Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

If you didn't hear, Microsoft plans to give Windows 10 away FREE to those using Windows 7 or 8. The deal is available to those who upgrade in the first year of Windows 10 (form public launch date).

http://www.pcworld.com/article/28732...d-8-users.html

Great you say. Well I say nothing is free so what are you giving up by dumping your current version of Windows and signing the license agreement for Windows 10 ??
    There must be something in it for Microsoft to be taking this action, more than fighting off the competition. I know they gave Internet Explorer away free in the beginning to fight Netscape's commanding lead in the browser wars of the 90s but there is something in this that doesn't smell right. What is in the current agreement that Microsoft doesn't want to have to continue to live up to?

I don't think I will be jumping on this band wagon very fast, I'll let a few lemmings take the plunge and see how they land before I 'upgrade'.

What about you, what do you think of Microsoft's move?
    "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

I`m going to wait and see what the suckers who jump first say about windows 10 before I upgrade as windows 7 has served me vary well

Tony

Comment

I don't know if there is a catch or not Bob D. Windows 8 was the worst creation ever for a traditional Windows laptop/desktop in my opinion. Just an unbelievable mess. Could be offering it due to this.

Comment

Yes, that's probably part of it. But they've made the same blunder before; remember Windows ME or Vista? And they never
        felt the least bit sorry for taking your money with that mess (ME).

I had two laptops with Vista and is was fine. I don't know what everyone complained about. But most people didn't like it.
        Right now I am running Windows 7 Pro. At work we have Windows 7E (enterprise) which is pretty much the same as 7 Pro
        but with added admin features. Wife has 8.1 on her laptop and she hasn't complained. Me I have never even tried Windows 8
        so couldn't tell you anything about it. I'll stick with 7 Pro for now.

----

Comment

The wife recently got a new laptop with Windows 8, so far, I don't like it very much. Been running 7 on my PC for a number of years and, probably because it's what I'm used too, I prefer it over 8. I doubt if I'll take them up on that offer anytime soon.
          Diapers and Politicians need to be changed often... Usually for the same reason.

Comment

If you don't like 10 just restore your unit back to factory specs using the restore feature. Not a huge deal as this should be done every year or so anyway to keep operating efficiency.

Comment

I think operating systems have been developed for the majority of people to the point of redundancy. I can't recall anyone in this group ever saying "I am dying for them to come out with the new operating system. I'm unable to do a, b, or c with this one."

And the designers are in a position of having to create something new to justify their existence and profit for the company. So they seem to have come up with a cycle of make new system, stop supporting it, create new system, stop supporting it. When no-one really "needs" a new system at all.

Comment

Security flaws/threats and coding errors probably drive the creation of more new software rather than to keep patching existing.

----

Comment

People don`t like change for the sake of it and Microsofts couldn`t care less about its clients if it did it would have left the desktop alone and put all the bells and whistles in the back ground and let their clients use them if they wished but no they couldn`t allow that and the amazing thing they did it with Vista and again with windows 8 do they ever learn evidently not

Tony

Comment

Windows 10 will be free only for the first year. After that you'll have to pay for it... upgrade basically. If you won't upgrade you'll have to go back to your previous version of Windows. Of course, they bet on the new W10 a lot - that most of us will go for it and pay for it after the first year. If they don't give it for free at all... only some will pay for the upgrade right after launch. If they give it for free for a year... much more who tried it will pay for the upgrade after the first year. It's just marketing. They hook you up knowing you'll pay after the first year.
                    Dan

Comment

I read on PCWorld its yours for free forever if you get it in the first year. You will not have to pay for it after one year.

Where did you get your information from?

----

Comment

On some blogs, after the initial announcement. Can't find it now. You might be right and it could be free if you upgrade in the first year.
                        Dan

Comment

to each his own on choosing to stay with microsoft
                          Ive been a linux user for over 12 years now and couldnt be happier.
                          I still get a lot of computers in the shop with ms-crap ware in them and i havent seen any improvements but a lot more problems.
                          forensic work takes up a lot of time, and teaching takes up a fair bit as well.
                          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gnuuser View Post
                            ... Ive been a linux user for over 12 years now and couldn't be happier.
                            I'm a windows guy but I have some friends who love linux. Which distribution do you like most (e.g., Ubuntu, Debian, ...)?

Comment

buntu, debian, and knoppix. a lot of forensic work my most used distro is pinguyos (a version of ubuntu made in the UK.)

this is a good one for a windows user to migrate too and the best thing is its free
                              Last edited by gnuuser; 03-02-2015, 09:33 PM.
                              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X