Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows 8

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
    Everyone that I have talked to doesnt like 8. Yes, it can be changed to operate like 7 but it's not intuitive and it's not free. There are some third party apps that force the look of 7. I dont use 8 and probably wont. I have no need for the agony of upgrading everything for a new and untested OS.

Is being left behind so bad if your current OS does everything you need? "Keeping up with the Jonses" sometimes doesnt pay off.
    Unless you have a need to be on the bleeding edge it's best to stay one version behind if you want a more stable OS.
    Most companies with large deployments of computers will stay one, sometimes two versions or service packs behind, giving a chance for bugs to surface and get fixed before they push them out to all their users. Think about the problems you may be having with one or two computers and multiply that by 3000 or more. One of the places I work has over 4000 computers at the one facility, company wide probably over 10,000. Think what a mess that would be if you pushed a faulty update out to everyones computer that got installed the next time they booted up, and you then had hundreds of people calling you every day for the next month bitching about it and losing productivity until it got fixed. You'd be serving burgers and fries at the corner fast food outlet.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
      If I had my way I'd still be running XP Pro and Office 2003. Anything since then may be more secure but they have killed any user friendly features that existed in XP and what can you say about MS-Office. Beginning with Office 2007 it has gone steadily downhill. The user interface is horrible. In Windows Explorer now you can not access your favorites and it is a PITA to navigate to network drives. Since you can't save a network path as a favorite as you could in previous versions (before Windows 7), AND adding a folder which exists on a fileserver can't be added to a library without indexing being setup on the network folder (which in most cases average users won't have the user permission to enable) you can't include a network folder in one of your libraries either. At work we just switched from XP Pro and Office 2003 to Windows 7 with Office 2010 a few months ago. I have Office 2013 at home on my windows 7 desktop computer and Office 2007 on my Vista Premium laptop computer. They ALL suck.
      Yes your right XP was a great operating system but if you don`t upgrade you are left behind Microsoft has just stopped supporting XP and if your in business your in trouble system 7 is also a great operation system but what Microsoft has down is to ignore what its clients want is an operating system that we are used to and on a desk top computer they want to the use of a mouse and thought they could dictate the terms but people are smarter than that they should have left the old desk top and put all the bells and whistles in the back ground and gave the option if one wanted the use them but not demand its our way or the highway

Tony

Comment

and people wonder why I switched to Linux 10 years ago.
        pinguyos 12.04 on 2 of my home machines
        Caine 4.0 (Forensics) on my security laptop, and Debian 6.0 on my gaming machine

its a bit harder to learn than windows but not much
        by the way all of it free.
        shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

I have a Sun Sparcstation running Solaris 10 that has seen little
          use in the past 2 years only because I lost interest in using it.
          Also ran GNOME but never really took a liking to it. I guess that's
          why I quit using it. That and Sun being sold to Oracle and along with
          it Solaris no longer being open source it now sits idle.

Anyone want a Sun Ultra30 Sparcstation? Make me an offer (complete
          with 20" monitor except no hard drives though).

Very nice machine and built like a tank compared to your average PC.

"When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
          John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

solaris wasn't a bad os but its not one for an average user as it is server centric but dependent on the hardware (memory & processor)
            it would have been better with debian or knoppix, or if your feeling brave Gentoo
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

I may have asked this before but it has just happened again. Does anyone have issues loading surveys to the Ridgid software and viewing it on a win.8 system.
              Video failed to load. Either video is corrupt or broken. Run the troubleshooter and nothing happens. Put it into Win.7 machine > no problem whatsoever

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                solaris wasn't a bad os but its not one for an average user as it is server centric but dependent on the hardware (memory & processor)
                it would have been better with debian or knoppix, or if your feeling brave Gentoo
                Now you tell me

Where were you when I was trying to figure out where my hard drive was suppose to plug into the scuzzi port

Was worried about a virus

Decided to put my flopppy disc away for safe keeping. Been so long it's now a thumb drive.

Told you I needed help

Mark, it could have been my attorney rant.

Rick.
                phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                X