• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8

Has anyone got windows 8 on their desktop and what do you think of it

Tony

Re: Windows 8

Tony, I bought a new laptop 3 months ago with Windows 8. Even has a touchscreen. Affraid to take it out of the box. Will see after tax time as I don't want to work from new software. Hopefully my brother inlaw will help set it up. He bought the same one for his wife and she loves it. But it took some time to get use to the new operating system.

Been told there is a way to downgrade to 7, but would lose the touchscreen.

In the meantime I use my samsung android tablet for most of my post the last 4 months. The touchscreen is great and easy to type on as it's all lit up for late and early night posting. It also has predictive word, but that's a nightmare if you don't watch it.

Rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Rick do you go back to the old desk top or use the window 8 pains on the screen I was looking at upgrading but would have to upgrade quickbooks and all my other programs

Tony

Comment

Tony, I take it you have found out that your current accounting package wont work with win 8.
        Just another pain in the wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
          Rick do you go back to the old desk top or use the window 8 pains on the screen I was looking at upgrading but would have to upgrade quickbooks and all my other programs

Tony
          Is there a reason to upgrade? If your current machine is fast enough, stable, and secure why do the change? If you want Win 8 buy a smaller, less expensive machine as a "tester" before you decide to make a switch you may regret.
          ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Tony, not sure yet as it's still in the box waiting for the pressure to be off and sit down to learn it.

Rick.
            phoebe it is

Comment

sheesh im still xp. imho, its a rare 'upgrade' that is actually any better. most are just different, maybe with some wow factor, but mostly just annoying to have to relearn how to do things.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

I've had a new copy of Adobe XI Pro sitting in my desk for over a month for the same reason.

Mark
                "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                  Is there a reason to upgrade? If your current machine is fast enough, stable, and secure why do the change? If you want Win 8 buy a smaller, less expensive machine as a "tester" before you decide to make a switch you may regret.
                  I like to keep up with new window versions as I don`t want to be left behind from 1987 to 2005 I ran an apple mac but had to change to a windows computer to run business programs that I couldn`t buy or run on the mac at that time and each time I upgraded my computer I upgraded the operating system and now I am wondering how successful window 8 is in the US and could it be another Vista and if so could they revert back to a desk top version with a windows 9 or are we going to be stuck with the window pain version

Tony

Comment

Everyone that I have talked to doesnt like 8. Yes, it can be changed to operate like 7 but it's not intuitive and it's not free. There are some third party apps that force the look of 7. I dont use 8 and probably wont. I have no need for the agony of upgrading everything for a new and untested OS.

Is being left behind so bad if your current OS does everything you need? "Keeping up with the Jonses" sometimes doesnt pay off.
                    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I got the Windows 8 in my desktop...!!!
                      It is good but not compatible like window 7 or XP.
                      Just try it the new features are amazing.

Comment

I was reading in the news paper that Micorsoft is going to review its windows 8 as it is looseing money as businesses are not upgrading to winndow 8 so the start button and desktop is on the cards to come back what a pack of morons for snubbing its customers

Tony

Comment

Just read Microsoft have woken up and are giving windows 8 and 8.1 the flick and will be bringing out windows 9 in 2015 as their selling more windows 7 than 8 or 8.1 I cannot understand how a company as big as Microsoft makes so many buggar up with vista and windows 8 you would think they would ask their clients the users on the ground what they want in stead of forcing what they want

Tony

Comment

its all about the money and giving the nsa the advantage to pull your pants off and probe you
                            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ace Sewer View Post
                              sheesh im still xp. imho, its a rare 'upgrade' that is actually any better. most are just different, maybe with some wow factor, but mostly just annoying to have to relearn how to do things.
                              If I had my way I'd still be running XP Pro and Office 2003. Anything since then may be more secure but they have killed any user friendly features that existed in XP and what can you say about MS-Office. Beginning with Office 2007 it has gone steadily downhill. The user interface is horrible. In Windows Explorer now you can not access your favorites and it is a PITA to navigate to network drives. Since you can't save a network path as a favorite as you could in previous versions (before Windows 7), AND adding a folder which exists on a fileserver can't be added to a library without indexing being setup on the network folder (which in most cases average users won't have the user permission to enable) you can't include a network folder in one of your libraries either. At work we just switched from XP Pro and Office 2003 to Windows 7 with Office 2010 a few months ago. I have Office 2013 at home on my windows 7 desktop computer and Office 2007 on my Vista Premium laptop computer. They ALL suck.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X