X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Ghost Electronics

I have sort of shyed away from Apple products because they seemed to have unusual, or hard to understand things about them. I don't know how to properly explain it, they are just not straight forward , black and white. Last year my daughter gave me her old ipod touch 32gigs. I have downloaded three hundred videos from YouTube that I watch when I walk on a treadmill at the gym. I thought it might be nice to view these on my tv at home so I ordered a audio/video patch cord off the Internet. Since I can plug my ipod into the treadmill at the gym and watch the contents on the screen I figured why not at home?

I got the cord and hooked it up to a tv and also a DVD player I have. The video will play perfectly for about a minute and a half then I get a trouble message on my ipod, "this accessory is not supported by ipod touch". I have changed settings to prevent autolock, but to no avail. The cord works on my iphone without shutting down. What annoys me is that I think it should either work or not work. The fact that it works for a minute or so tells me the cord is not defective and the ipod touch has some mystery electronics going inside. My daughter took the cord and ipod to an Apple store and the tech said nothing can be done, even with their cord these things happen. Amazing technology for sure, and still strange in my opinion. Frank

Re: Apple Ghost Electronics

Apparently Apple brands 'approved' cables to work with their devices and the OS looks for the restricting features.

Can't play video to TV on iPod Touch 2G.... - MacRumors Forums

Solving accessory incompatibility issues with the latest iPhone/iPods - Pocketables

Internet knockoffs without the unlocking chips or other 'safety' features may work for a short time or not work at all. The Apple store giving that excuse is their way of trying to get you to buy new.
    ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Thanks for the info. the tech at the Apple store made it sound as if their cable was not any better. I will get to the store myself and see if I can buy their cable and return it if it does not work. I like the idea of playing my ipod through a tv, and if I have to buy the offical cable I will.
      One good thing is that the knockoff cable does work with my iphone so I can play pictures and vidoes I take.

Comment

Rumor has it their cables can be upwards of $60
        ~~

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
          Rumor has it their cables can be upwards of $60
          I wouldn't be surprised. Funny but if I live long enough all of this will eventually become old technology just like the unwanted and unused records, 8tracks and cassettes we see at tag/garage sales. I'll probably be able to pick up one of those cables for a dollar. Can you imagine what technology we will have ten years from now? Thirty years ago when I was listening to seven songs on a vinyl record I could not believe we would one day have the ability to store and play thousands of songs and video on something smaller than a pack of cigarettes!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            I wouldn't be surprised. Funny but if I live long enough all of this will eventually become old technology just like the unwanted and unused records, 8tracks and cassettes we see at tag/garage sales. I'll probably be able to pick up one of those cables for a dollar. Can you imagine what technology we will have ten years from now? Thirty years ago when I was listening to seven songs on a vinyl record I could not believe we would one day have the ability to store and play thousands of songs and video on something smaller than a pack of cigarettes!
            I am amazed at the advancements we have made, but I can only image what its like for people that are 20+ years older then I am having seen such a giant swing in technological advancement.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
              I am amazed at the advancements we have made, but I can only image what its like for people that are 20+ years older then I am having seen such a giant swing in technological advancement.
              I imagine it is hard for some of the younger generation to visualize what it was like to pick up a telephone, listen to see if another party was on, then, if clear, an operator would say "Number please". Ours was "Tower-368". I saw on TV a "first" cell phone.I clearly remember when that was a miracle. And we used to kid around and tell people we could see them when we called on the phone. Called it "Phone-a-vision. Now they call it Skype and it really happens. Yes, I have seen lots of changes, but it is hard to keep up. How many remember the "Brownie" camera?

Comment

Kid I remember them cameras, I also made a box camera. I remember being a kid and just having a telephone on the kitchen wall, a black and white tv in the living room and am radio so we could hear the traffic and news. No cell phones, Internet and all we have today. Sure was not as noisy, even at the beach it was quiet, no jet skis! I am truly amazed by all the technology and advancements. We could not imagine being able to take picture, and have it photo quality paper that same day unless we developed the film and processed the print with chemicals.
                I have seen a 2 minute super 8 film camera evolve into something the size of a pack of cards that can record HD and sound for hours!

The difference in age of twenty or so years means a lot when it comes to witnessing and appreciating all the advancements. Twenty year olds can't imagine a world without all these technologies, when they would have to rely on pay phones to communicate over distances, or libraries to research information. My cell phone recently told me the difference between a chalice and a goblet in seconds, simply amazing!

Comment

Apple is running out of ideas from area 51

Tony

Comment

because the idea-maker died. it's now a rehash of old stuff
                    ~~

Comment

Remember the poison from the pellet is in the pestle from the vessel it's the chalice from the palace that's the brew that is true eh eh!!

Comment

Originally posted by killavolt View Post
                        Remember the poison from the pellet is in the pestle from the vessel it's the chalice from the palace that's the brew that is true eh eh!!
                        Have not heard that in many years! RIP Danny Kaye.

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
                          because the idea-maker died. it's now a rehash of old stuff
                          exactly now its just the corporate weasels trying to pinch you out of every penny they can get
                          same as with i phones if you have an app in it that they didn't make they can remove it without your consent any time you are near an apple communication tower or station

hence the earned name "crapple" from anyone in the linux community
                          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

thats all ive ever had is apple. started with a powermac g3, then a g4 and now a macpro. also have a program called vmware fushion i can run that enables me to rune windows on my macpro, in fact i can run windows at the same time im running macs osx lion. as for not being straight forward, well for me at least mac is much easier and way better, not to mention safer, than windows. just look at all the programs on tv where they use apple computers, csi and a lot more. there pretty much virus proof, unless you actually download one and install it yourself. ive been all over the internet, to sites that shouldn't go to and done things should of done, but still works perfect. so i say get a mac and then a virtual machine like vmware fushion so if needed you can use windows. a lot of business are switching to macs because of the constant updating of virus protection, at a cost ofccourse, they just get tired of it. every one says macs dont get viruses because they dont target them, theyve been saying that for years and years. yeah right, even though apple offered thousand to anyone that could do it. anything you can do on a windows computer you can do on a mac. people don like mac because you cant go into walmart and buy a mac for $400.00. just my opinion, and we all have them, those and butts and they both stink.

Comment

Originally posted by hotrod351 View Post
                              there pretty much virus proof,
                              this is a very common misconception. the new ones are just as prone as any windows machine to viruses, malformed java and html, and spyware. the old PPC machines had about 4 or so known viruses. the reason you dont hear about it more often is that there are WAY more windows based operating systems being used.
                              ~~

Comment

Working...
                              X