economics of the Music Industry" has it's ommissions and limitations given evolving techology. I welcome this conversation, but seriously think we have much more important things to resolve. I am not encouraging people to steal and distribute something of value, but I think if you are against saving the song for later listening then you should not listen for free in the first place. That is my take on it. Frank
                  I saw that commercial. That seemed so cool. It was basically a Samsung/Android commercial promoting things that may be better than the iPhone. The sharing of their lists probably has to do with Digital Rights Management (DRM). That sharing can only occur if the artist & company agree that ownership of that song may be "shared". It's why some hate iTunes 'cause Apple set it up with a stranglehold on the DRM in order to control and promote profit. Even some artists are against it because it can actually limit exposure. Independents more-so than the established. This is from memory. To be fair I have not read up on DRM in awhile.

I provide no judgement toward you or others choice of use at this time. However, it is currently reasonably simple in that if you use the information at the approved sites it costs you nothing and the creator has the potential to be paid. Moving the content to a device that disallows this, and crosses into what artists feel is stealing because any potential for compensation is removed, may be viewed as piracy.

I could be wrong. Contact Vevo, Sony Music, Universal Music, EMI etc. But I'm pretty sure you already know the answer.

Comment

Many of online website convert Youtube videos in mp3,mp4,avl what ever you want go on to the online converter website and past You tube video url there and get you needed format.

Comment

Working...
                    X