X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital SLR Camera

I`m looking at buying a new Digital SLR camera for around $1000.00 a Canon or Nikon or whatever and am wondering which one would be the best around this price range as my old Minolta SLR gave up the ghost and I have a number of old Minolta of tele lens for it and am wondering if they would fit any of the newer SLR cameras

Tony

Re: Digital SLR Camera

I have a Pentax that is as good as any of them. Looked into Nikon, Canon, Panasonic, Sony, etc.

That was 2 or 3 years ago. Not long after, digital zoom "Point and Shoot" cameras along with those built into phones started getting better and better.

Unless your a more hardcore enthusiast, I'd recommend a good Point-and-Shoot. That's what I would buy now instead of a digital SLR. Megapixels are high enough on the majority of them that you can zoom at home after download.

Comment

Originally posted by AFM View Post
      I`m looking at buying a new Digital SLR camera for around $1000.00 a Canon or Nikon or whatever and am wondering which one would be the best around this price range as my old Minolta SLR gave up the ghost and I have a number of old Minolta of tele lens for it and am wondering if they would fit any of the newer SLR cameras

Tony
      Digital Photography Review: Digital Photography Review

is a great place to see all the pros and cons on all types of digital cameras.
      They show the differences between models, have in depth reviews, etc.

I've had a number of P&S and DSLRs over the years. I was heavy into Canon 35mm film cameras and had thought I could use those lenses on the new DSLRs. Well yes you can and no you can't. You may be able to mount them (with an adapter), but they will most likely be 100% manual. So that would make sports or fast action photography more difficult, but not impossible. After all just about all photography was full manual in the 70s and earlier. So I ended up not using any of my old lenses, they are still collecting dust, and I bought a couple good zooms to cover just about everything I do. You'll find good lens reviews on there too, as well as lots of information on Wikipedia if you want to research a family of lenses.

So now i have a Canon EOS XSi and a T2i which use the same lenses and mostly the same accessories like external battery grip. I also have a Canon G-1 which i keep in my truck now. It's about 13 years old but still works fine.

If you have old flash units DON'T USE THEM ON NEWER CAMERAS UNTIL YOU'VE TESTED THE FLASH TRIGGER VOLTAGE. You could destroy your new camera.
      My old Vivitar 283 and 285 flash units which were very popular and good flash units in their time both have too high of a trigger voltage to be used on my new cameras, so they too collect dust even though they work just fine. I do use them as off-camera flashes and trigger them by wireless remote, and in that capacity they work just fine.

All in all though the camera on my Galaxy Note 3 is all I need for most stuff. And all the different modes you can shoot make it hard to put down in favor of a DSLR.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 02-10-2014, 05:09 PM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I bought a Nikon D3200 DSLR camera with an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm twin VR Lens kit

Tony

Comment

It's wise to get a DSLR and lens of the same brand and generation. I met a rep from a large digital camera company a few months ago and he told me that modern DSLR cameras communicate electronically with the attached lens to make all kinds of fine adjustments that will optimize the photo. This pairing of the camera with the lens only occurs if they are designed to work with each other. So while a different brand of lens may fit the camera, you won't benefit from the latest optimization technology unless you use the same brand of lens and camera.

Of course, you only buy a DSLR because you have a special requirement that is not supported by a conventional point-and-shoot camera. If you take long distance shots (e.g., sporting events, wildlife), then a DSLR with a telephoto lens makes sense.

Comment

I can't offer much advice except to check out the posted link to the reviews. So much has changed in just a short number of years and the changes are pretty dramatic.

I used to use a camera as part of my 'technical illustration' skill-set, not only doing the line-illustrations but also most of the photography of the technical manuals and presentations. Even processing my own film for a rather long period.

My current personal digital is significantly dated, being a Nikon Coolpix 995 and for work we had a Nikon D4 (which I think set us back almost $15K with a couple of lens). Way beyond my budget both then and now.

I too am looking for a new digital, and I'd love to have an D-SLR. I have a Canon "New F1" and a ton of accessories including both lenses, large grip flash, and even a bellows unit with slide duplicator, etc.; but I doubt that any of that would be compatible with today's camera's. (that system cost me more than $2k back in the early 80's.)

While I don't do that kind of photography anymore, it sure would be nice to have more than just "point and shoot" capability" though; I'd like to be able to do macro-photography and have low-light capability too, and even motion and time-lapse capability.

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 03-01-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X