Windows 10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by john360 View Post
    According to me, Windows 10 is the best Windows Microsoft has ever produced.
    It is fast, user-friendly and a lot compatible than any of its predecessors.
    Fast and user friendly my a$$. My wife's new desktop out of the box moved at a snail's pace on Windows 10. It would take 5-10 seconds to open a new window for ie. She got tired of it after a week and had me set it up with Linux.
    Thing works great now
    -Byron

Comment

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Very interesting, I like it. "Buck the system" is a phrase that comes to mind. I'm curious though, are thereany draw backs with it?

• Cable or root
      Cable or root commented
      Editing a comment
      No, not really it's all fairly simple. We put Linux mint 18 on it. Years ago I had a laptop with Linux mint 11 so it was a fairly simple transition. the wifi drivers didn't work right when it was first installed ans so I had to update them and play with the configuration but other than that no issues at all. It even comes with a 100% free version of word that still uses the docx format. Netflix and the forums work on it as well. Easy peasy. Im not a gamer, that's the only issue I can for see is if someone was a gamer I imagine most games don't run on linux. Not sure if the Ridgid HQ software would run on linux with wine or not. Never bothered trying. Fits my needs perfectly though.

• Mightyservant
      Mightyservant commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the information, I've got to look into it. Windows looks cool but it sucks imo. Window XP is fast and smooth but I don't keep it connected and I use Apple for non work related things. I'm not a gamer either so it might work for me.

Windows 10 Leak Exposes Microsoft's New Monthly Charge

Is this a good time to say, I told you so?
    Jack

I've learned a lot from my past experiences.
    I've learned nothing from my passed experiences.

Comment

Originally posted by res057 View Post
      This "free" software won't be quite so free when it turns into a subscription based service.
      I can see it now...$49.99 a year. An extra $19.99 for upgrade package A. $9.99 For package B to make package A fully functional. Oh, you want email, too? That'll be another $19.99 for basic and $29.99 for the pro version. Sorry, but all user installed software must be on our pre-approved vendors list. You can find those vendors in the Microsoft store.

*waiting for the other shoe to drop in 3, 2, 1...*

It took a while but that shoe HAS dropped, and with a big THUD. MS has been moving toward subscription based revenue for many years. Office365 was the beginning of that for the average user a couple years ago. You now pay $69 a year for a single user Office365 subscription or more for additional users.

Now, they are moving their OS in that direction.

I don't think it will be long before computing comes full circle and we are back to a client/server relationship like you had in the beginning (50s, 60s, 70s). No one had a desktop computer, they didn't exist.

Everyone will connect to a mainframe computer through a dumb terminal over the internet is where I see this going. That supercomputer will have any software you might want to use on it and which you can be subscribed to by the hour, day, week, month or year, all at different rates. You'll have 'cloud' as well as local storage using a portable SSD, a USB Thumb drive, micro SD card on your phone or tablet, or similar storage device. Maybe you'll have a network drive (NAS or similar device) on your home network where you can save data and access it from any device on your home network or remotely if you allow outside access. All software will be by subscription.

It will all be sold as done in the name of security and for your convenience.

I can hear it now: "You'll never have to upgrade again" . :-)

Just keep those checks coming. :-)

Why? It creates a more stable revenue stream for the company. If you think about the past and how Microsofts' revenue must have cycled up/down as each new OS was introduced and then the lull between which is what probably provided the incentive for them to keep cranking out new versions instead of patches and upgrades which people would not be as willing to pay for. It's also the reason behind other changes like the new file format the MS-Office introduced which makes older versions of Office more difficult to use today. While it may still function fine and have all the features you want if you can't save in the new file format to exchange information with others then you become more and more disadvantaged in the business world and are eventually forced to upgrade just so you can communicate with others, submit bids, etc.

But with a subscription based model you'll always have the latest and greatest version of Windows because there will only be one, which is constantly patched or enhanced and to which new features will be added, at the applicable rate of course.

AND, it will be impossible for you to run an air-gapped system to which no one has access but yourself. So whoever they choose to let watch over your shoulder will have full access to every keystroke and you'll never know and no way to defend against or prevent it.
      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-07-2018, 09:08 AM.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

----

Comment

Have you read the article? It's an option that includes hardware for businesses and agancies. Not for Windows home pc's.
        -Byron

Comment

It just seems like an underhanded way to do business since at one time if you bought the software you owned it. AutoCAD has been doing it that way for a few years now and it's nice to get updates and the latest improvements but you do get a feeling that your on a leash.

I'm sure it didn't help things being able to get all manner of pirated software worth thousands of dollars for nothing.

Comment

• Bob D.
            Bob D. commented
            Editing a comment
            That's another issue that subscriptions helps solve, but not eliminate, as the hackers will find a way around that too.

• Mightyservant
            Mightyservant commented
            Editing a comment
            You ever check out the Pirate sites, it's shocking what's available.

You can clone hard disks and have and endless supply of machines with all the hardware you want for the cost of the machine plus the fee ( I'm told).

Yes. I did read the article. If you can't see that it will be coming to home PC's, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
          Jack

I've learned a lot from my past experiences.
          I've learned nothing from my passed experiences.

Comment

Tbh I dislike win10 and really don't care, I will using win7 as long as I can because this is the only OS which can be controlled by a holder, not the otherwise.

Comment

linux is easier to install than it was many years ago and with so many distros to choose from you have a world open to you, But if you are security conscious you will pay attention to all the hardening methods available to you. how you choose and set up your partitioning and format scheme make a heck of a lot of difference in your system security.
              most distros use a default partitioning and format scheme that makes for easy installation but leaves an inherent weakness in the system.
              while you may be able to write a script that may penetrate one format and not be detected, if you wrote a script to penetrate every format linux can be configured with it would be quite large and easily detected.

microsofts use of a limited number of format schemes (ntfs,fat32,fat16) and single os partition (not counting rebuild partition) is its primary weakness.
              nothing is stopping a hacker from debugging the os and searching for the backdoors left in the program by the development crew
              that in itself is another weakness (S#!tty programming and poor quality control)
              this is why its so rife with trashware, spyware and all.

while many would argue that mac is better you have to look at the picture from all sides such as many people dont have the money to pay the ridiculous prices for apple products.
              I can honestly say that since i have switched to linux I have never had a system hacked (although plenty have tried they couldnt get past my firewall encryption)
              and the only os failure i had since 1996 was a hard drive that finally died!
              Last edited by gnuuser; 11-30-2018, 10:17 AM.
              shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
              X